You are not logged in.

Monday, March 6th 2017, 3:55pm

I'm a bit distracted at the moment due to some real-life issues, but I've got a buffer of news and articles that I can post from. So whether you advance or hold off, I don't much care. (Which reminds me that I keep forgetting to upload the pdf report on the Chilean 1947 tank trials. Oops.) I've also still got some French news to post for 1947, but nothing much is going to happen there that should draw any comment or controversy.

Saturday, March 18th 2017, 3:52pm

Winter's been knocking me down and taking my lunch money. Over spring break I've been covering for my boss at work, and covering for another farm at home - NOT RELAXING.

So I need your input on the Nordmark/Bharat deal, because Valles ain't around now. I can back this up with PMs, but to summarize, the deal was:

-Bharat contributed to the Nordmark civilian atomic program; no military function was contemplated.
-Bharat paid in cash for some services
-Bharat opened up domestic markets to Nordmark

-Nordmark spent 1 IP per year for 1947-50 in Bharat
-Nordmark built two hospital ships, ten sloops, and ten minesweepers for Bharat over the same time period.

Mechanically, this worked out to Nordmark spending ~3,930 t/quarter on Bharat in exchange for storyline fluff.

Given that Nordmark is now functionally inactive/NPC, are y'all comfortable or uncomfortable with this deal proceeding as I eyeball catching up?

Saturday, March 18th 2017, 5:21pm

I think it was out of character for Nordmark [1], but those *are* the terms that I remember Valles setting up, and I don't see any reason to protest if you take advantage of those terms.

( [1] - For clarification, I think these are the sorts of terms you'd make with longstanding buddies, which to me doesn't really describe the Nordish-Bharati relationship as I understood it. Like, I could've seen these terms with regards to South Africa or maybe Germany, because that relationship had existed in prior history.)

Just my two cents' opinion, of course. Like I said, no protests here.

Saturday, March 18th 2017, 5:32pm

You're right, the relationship isn't especially mature, but there had been some interaction via exercises beforehand. I chose to order relatively benign ships from the Nords for that reason - it should not alarm the average Nord to learn that their shipyards are building hospital ships, minesweepers, and sloops for the Bharatis...

...even if it means that the Bharatis can then focus on landing ships and submarines. But let's not dig that far.

Thanks for the input, Brock. I'll await other responses.

Saturday, March 18th 2017, 10:26pm

I have no reason to doubt that the deal described is something that Valles would have concluded. When Germany and Nordmark discussed the transfer of the Nordish aircraft carrier Gassen in exchange for jet technology he originally proposed transferring the Gassen in exchange for fluff alone; I insisted on a least a nominal payment in tonnage, as otherwise I would be getting ‘something’ for ‘nothing’. Or at least that is how I put it at the time.

I still feel that way on the Bharat-Nordmark exchange – Bharat is getting a lot for practically nothing. But I will be honest enough to say that I am not adamantly opposed to it – just that it sets a very poor precedent, IMHO. I recognize that Bharat has not abused the agreement and confined itself to relatively benign vessels. I recognize that we are entering the end game and the long-term impact will be small. So I will say I am not entirely happy but not ready enough to protest loudly.

Sunday, March 19th 2017, 11:05am

I have no protests either, its an unusual set-up but there's no pressing reason to oppose it.

Monday, May 1st 2017, 1:47pm

A quick question to everyone.
Assuming the oft quoted 1950 end date for the sim, based on the last date setting in Springsharp, would I be assuming that the last quarter of play will be Q4/1950?
Just want to know as I might drawn up some 1950 reports where I can to save time later on. I see no reason why we can't get a full year of use from SS during 1950 and logically 31 December 1950 would be the last date.

Technically given SS doesn't have incremental improvements every year, but every couple or so, its conceivable we could continue for 1951/52 using the 1950 setting but I think by then (another 2-3 real years) there will be few players left to make that a worthwhile option, but its an option if things do pick up and we get more players back.

Monday, May 1st 2017, 2:10pm

Assuming the oft quoted 1950 end date for the sim, based on the last date setting in Springsharp, would I be assuming that the last quarter of play will be Q4/1950?

I've been presuming so as well.

Though technically, I wouldn't mind playing through the 1950s if we could agree on some house rules for the technological advancements that start appearing in that era (missiles, helicopters, etc). The question is whether or not we'd have enough players to make that worthwhile. RL has been kicking me a bit and taking all my useful free time, but I'm intending to stay until we choose to end, even if I'm just muddling through.

Monday, May 1st 2017, 3:54pm

I've been presuming so as well.

Though technically, I wouldn't mind playing through the 1950s if we could agree on some house rules for the technological advancements that start appearing in that era (missiles, helicopters, etc). The question is whether or not we'd have enough players to make that worthwhile. RL has been kicking me a bit and taking all my useful free time, but I'm intending to stay until we choose to end, even if I'm just muddling through.

I am rather with Brock on this; while I've got the time and interest, I don't think that applies to many. I am expecting that 4Q50 will be our quietus, unless we get a flood of new, active, members.