Wing area: 18.58 sq. metres

Empty weight: 4,326 kg
Gross weight: 8,930 kg

Maximum speed: 945 kph (510 knots) at 1,220 metres
Cruising speed: 700 kph (377 knots)

Climb: 21 metres/second
Service ceiling: 12,420 metres
Range: 2,060 kilometres

Armament: four 20mm MG151 with 200 rpg, two 220 kg bombs and sixteen 128mm rocket projectiles, or up to thirty-two 128mm rocket projectiles

Anticipated first flight early spring 1946

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 4:55pm

I am a bit skeptical about the quoted speed figures. Looking at the F-80C (via wiki as it is the most complete source I can find. Figures sourced from a NASA document), the proposed Fw340 is within 20kph of the F-80C (I do note that there is no altitude figure provided for that speed) while having a engine with 7.33kN less thrust and weighing 507kg more empty (given there is only loaded and max takeoff sited for the P-80C I do not want to assume any relation to the gross weight noted). I would feel more comfortable with a reduced speed figure for the aircraft as presented.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 5:13pm

I am a bit skeptical about the quoted speed figures. Looking at the F-80C (via wiki as it is the most complete source I can find. Figures sourced from a NASA document), the proposed Fw340 is within 20kph of the F-80C (I do note that there is no altitude figure provided for that speed) while having a engine with 7.33kN less thrust and weighing 507kg more empty (given there is only loaded and max takeoff sited for the P-80C I do not want to assume any relation to the gross weight noted). I would feel more comfortable with a reduced speed figure for the aircraft as presented.

If you can find a reference work which provides performance statistics for the Republic F-84B, with its 3,750 pound thrust J35 turbojet you will find that the Fw340 follows them quite well. Online you will likely find only the stats for the later F-84E or the F-84G, you'll likely need an off-line reference.

The initial prototypes will be found to be somewhat underpowered, something discovered during testing. An uprated engine will be necessary before the aircraft is considered combat worthy.

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 5:19pm

Ok by me.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 5:33pm

Quoted

via wiki as it is the most complete source I can find. Figures sourced from a NASA document

Problem with wiki is that in almost all cases it only shows that data of one version of the plane and it is usually a later version (IIRC there are a few rare occasions where the data of two versions are given). I prefer to look at the data from the aircraft section of http://forum.valka.cz as it has the data on multiple versions (not all) of one plane...

F-80...
http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/titl…ing-Star/t/6550
F-84...
http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/titl…nderjet/t/22272

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 5:59pm

Quoted

via wiki as it is the most complete source I can find. Figures sourced from a NASA document

Problem with wiki is that in almost all cases it only shows that data of one version of the plane and it is usually a later version (IIRC there are a few rare occasions where the data of two versions are given). I prefer to look at the data from the aircraft section of http://forum.valka.cz as it has the data on multiple versions (not all) of one plane...

F-80...
http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/titl…ing-Star/t/6550
F-84...
http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/titl…nderjet/t/22272

That is a problem with Wikipedia - citation of only one set of performance data for an aircraft that had several models. Also, it is sometime necessary to double check the cited source - Brock and I found one Wiki entry that had been changed to indicate erroneous performance figures. I happened to own a copy of the cited source book and found that someone had deliberately confused knots with mph.

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 6:12pm

I've no problems with the F-84B clone, as long as the engines are a sufficiently good match in terms of thrust and power/weight ratio. That matters as much as any specifications.

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 6:17pm

Deliberately? Or was the guy just dumb thinking that a mile is a mile no matter what?

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 6:27pm

I've no problems with the F-84B clone, as long as the engines are a sufficiently good match in terms of thrust and power/weight ratio. That matters as much as any specifications.

For thrust, I think it should either be the given thrust or more or the given thrust with the same speed or less.

Having quickly looked at the variants of the P-80 and P-84 and seeing that they carried up to 10 HVARs, I think the "two 220 kg bombs and sixteen 128mm rocket projectiles, or up to thirty-two 128mm rocket projectiles" is well off...

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 6:32pm

Deliberately? Or was the guy just dumb thinking that a mile is a mile no matter what?

Probably just ignorance.

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 6:36pm

For thrust, I think it should either be the given thrust or more or the given thrust with the same speed or less.

Having quickly looked at the variants of the P-80 and P-84 and seeing that they carried up to 10 HVARs, I think the "two 220 kg bombs and sixteen 128mm rocket projectiles, or up to thirty-two 128mm rocket projectiles" is well off...

The "enthusiasm" of the preliminary data will no doubt be found during flight testing... as will the aforementioned need for a more powerful engine. :D

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 6:41pm

Probably just ignorance.

In any event, one has to be careful with data from Wiki and take it with a large dose of salt.

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 9:36pm

In any event, one has to be careful with data from Wiki and take it with a large dose of salt.

Too much salt is not good for a human. :)

I usually use wiki to look around at stuff to see what is around in general. For the actual data of stuff, I usually look somewhere else, although sometimes, the wiki pages in other languages are more useful than the English version when it comes to data (in my case, I have looked around using the links to the Japanese wiki pages). You just have to figure out what the values are.

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 10:28pm

I often find that some of the foreign language Wikis have more detail than the English. It's one reason I like Bing Translator.