You are not logged in.

Wednesday, April 13th 2016, 5:55am

The Svalbard Treaty

As a point of information, I would ask whether the historical Svalbard Treaty has any applicability in Wesworld. I have found no specific mention of it, though it is quite possible my Google-fu was not up to the task of finding references that could date back to the start of the game. Perhaps some of our older members have a recollection.

Wednesday, April 13th 2016, 7:57am

I do not think that it was ever brought up in the past, but considering this bit...

Quoted

Spitsbergen/Svalbard began as a territory free of a nation, with multiple people from different countries participating in industries including fishing, whaling, mining, research and later, tourism. Not belonging to any nation left Svalbard largely free of regulations or laws, though there were conflicts over the area due to whaling rights and issues of sovereignty between England, the Netherlands, and Denmark–Norway in the first half of the 17th century. However, by the 20th century mineral deposits were found on the main island and continual conflicts between miners and owners created a need for a government.

Considering that it is colored as Nordmark territory on our map and not as unclaimed territory (which would be the case if the treaty was not signed), I think that it seems very likely that it has taken place prior to our 1921 start.

... of course if that is the case, it would mean that I now must send send the Atlantic Fleet to the Atlantic to protect the Japanese people and companies there who exploit resources on Svalbard as there is no doubt that other nations will be doing that as well. :)

Probably need to look at Japan's maritime shipping as well to transport some of those resources to Japan...

Wednesday, April 13th 2016, 9:33am

I'd consider it part of Nordmark, I guess when the Big Ass Map was drawn it was automatically assumed, and Earl did acquire several territories in the South Atlantic from Britain during the 1920s so it would be logical at some point they would have taken moves to secure Svalbard during the late 19th century or in the early 1900-10s.

Wednesday, April 13th 2016, 2:48pm

Per this post, Nordmark claimed sovereignty over Svalbard in 1920. Russia and France view it as a full Nordish possession, although per agreements with Nordmark, it appears Russia and Britain have special economic privileges there. I do not view the historical Svalbard Treaty as being in force at the present time, since Nordish control of the area is probably stronger than historical.

Looks like the Nordish posted a battalion of Coastal Jaegers there to defend it. Glad I'm not one of those poor guys.

Wednesday, April 13th 2016, 3:29pm

Per this post, Nordmark claimed sovereignty over Svalbard in 1920. Russia and France view it as a full Nordish possession, although per agreements with Nordmark, it appears Russia and Britain have special economic privileges there. I do not view the historical Svalbard Treaty as being in force at the present time, since Nordish control of the area is probably stronger than historical.

Looks like the Nordish posted a battalion of Coastal Jaegers there to defend it. Glad I'm not one of those poor guys.

Ah, thank you. I suspected that this would be the case, but thought it worth inquiring before theorizing any further.