You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 6:06pm

A Geography Question

I am trying to ascertain whether the modern port of Kotor (Cattaro) is in Yugoslav or Italian territory. I've found no reference to it and the Big Ass Map is far too general to determine the answer. Does anyone have a link for a finer scale map?

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 6:44pm

When I look at the Big Ass Map and Google Maps, I would say that the coast west of that bay would be Italian and everything east of it would be Yugoslavian.
On the attached picture, that bay would be where the red arrow is. The border ends to the left of that.
Rooijen10 has attached the following image:
  • mppc1.PNG

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 7:01pm

Yes, and I did find a mention by Red Admiral that Dubrovnik was in the easternmost portion of Italian-occupied Dalmatia. But I have a vague recollection that Cattaro was also Italian territory - I've always assumed it to be. Is there a consensus on this point?

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 7:19pm

I'll have to look at a more detailed map when I get home. I know there was a more detailed map that RA (or someone) once posted, but I can't find that right now.

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 7:31pm

I'll have to look at a more detailed map when I get home. I know there was a more detailed map that RA (or someone) once posted, but I can't find that right now.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I too have a recollection of a more detailed map but have come up empty handed thus far.

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 7:55pm

The board does show its limitations. It gives no search results for "map" and when I try to look at the posts of Red Admiral, it only shows me 1000 of them... :(

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 8:02pm

The board does show its limitations. It gives no search results for "map" and when I try to look at the posts of Red Admiral, it only shows me 1000 of them... :(

One reason why I keep a link to a copy of the old board on my favorites. It's useful for doing deep diving, though of course it is sadly out of date.

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 8:04pm

I think it might have been here...
http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?pag…D=6711#post6711
... but unfortunately the image is no longer available.

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 8:11pm

I think it might have been here...
http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?pag…D=6711#post6711
... but unfortunately the image is no longer available.

It may have been. :(

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 8:45pm

I got one hit on "Kotor" - a 1935 Russian news post (from 2008) in which The Canadian and AdmK are joking about building a ship railway between Kotor and Constanta.

If The Canadian was playing Yugoslavia back then, you probably have your answer.

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 9:32pm

I got one hit on "Kotor" - a 1935 Russian news post (from 2008) in which The Canadian and AdmK are joking about building a ship railway between Kotor and Constanta.

If The Canadian was playing Yugoslavia back then, you probably have your answer.

Yes - I found that and could not quite place the context. Perhaps TheCanadian can elucidate?

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 11:57pm

This is the map I was thinking of, actually.

Wednesday, February 18th 2015, 12:10am

Hmm. That still leaves the question up in the air. Given the apparent absence of our Italian player, I am loath to assume Kotor is Yugoslav unless that is the general consensus - and that would make for a very complicated border situation.

Wednesday, February 18th 2015, 12:17am

When you look close, you can see that bay and from that you can conclude that Kotor is in Yugoslavia.
Rooijen10 has attached the following image:
  • mppc2.PNG

Wednesday, February 18th 2015, 12:57am

Here's a finer scale map of the area in question:

The principal question as I see it is whether the border of Italian Dalmatia follows the modern border of Croatia, in which case its territory ends at Hercig Novi at the outlet of the Gulf of Kotor, or, as a former post by RA suggests, that it ends somewhere close to Dubrovnik, such as the village of Mlini (see map).

Wednesday, February 18th 2015, 1:12am

Both the Big Ass Map and the one Brock was referring to suggest that the border ends at Herceg Novi, probably done to keep things simple.

Wednesday, February 18th 2015, 1:19am

Both the Big Ass Map and the one Brock was referring to suggest that the border ends at Herceg Novi, probably done to keep things simple.

That would appear logical. Can that be adopted as a consensus?

Wednesday, February 18th 2015, 1:58am

I'd say that the historical Croatia-Bosnia/Montenegrin border can probably be followed as the best approximation - until it becomes obvious that it diverges.

Wednesday, February 18th 2015, 3:09am

Well, in that case, I can now proceed with planning for 1946. Thanks.

Edit: According to Wikipedia Herceg Novi is in modern Montenegro; the Croatian border lies to the west, giving only a small foothold on the Gulf of Kotor itself, right at the exit.

This could be interesting...

Friday, February 20th 2015, 9:22pm

I'd say that the historical Croatia-Bosnia/Montenegrin border can probably be followed as the best approximation - until it becomes obvious that it diverges.

That would appear logical. Can that be adopted as a consensus?

This sounds good to me.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon