You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, October 23rd 2015, 4:35pm

Well, for details on concept and design of the Me262 (Bf262 is not correct) I propose to take a look at the book by J. Richard Smith & Eddie J. Creek (Classic Publications, Britain / HEEL Verlag, Germany). Great drawings, great photos... Really worth it.

Friday, October 23rd 2015, 5:53pm

Quoted

Bf262 is not correct

Not correct compared to historical, but IIRC with Wesworld, the Bayerische Flugzeugwerke was slightly different in some way which means that they still use the correct Bf designation instead of the Me one...

Friday, October 23rd 2015, 5:56pm

Yes, Hrolf specified that in WW, the Me- designation was never to be used. I guess Willy Messerschmitt was not involved in BFW design or something. I recall him getting very particular with me when I persisted in using the Me- designation...

Friday, October 23rd 2015, 6:21pm

Yes, Hrolf specified that in WW, the Me- designation was never to be used. I guess Willy Messerschmitt was not involved in BFW design or something. I recall him getting very particular with me when I persisted in using the Me- designation...

Quite so; he made the point on several occasions, as I recall. And I have respected that.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, October 23rd 2015, 10:47pm

Sorry for being ignorant. Missed that....

Saturday, October 24th 2015, 8:04am

Getting back to armament, the question I have is what the fighter is designed for.
A few hits from a 30mm will bring down a bomber and all heavy and larger medium bombers are still propeller-driven and any jet can run circles around them and choose attacking options.
The Bf-329 with its swept wings and small size suggests a dogfighter to me, a counter to other jet fighters. In which case the target is a wildly manoeuvring small target. More cannons or greater rate of fire increases the chance of a hit. A 30mm will chew any fighter fatally but you've got to hit it. Against ground targets 2x30mm is sufficient but in air-air fighting I'd back 4x20mm or 4x30mm in this early jet age era.
Hitting slower prop fighters won't be easy either given closing speeds etc.