You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, November 10th 2015, 10:19pm

To me it seems we can get rid of these spammers subfolders only, if one takes the action to check all boards where guests shall not be allowed to post have the checkbox set on "deny". Sadly this is some work to do and time consuming...

You aren't kidding. :P

Though I should note that I was fiddling with those settings last night, when Walter was playing "unregistered user", and he could still post in subfolders that I had just tried to 'fix'. So I'm not sure this solution works in all cases...
Well, its all I can offer. If a bot is made to use a loophole or even a hack, then there is little we can do.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, November 10th 2015, 10:21pm

Quoted

Bad news - if you block them there, no unregistered visitor can post anymore.

Bad news? Isn't that what we want? How can that be bad news? ?(

Quoted

Sadly this is some work to do and time consuming

Yes. Having seen logged off how many places there were one the board where I could still post, it would take quite a bit of time to sort that out.

I think it is bad news because we do had guests in the past who contributed or raised questions before signing in - or so I remember.

If you all agree we can have guests be blocked entirely. But to me this is not the right choice...

Friday, November 13th 2015, 6:04pm

Okay... we've got another... unregistered.

I vote that we lock down the folders to all unregistered users. It doesn't take too much to become a member, even if you are not actively playing, and we have plenty of those

Friday, November 13th 2015, 6:32pm

Okay... we've got another... unregistered.

Fixed.

I vote that we lock down the folders to all unregistered users.

Yeah. I haven't yet spent the four or five hours that'll be required to do that...

Friday, November 13th 2015, 6:34pm

Thanks... and thanks.

:thumbup:

Friday, November 13th 2015, 7:00pm

Hey Brock,

This is starting to sound personal...
<points to non-wesworld>

Friday, November 13th 2015, 7:03pm

"wonderful Guzzi music"?!?

*brings out the big 18" guns* :D

Friday, November 13th 2015, 7:38pm

Fixed, and I did some initial editing of folder permissions. Don't have time to do it for the whole board, but at least the German encyclopedia is safe now. :P

Friday, November 13th 2015, 7:40pm

Thanks.

I suppose that if you start and approach the job like eating an elephant - one bite at a time - it will eventually be done.

Friday, November 13th 2015, 7:46pm

Yeah.

Actually, I might need to just go through and check every single subfolder. I glanced at the permissions for my Russian subfolders, and it appears to me that no one, even members, had permission to see them. Can someone take a look and see if those subfolders are visible?

Friday, November 13th 2015, 7:50pm

I can see your subfolders, but in the land, aviation, and miscellaneous folders there does not seem to be a lot. Don't know whether that is by design or a permissions issue.

Friday, November 13th 2015, 7:55pm

I can see your subfolders, but in the land, aviation, and miscellaneous folders there does not seem to be a lot. Don't know whether that is by design or a permissions issue.

Design. There's not much there.

But good - they're visible, even if they're not full.

I'll fiddle with the rest of things later when I'm on my own computer.

Friday, November 13th 2015, 8:01pm

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a plan. See ya when I see ya.

Friday, November 13th 2015, 8:24pm

Quoted

I glanced at the permissions for my Russian subfolders, and it appears to me that no one, even members, had permission to see them.

I know from when I checked things logged out that everything after Latvia is not visible so my best guess is that when you check the settings for those folders and subfolders, they are probably similar to the Russian settings.

Friday, November 13th 2015, 10:39pm

If I knew no better, I would almost say we are victims of an attack. The spammers are mounting.

And out newest "member" is trolling for clicks on a hyperlink.

Friday, November 13th 2015, 10:46pm

I clipped him.

Friday, November 13th 2015, 10:54pm

I clipped him.

:thumbsup:

Wednesday, December 23rd 2015, 11:15pm

We've been doing pretty good lately, but we have an obvious spammer in the Meeting Place...

Thursday, December 24th 2015, 12:05am

Fixed.

Thursday, December 24th 2015, 12:10am

Fixed.

Thank you sir.