You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, June 22nd 2017, 6:32pm

Something for the Summer Doldrums

It’s summer, and things are somewhat slow. I went cruising on Shipbucket and found one of the members there had posted a link to Associazione Navimodellisti Bolognesi – an Italian web site that apparently has detailed plans of various ships available for purchase. They have half-way decent profile drawings, and I snagged a few to clean up and share.

From what I can decipher of the description of this particular vessel, it is supposed to be a small auxiliary tender, constructed on an incomplete hull of a wartime Gabbiano-class antisubmarine corvette. I added the light AA gun on the bandstand forward.

Saturday, June 24th 2017, 1:00am

The description of the source page for this drawing calls it a ‘battello posareti e posamine’- “a boat for harbor use, used to implement protective barriers, presumably in the naval base of Taranto” [thanks Google].

I would consider this some sort of harbor netlayer or boom tender – almost a barge. No details on the actual dimensions other that is overall length – 34 meters. For harbor use it would not need a lot of speed.

Saturday, June 24th 2017, 1:17am

Interesting!

Saturday, June 24th 2017, 2:50pm

Very interesting drawings, many thanks for sharing them here.

Saturday, June 24th 2017, 3:12pm

Very interesting drawings, many thanks for sharing them here.

You're both quite welcome. I've snagged a few more that I am going to try and clean up. Lots of interesting stuff on that site.

Saturday, July 1st 2017, 1:33pm

The Italian mixed-cargo vessel Citta di Siracusa, built in 1949 as a cargo ship but sold in 1952 and placed into service on a mixed traffic run to Sicilian ports.

Wednesday, July 5th 2017, 7:41pm

Coastal Cargo Vessel

Another item from the Associazione Navimodellisti Bolognesi. A civilian small coastal cargo vessel, rated at 32 meters, dating to the early postwar period.

Friday, July 7th 2017, 9:53am

Nice work Bruce.

Monday, July 10th 2017, 8:22pm

Transport Ship Stromboli

This is another drawing ‘inspired’ by the Associazione Navimodellisti Bolognesi web site – the postwar Italian transport ship Stromboli.

I was actually able to find some data for her. She and her sister Vesuvio were laid down during the war as merchantmen and completed around 1949 for the Italian Navy. Navypedia gives the following specifications for the Stromboli: 4,900 tons standard, 6,160 tons full load. 102 x 14 x 7 meters. One shaft, geared steam turbines, 13.5 knots. Radius 3,350 nm at 11 knots.

Despite the appearance of a landing craft on her foredeck she was not truly an amphibious transport – though she might have borne an APA designation. She was more of a troop transport, while her sister Vesuvio was a cargo transport. Both passed out of Italian service by the late 1960s/early 1970s.

Tuesday, July 11th 2017, 9:57am

Its a pity this site resizes big drawings and that PB is incapable of showing a bigger version when you click on it, but it looks good from what I can see.

Tuesday, July 11th 2017, 12:07pm

Thanks! I am still wrestling with what to do with Photobucket, and the options are not great.

Tuesday, July 18th 2017, 8:37pm

Motor Cargo Vessel

The web site for these plans call it “Motonave da Carico”, the best translation of which I can find equates to motor cargo vessel. It was apparently a project dating from 1946 for a small (90-meter) cargo vessel that would be well suited for the Mediterranean and Levant trades at the time. The provision for a gangway on the starboard side suggests that a number of passengers were to be accommodated Other than length, no details provided on the site. :(

Wednesday, July 19th 2017, 9:51am

That's a nice looking design too, very sleek for 1946, certainly has some Italian flair.

Wednesday, July 19th 2017, 12:57pm

That's a nice looking design too, very sleek for 1946, certainly has some Italian flair.

Yes, the Italians had some very sleek designs; too bad that fight after the war there was so much surplus shipping, or this design might have been built. By the 1950s similarly-inspired ships were emerging from European yards.

Monday, July 24th 2017, 7:08pm

1930s vintage Freighter

Another adaptation of a drawing I found in the archives of Associazione Navimodellisti Bolognesi; a small 1930s vintage cargo vessel. Not certain whether it was a steamer or a motorship – I think the latter. For prewar trade the small size of the vessel would have been less of an issue.