You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, October 3rd 2015, 11:10am

Churchill's Bomb

Rather than pollute Brock's Russian new thread with more about OTL atomic developments, I would like to recommend 'Churchill's Bomb: A Hidden History of Science, War and Politics Hardcover' by Graham Farmelo.
This is the book for anyone interested in the early development of the bomb, from the early days of nuclear physics, through contemporary fictional imaginings of such weapons and Churchill's link with the early days of this speculation with his friend H.G. Wells and eventually the developments of the late 1930s, the beginning to Tube Alloys and Churchill's strange hot and cold enthusiasm to develop such a weapon, the inevitable (but messy) co-operation with the Americans, the programme carried forward by Attlee and Churchill's aborted last hurrah to try and ban the horrors of thermonuclear war.
The title is perhaps misleading (I tend to avoid all books called 'Churchill's... XXX') but there is no denying his life and career was so intertwined with this weapon, perhaps unlike any other political leader of his generation.

Sunday, October 4th 2015, 12:53am

The sources I'd been working from were in memory - a novelization of the bomb project and the actual combat drop missions by the title of Enola Gay, which I must've read, like, twenty years ago, now? First grade. And a history of the leadup to and development of ENIAC through to the UNIVAC series, with a lot of attention to the life of John von Neumann, which unfortunately I cannot relocate right this second. If the Nordish program continues to be a seriously controversial thing, I'll probably dig into my father's collection and see if I can find something properly authoritative to work from - I know he's got a number of books on the subject.
Carnival da yo~!