You are not logged in.

Wednesday, March 16th 2016, 4:21pm

Preliminary Data - Dornier Do335 Carrier Fighter Bomber

The six-months requirements freeze is about to finish and the design will soon be unveiled. This is the preliminary data for it.

General characteristics

Crew: one
Length: 14.68 metres
Wingspan: 12.73 metres
Height: 4.42 metres
Wing area: 27.3 square metres
Empty weight: 5,980 kg
Loaded weight: 9,531 kg
Maximum takeoff weight: 11,437 kg
Powerplant: Two BMW 003-34 turbojets, each rated at 14.46 kN

Performance

Maximum speed: 930 kph sea level
Cruise speed: 740 kph at 8,500 metres
Range: 2,760 km
Service ceiling: 14,205 metres
Rate of climb: 30 metres per second from sea level

Armament

Guns: Four 20mm cannon each with 220 rounds per gun
Ordnance: Either eight 128mm high explosive rockets or four 220 kg bombs and four 128mm high explosive rockets

Thursday, March 17th 2016, 11:54am

Nice aircraft, on the first view i thought about the McDonnell FH Phantom.

Friday, March 18th 2016, 4:40pm

Looks fine to me.
Are the tip-tanks just for fuel?

Just wondering, has Germany tried a jet experimentally on a flight deck yet? (In case I missed it in the news). Might be worth holding some trials before deciding on the final requirements. I doubt anything unexpected would crop up but its good to check.

Friday, March 18th 2016, 4:57pm

Unfortunately Germany has not yet attempted carrier trials of a jet aircraft. There are several reasons, some out-of-character.

There has been some discussion of 'firsts' for carrier trials. I've deliberately shied away from that. That has put German carrier aircraft development on a slow track.

I also see Germany's smaller aircraft carriers as not being the best possible platforms for jet aircraft; That leaves Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, as Graf Zeppelin and Peter Strasser are undergoing refit, and the Tegetthoff and her sister are still building. Once the Graf finishes her refit, the Admiralstab might schedule a trial on either Scharnhorst or Gneisenau.

From a landing parameter, I have my doubts about the Bf262, but it is going to have to be tried. Likely on a specially-fitted runway with arresting gear. The rather spindly gear arrangement of the Bf262 is fine for longer landings, but the aircraft hasn't been designed for carrier landings with 'controlled crash' in mind.