You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, February 22nd 2016, 11:58am

Tender for a civil cargo seaplane

As mentioned in my latest news report, the chinese industrialist Yang Xiong launched an official tender for a number of 8 seaplanes with following specifications:

The aircraft should be capable of alighting and taking off from the river and operate with minimum shore support.

• Number of engines: 2 (radial piston engines are preferred but other options will be considered)

• Crew of two

• minimum cargo capacity of 5000 lb

• passenger configuration is not necessary

• range should lay between 2000 and 4000 km

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 4:42pm

BH-3 "Bullfinch"

The Design office Bao-Huang presents their design for the tender of the civil seaplane.

BH-3 "Bullfinch"
Design office Bao - Huang
Type: Flightboat

General characteristics:

Dimensions:
Length: 14.00 m
Wingspan: 19.60 m
Height: 4.70 m
Wingarea: 50.10 m²
Empty weight: 3705 kg
max. take off weight: 5899 kg

Engine:
2x air-cooled single row radial piston EWIL L-1000 with 1100 hp at take-off and 1180 hp at 3000m
driving a three blade variable pitch propeller

Performance:
Maximum Speed: 332 kph
Cruising speed: 278 kph
Service ceiling: 7100 m
range: 2100 km

Crew:
3 men

Payload:
up to 800 kg

Edit:
Engine changed due comment of Bruce
parador has attached the following image:
  • BH-3_Bullfinch.gif

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 5:21pm

Looks interesting... my only concern would be if the two specified engines are adequate to provide the performance specified. Is there a real-world aircraft to which the design can be compared?

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 5:51pm

Thank you. Most interesting. Given the fate of the original design I would stand by my comment on the lack of engine power and would suggest an engine upgrade to something in the 1,000 hp class.

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 6:15pm

Not sure about that (but then I am no expert). The Sikorsky S-43 mentioned in the L7P1 text has similar engines and is only slightly slower. It has less range and a lower ceiling than the L7P1, but the S-43 is 50% heavier. Also considering that the BH-3 would be (by the looks of it) a 'now' design rather than a 1935 or 1938 design, those engines would probably be a bit more efficient than those on the historical designs.

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 6:37pm

Not sure about that (but then I am no expert). The Sikorsky S-43 mentioned in the L7P1 text has similar engines and is only slightly slower. It has less range and a lower ceiling than the L7P1, but the S-43 is 50% heavier. Also considering that the BH-3 would be (by the looks of it) a 'now' design rather than a 1935 or 1938 design, those engines would probably be a bit more efficient than those on the historical designs.

Quoting from Japanese Aircraft 1910-1941 by Mikesh and Abe - one of the sources cited in the above link

Quoted

Flight tests were made by Navy Commander Sukemitsu Itoh who pointed out the difficulties with water take offs. This was partially due to the increased weight caused by the wooden wing which in turn increased the stalling speed of the aircraft. In general, all other performance figures were close to those calculated.

Hence my concern at the limited horsepower. And it makes no difference how "efficient" the powerplants are. If together they can deliver only 1,420 hp and there are weight issues then 1,420 hp is not enough. Efficiency might have an impact on endurance, which I am not questioning (at this point in time).

Tuesday, April 5th 2016, 6:49pm

If increased weight increasing the stalling speed is an issue, would a plane that has 80 more horsepower and 3000 kg more weight not have even bigger issues then?

Wednesday, April 6th 2016, 5:04am

If increased weight increasing the stalling speed is an issue, would a plane that has 80 more horsepower and 3000 kg more weight not have even bigger issues then?

I include the link for clarification.

As you will note,

Quoted

Stalls depend only on angle of attack, not airspeed. However, the slower an airplane goes, the more angle of attack it needs to produce lift equal to the aircraft's weight.[14] As the speed decreases further, at some point this angle will be equal to the critical (stall) angle of attack. This speed is called the "stall speed". An aircraft flying at its stall speed cannot climb, and an aircraft flying below its stall speed cannot stop descending. Any attempt to do so by increasing angle of attack, without first increasing airspeed, will result in a stall.

The problem reported by Commander Itoh is indicative that the aircraft, as configured, could not generate sufficient speed to climb. It needed more horsepower.