You are not logged in.

Friday, May 20th 2016, 5:38pm

Irish News, 1947

Yearly summary

Friday, May 20th 2016, 5:40pm

Monday, January 27, 1947
Sources close to the Irish Naval Service indicate that the leadership is considering a replacement for the cruiser Granuaile in this year's naval budget, due to be presented to the Chiefs of Staff and the government by the end of February. With the arrival of the four new Deirdre class destroyers, the Naval Service has also removed the four Province class destroyers from active duty. The ships will be stored pending a decision on their future. Similarly, the three older Airmed-class sloops have been retired and shall be scrapped.

Wednesday, February 26, 1947
Aaaaiieee where did all this snow come from?

Friday, February 28, 1947
The Irish government announced that Shannon Airport was closed indefinitely to international trans-Atlantic flights because snow fell all over the runway and piled up really deeply. The airport manager was quoted as saying "We've got a small Air France plane out there somewhere that we can't find. It's completely buried. We think it's by Hanger 04. Hope it's still there when everything melts."

Elsewhere in Ireland, the weather has caused significant disruptions to industry and transport [1], but Irish citizens are taking it in stride. One Dubliner, interviewed while attempting to bicycle to work, told reporters "Bleep bleepity-bleeping bleep!" before he hit the reporter over the head with his snow-covered bicycle.

Active-duty soldiers of the Irish Army were called out to help clear roads and railways in order to get transportation moving again. When asked where they were removing the snow to, Army Lieutenant Seamus O'Leary replied "We're packing the snow into giant bricks, and then trucking them to the border near Carlingford Lough. We've built a rocking great snow-castle there to defend against the British."

Speaking to reporters, Taoiseach Desmond Myles admitted that, while things were apocalyptic, they could always be worse. "Just imagine the hardships if I'd nationalized the coal industry two weeks ago," he pointed out.

Wednesday, March 12, 1947
Everything melted. Ducks, it's wet out there!

Friday, April 25, 1947
The Donegal Bay Fishing Company (Ltd.) announced that the company intended to order two more pelagic trawlers for their fishing fleet, due in part to the great success the company has seen over the last two years. The order will bring the company's fleet up to eighteen trawlers and two processing ships.

Friday, May 2, 1947
{Secret} The leadership of the IRA inquires through an intermediary to open ceasefire negotiations with the British and Irish authorities. The IRA's offer is to lay down their arms and cease all combat operations, in exchange for a general amnesty and the ability to continue to seek their objective of a united Ireland using solely political means.

Note [1]: Unidentified members of the government blamed British industry for starting global warming.

Friday, May 20th 2016, 6:20pm

After than February 26 bit, I was kinda expecting a soothsayer to pop up out of nowhere and warn the Irish about the Ides of March... :)

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 3:28am

It wouldn't do any good for the Irish....

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 3:29am

I knew if I gave you the opening, you'd trot that old gem out, Wes! :P :)

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 3:34am

Sorry I couldn't resist!

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 3:37am

It's the most relevant opportunity you've ever had to use it! ;)

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 10:55am

"Snow Castle... We don't see no Snow Castle? Last one to Dublin is a sissy" 8)