You are not logged in.

Monday, July 4th 2016, 8:20pm

Sturmhaubitze Braunbär

In 1947 a decision was made to upgrade the Heer’s existing inventory of Sturmgeschütz III infantry support vehicles by replacement of the short-barreled 7.5cm KwK 40 with the 10.5cm Sturmhaubitze 46, a derivative of the well-tested 10.5cm leFH 18. The decision was based upon the need for vehicle capable of delivering both direct and indirect fire, which would supplant the towed 7.5cm and 15cm infantry guns still serving in the Heer’s infantry formations. The StuH46 was also capable of firing projectiles of the new
“Quetschkopf” type, which offered greater power for attacking static defence positions and fortified bunkers.

The work of upgrading existing vehicles was assigned to several factories and Heer depots under the oversight of Mühlenbau und Industrie AG of Braunschweig.

General Data

Crew: 4
Weight: 23,000 kg
Length: 6.14 metres
Width: 2.96 metres
Height: 2.15 metres
Armour: 80-19 millimetres
Engine: Maybach HL 120 TRM V-12 300 hp petrol engine driving six-speed transmission

Armament

Main: 10.5cm StuH 46 (48 rounds)
Secondary: 7.92mm MG42 (600 rounds)

Performance

Power/weight ratio: 12.6 hp/tonne
Operational range: 155 kilometres
Road speed: 40 kph

Thursday, July 7th 2016, 9:35am

Re: 'Quetschkopf', are we ok using HESH now? I remember several heated debates about this in the past.
I think we're probably historically sound now but it would be good to gain a consensus.

Thursday, July 7th 2016, 12:04pm

Re: 'Quetschkopf', are we ok using HESH now? I remember several heated debates about this in the past.
I think we're probably historically sound now but it would be good to gain a consensus.

I see no reason why we would not, given this point in time. Particularly when dealing with fortifications.

Thursday, July 7th 2016, 3:03pm

I'm probably fine if the 'leading powers' started dabbling in HESH.

My memory about the past debates was that a minor country tried to steal the idea before even the originating powers developed it, and without ever putting in any sort of development effort. Just pushing the button and getting a magic new toy.

As for the vehicle... "I didn't choose the StuG life, the StuG life chose me." ;) (It's a knockoff of an internet meme, for those who don't get it.)

Saturday, July 9th 2016, 8:21am

Well played sir!

Saturday, July 9th 2016, 2:31pm

Good to know.