You are not logged in.

Monday, February 23rd 2015, 1:03am

Permanent Court of International Justice

Wasn't sure if I should post it in the LoN board or here. Decided in the end to do it here.

Having looked around on the League of Nations Photo Archive site, historically in 1945 the Judges were:
Rafael Altamira y Crevea (Spain)
Dionisio Anzilotti (Italy)
Antonio Sanchez de Bustamente y Sirven (Cuba)
Cheng Tien-His (China)
Rafael Waldemar Erich (Finland)
Willem Jan Mari van Eysinga (The Netherlands)
Henri Fromageot (France)
J. Gustavo Guerrero (El Salvador)
Cecil James Barrington Hurst (UK)
Demetre Neglulesco (Romania)
Charles de Visscher (Belgium)

Two resigned in 1942 which might or might not be war-related but for simplicity I assume that they would probably still be part of the PCIJ in WW...
Harukazu Nagaoka (Japan)
Francsico Jose Urrutia (Colombia)

One is unclear due to a copy-paste error on the site but most likely was still around as judge...
Manley O. Hudson (US)

So that would give us 14 Judges....

Cuba and El Salvador are part of Iberia and China is no longer a LoN member and probably no longer a member of the PCIJ either (guess I'll make Japan president and kick them out :) )...

So that means we would have...

1 - Rafael Altamira y Crevea (Iberia)
2 - Dionisio Anzilotti (Italy)
3 - Rafael Waldemar Erich (Nordmark)
4 - Willem Jan Mari van Eysinga (The Netherlands)
5 - Henri Fromageot (France)
6 - Cecil James Barrington Hurst (UK)
7 - Demetre Neglulesco (Romania)
8 - Charles de Visscher (Belgium)
9 - Harukazu Nagaoka (Japan)
10 - Francsico Jose Urrutia (Colombia)
11 - Manley O. Hudson (US)

... leaving 3 spots open. One would probably be Atlantean and another would be South African. Not sure about the final spot. Historically Russia was one of a few nations that did not sign the Statute of the PCIJ. Wesworld Russia may have done so, so in that case I think that final space could be for Russia.

Monday, February 23rd 2015, 2:17am

Nice research work. Clearly more complex an organization than I'd presumed to this point...

Unless there's any evidence to the contrary, I'll probably say Russia did sign the PCIJ Treaty.

Monday, February 23rd 2015, 10:08am

Russia or perhaps Germany.

Monday, February 23rd 2015, 1:06pm

When I looked at it and our map, I knew that it would probably be either Russia or Germany. Since there has been only one German Judge (Walther Schücking from January 15, 1931 until his death on August 25, 1935), I believed that it was more likely that that final position would be held by a Russian.

Monday, February 23rd 2015, 2:12pm

That's a nice bit of research and the membership looks ok to me.

Monday, February 23rd 2015, 2:47pm

You can look at a more complete list of the Judges here from 1922 until 1945...
http://www.indiana.edu/~league/pcijorgjudges.htm

The only bit that appears to be questionable right away is the Hudson info. It is exactly the same as Hammarskjoeld ("Elected October 8, 1936; Died July 7, 1937") but the Individual Judges page indicates that Hudson died in 1960.