You are not logged in.

Sunday, December 14th 2014, 11:43pm

Sesia class Landing Ship

In doing some research on German amphibious vessels, I came across some data on an Italian landing vessel with which I was unfamiliar. I thought I would summarize what I found and share.

-----

The Sesia class landing ships of the Italian Regia Marina were officially classed as water tankers (Motocisterne per Acqua) in an attempt to disguise their intended purpose. The Sesia carried out amphibious exercises at Massawa in 1937, at which time their true purpose became known to British and French naval authorities.

The class comprised four ships, all named for rivers of Italy. The Sesia and Garigliano were laid down in 1933 and commissioned in 1934; the Tirso and Scrivia followed three years later. An initial prototype, the Adige, had been built in 1927-29, but deficiencies in the design of the Adige – too narrow a gangway, too little engine power – necessitated the design of the larger Sesia class.

The official displacement of the vessels is quoted as 1,460 tons full load, and the official dimensions are given as 65 meters length, 19 meters beam and 3.4 meters draught – which is sort of an average, as you can see from the drawings. The draught forward was approximately 0.5 meters, but aft it might be as much as 4.2 meters. Power was supplied by a pair of marine diesel engines rated at 300-315 horsepower, for a top speed of only 10.5 knots. Radius of action is quoted as 5,000 miles at 6 knots, or 2,700 miles at 10 knots.

For self-defense the ships were originally armed with and four 13.2mm machineguns; by 1939 this had been modified to two 20mm/65 light antiaircraft guns and three 8mm machineguns. They could be fitted for minelaying and carry up to 118 mines. The design was provided with an electrically operated bow ramp 2.7 meters wide and 13 meters long. Provision was made to accommodate troops (29 officers, 44 NCOs, 989 men and 50 mules) plus light tanks. Design features included a ballast tank aft which would be flooded to reduce draught forward and a disappearing rudder under the forward portion of the ship.

The Sesia and the Garigliano were employed in the Italo-Abyssinian War of 1935-36 in the Red Sea, and in April 1939 all four were employed in the Italian invasion of Albania. They would have been employed in a landing on Corfu by the so-called Forza Navale Speciale, but the intended operation was called off due to bad weather. They were prepared for participation in the abortive Operation Herkules – the planned invasion of Malta, but were involved in the occupation of Corsica in November 1942. They were subsequently employed in ferrying Italian troops to Tunisia.

The Sesia survived the war, and was retained in the Italian Navy until June 1972. The Garigliano was taken over by German forces in September 1943 and eventually employed as the minelayer Oldenburg – eventually to be scuttled in April 1945 at Genoa; she would be raised, repaired and restored to service under her old name, surviving until 1952. The Scrivia was scuttled at La Spezia by her crew to keep her out of German hands and broken up. The Tirso remained in Italian service until 1948, when she was handed over to France a reparations and commissioned as Hérault, surviving until the late 1950s.

Monday, December 15th 2014, 9:39am

Most interesting info Bruce. An interesting proto-landing ship that has been overlooked by history, probably because little practical use was made of them and because amphibious assault seems to have become identified with the Allies and their efforts to build such ships.

Monday, December 15th 2014, 2:34pm

Most interesting info Bruce. An interesting proto-landing ship that has been overlooked by history, probably because little practical use was made of them and because amphibious assault seems to have become identified with the Allies and their efforts to build such ships.

Certainly their small number contributed to their obscurity. Even Italy's MZ landing barges get more press. I wonder if their classification as water carriers - which didn't hide their purpose at the time - has actually worked in historical terms, leading researchers to overlook them. Had I not been dredging the German Wiki, I would not have found them.

Tuesday, December 16th 2014, 9:37am

I'll have to check Conways 1922-46, I'm sure there are in there but not sure how they are classified.

A small query, what is that bump under the keel towards the bows? Some kind of roller or something for beaching?

Tuesday, December 16th 2014, 1:11pm

I'll have to check Conways 1922-46, I'm sure there are in there but not sure how they are classified.

A small query, what is that bump under the keel towards the bows? Some kind of roller or something for beaching?

I've already checked by copy of Conways 1922-46 - and I cannot seem to find them. I think that no one looked beyond their classification as "water carriers".

The bump in question I suspect is the retracting forward rudder. Exactly what function it was to perform is unclear to me, but the information I've read about the Sesia suggests that it was an important feature.