You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, February 8th 2016, 11:30am

A question

I'm curious if Springsharp calculates the entire surface area of a ship that is submerged in water. Would this be the "Waterplane Area" or is that just the area of the hull effecting the waters surface during motion?

Tuesday, February 9th 2016, 11:38pm

Sooooooo that's an I dunno?

Wednesday, February 10th 2016, 12:11am

Google implies that the Waterplane Area is "enclosed area of the hull at the waterline". It'll obviously change according to the ship's loading... it'll affect the stability calculations. Best answer I can give so far...

Wednesday, February 10th 2016, 12:16am

I dunno...

... so I'll just take something from one of my books. My Scharnhorst mentions "fineness of the waterplane" among the stats which is indicated as being "the ratio of the area of the waterplane to the area of its circumscribing rectangle". This would support that what Brock said about the "enclosed area of the hull at the waterline". Considering that SS bases its values of the normal displacement, the waterplane area it gives would be valid for normal displacement only.

Wednesday, February 10th 2016, 10:10am

Thanks for the replies, it kinda confirms my assumption. I don't see a stat that shows the full surface area of a hull, ie a submarine hull and I'm not really sure how to even calculate that using the SS figures provided.