You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, November 16th 2016, 8:45pm

Dutch ships desappeared....

Wednesday, November 16th 2016, 9:04pm

Yup, not just those ships but U.S.S. Houston has shown signs of salvage along with HMS Repulse and Prince of wales. HMS Exeter is also gone(!) while HMS Electra and HMS Encounter are almost completely salvaged as well. The U.S.S. Perch is also missing and even WW1 German and British wrecks have been pillaged. This actually makes my blood boil to be honest.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/n…enging-java-sea

Thursday, November 17th 2016, 9:32am

Its a terrible thing to happen but how can anyone realistically police this?
I wouldn't have thought that old rusty steel would be worth much even as scrap metal?

Thursday, November 17th 2016, 2:50pm

Its a terrible thing to happen but how can anyone realistically police this?

It'd be really manpower-intensive to police them all, I'd say. You count on general human decency to get you something, and look what results...

I wouldn't have thought that old rusty steel would be worth much even as scrap metal?

I'm hardly an expert at it, but I think if the steel is thick enough, the outer layers of rust will slow down any further rusting deeper within the plates (kinda like a passivation treatment). So the thicker, high-grade steel of an old warship may still have a lot of good steel to... steal. And a modern steel furnace can process even old rusted steel fairly easily, so those ships are probably now high-rise apartments in China or Indonesia...

Friday, November 25th 2016, 6:05pm

Brock is sadly right, in the right conditions (i.e wet with little to no oxygen) steel rusts much more slowly (hence why the Titanic is still fairly solid, when if she was above water, she would have rusted away by now).

High grade steel used for warships, as well as the non ferrous metals in items such as guns are highly valuable. The market for military memorabelia is also highly bouyant, especially for warships lost in action as items are always more scarce.

Saturday, December 31st 2016, 9:33pm

There's also extremely high demand for steel produced prior to the first nuclear detonations, for scientific applications, and the number one resource for that is old (even sunk) ships.