You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, November 1st 2014, 5:14pm

RAF Specifications 1946

As is customary for Q3 of a year, the annual look ahead at what is cooking in the minds of the Air Staff and what requirements will soon be winging its way to the aircraft manufacturers who will soon be scribbling furiously on drawing boards and calculating on slide rules.

B.5/46
Issued to Westland for a tactical variant of their Twin-Jet Bomber without bombing guidance equipment [radar] and with a bombload of 7,500lbs. [OOC: to become the OTL Canberra B.Mk.2 at OTL time]

B.35/46
A jet-powered heavy bomber to carry a 10,000lb payload (21,000lb max bombload) to a target 1,500nm away at 576mph cruise speed at 45-50,000ft, maximum speed must be as high as possible, still air range with 10,000lb payload to be 3,350nm with cruise altitude of 50,000ft reached two and a half hours after take-off. All-up weight not to exceed 100,000lb, no defensive armament to be carried except for warning devices [though some designs at first will have turrets], crew to comprise pilot, co-pilot, two navigator/bomb aimers and one wireless warning self-defence operator. The emphasis is on maximum performance, development expected to take 6-8 years. [OOC: this is an OTL spec and date, this is NOT a nuclear bomber, will result in one of the V-bombers- see you in 1955!]

C.4/46
Allocated to Blackburn to cover development of their private-venture Universal Carrier to Air Ministry cargo transport standards with Centaurus radial engines for RAF Transport Command. First flight to be in 1947 and 50 to be ordered for entry into service during 1948/49.

C.18/46:
Issued to cover Percival P.66 Pembroke (modified P.50 Prince feederliners) RAF orders for 3 VIP transports and 50 more as utility transports.

E.4/46
Issued to BCAC for tandem-rotor helicopter development work. [OOC: this should lead to the OTL Bristol Type 173 for transport and ASW around 1950-51)

E.27/46
Issued for an experimental delta wing aircraft for transonic research in conjunction with the wider RAE Delta Wing Research Programme. Issued to Boulton Paul for a 25ft 8in span 45 degree swept delta wing and to be fully tailless, using elevons along the wing trailing edge. One RB.41 Nene turbojet will be fitted with a nose intake and tailpipe exhaust for a speed of 564kts at sea level. First flight planned 1948.[OTL Boulton Paul P.111, will fly 1949 and start research in 1950.]

E.38/46
Issued to Hawker to cover their work on a swept wing P.1040 fighter design. Two prototypes and a structural test airframe were ordered. First flight planned for mid-1947. [OOC: OTL P.1052, might not go anywhere, might do, not decided yet, in any case won't be ready as a fighter until 1950 or beyond]

F.5/46
Issued to cover development of a two-seat night fighter variant of private-venture Gloster Meteor Trainer. [OOC: Trainer not yet flown, will become NF.Mk.XI, to be developed by Armstrong Whitworth, to enter initial service late 1949. Also will lead to another improved interim night-fighter to F.24/46, the NF.Mk.XII (OTL Mk.14) for 1950]

F.43/46
Issued for a day interceptor to engage high-speed high-altitude bombers, from button start the fighter is to reach 45,000ft within six minutes. Maximum speed to be 630mph at 45,000ft for a swept wing design or 575mph for a more conventional design and service ceiling is to be 50,000ft. To be armed with four new 30mm ADEN cannon. Development to take four to five years. [OOC: this is an OTL spec and date, will result in the Hunter - see you in 1953!]

F.44/46
Issued for a two-seat all-weather interceptor to intercept an enemy bomber flying at 40,000ft flying at 550mph and cruising at 500mph at 25,000ft. The fighter should be able to reach 605mph at 25,000ft and from a push button start should reach 45,000ft within ten minutes. An endurance of two hours is to include climb to 25,000ft and 15 minutes combat. Two crewmen (pilot and radar operator) to be carried and armament to be four 30mm ADEN. Development to take five to six years. [OOC: this is an OTL spec and date, will result in the DH.110 or Javelin- see you in 1954!]

N.6/46
Issued to Blackburn for development of their private-venture B.50 single-seat jet-powered carrier-borne strike fighter powered by a single RB.41 Nene.
Blackburn has developed two designs for this naval strike fighter, one is a conventional design with a nose intake and a tail jet-pipe and the other is a twin-boom layout. Despite thrust losses in the longer jet-pipe the conventional B.50 was felt to be stronger for carrier operations. The brochure was submitted to the Air Ministry on 17 February 1945. Estimated specification is; span 40.5ft; length 41.8ft; armament four nose 20mm cannon and one torpedo or two 1,000lb bombs and 8x 60lb RPs. First flight planned 1947. Two prototypes ordered.

N.40/46
Issued for a carrier-based twin-jet all-weather fighter with a top speed of 575mph from sea level to 20,000ft and a maximum all-up weight of 30,000lbs. Span is limited to 55ft (18ft folded) and length 43ft. It is accepted that some form of take-off assistance may be required. Armament is to be four of the new 30mm ADEN revolver cannon now under development and two crewmen to be carried. A development time of around six years is estimated at present. The AI.IXD radar with 28in scanner is the preferred equipment fit. [OOC: May result in DH.110 Sea Vixen, may be a different choice]

P.5/46
Issued for a long-Range Empire Aircraft for BOAC with a cruising speed of 300-350mph and a range of 4,500 miles carrying 9,000lbs of payload. Accommodation is to be at least 30 passengers and is to be powered by four gas turbine engines. It was to serve all the main Transatlantic and Far Eastern routes. It is a replacement for Spec P.1/42.
Contenders are;
Avro 708, a new design with a low-wing and twin fins powered by four coupled Proteus turboprops for a cruising speed of 315mph and a range of 4,500miles with a payload of 9,000lbs. Another variant has four Napier Nomad engines.
Bristol has tendered a lengthened variant of its Type 167 airliner with four coupled Proteus engines
Shorts Commonwealth, a low-wing design with a circular fuselage for 44 passengers or 30 plus 10 dining room seats or 20 day/night passengers and powered by four Nomad or Centaurus engines, MTOW is 118,000lbs and cruise speed is 307-337mph and still air range 6,000 miles.
The winner is ?

P.6/46
Issued for a flying boat to complement Spec P.2/44 with stages of 1,300-2,000 miles and cruising at 500mph with 74 passengers. It will be powered by turbojets. [OOC: Saro is the only contender. Will this be built? Who knows, probably not but WW might support such a type.]

PR.31/46
Issued to Westland for a reconnaissance variant of their Twin-Jet Bomber to enter service in 1950 as the PR.Mk.3. It will be equipped with seven cameras. [OOC: OTL Canberra at OTL time]

T.1/46
Allocated to BCAC for a flying classroom navigation trainer variant of the Valetta transport equipped with five astrodome positions and latest equipment. To be the Type 664. 40 to be ordered.

T.2/46
Issued to cover the development of the private-venture Gloster Meteor trainer which is some 30ins longer with a fuselage stretch, longer nose, extra internal fuel tank and drop tank capability. [OOC: OTL Mk.7]

T.17/46
Issued to Percival for 40 observer trainers based on the Percival P.66 as the Sea Prince for the Fleet Air Arm.

Some of this looks advanced, it looked advanced in 1946 when the Air Ministry dreamed this stuff up. Almost none of these types will see use until long after 1950 (potentially post-sim) but it shows how the Brits are grappling with the jet-engine and what the future threats might be (we've already 'seen' Germany's new swept-wing fighter for example). I'm open to discussion about any of these types. As ever all this is strictly OOC, except for the piston-engine transports and trainers and the private-venture stuff.

Saturday, March 21st 2015, 2:49pm

Fighter Command is being restructured.

The varies smaller sectors served by RAF stations have been disbanded and replaced with a smaller number of larger Sectors. All radio-location stations and AA gun emplacements and Observer Corps stations are grouped within these sectors.
Metropolitan Sector - under control of No 11 Group and protects London and the Thames Estuary, the Essex and Suffolk coasts and Kent and Sussex
Southern Sector - No 10 Group is being disbanded and will merge to become Southern Sector of No 11 Group, protects the entire Southern coastline as far as Land's End and Southern Wales, Bristol Channel etc.
Eastern Sector - under control of No 12 Group, protects Suffolk, Norfolk and half of Lincolnshire
Northern Sector - under control of No 12 Group, protects the North Sea coast as far north as the Scottish Border
Western Sector - under control of No 12 Group, protects mid and north Wales, inland areas as far as the Pennies, Lancashire, Liverpool, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and the Solway Firth.
Scottish Sector - under control of No 13 Group (though this will be merged with No 12 Group in 1947) to protect all of Scotland, the Western Isles, Shetland and Orkney.

Fighter Command
HQ Bentley Priory

No 10 Group, HQ Box

Disbanded to become Southern Sector of No 11 Group during 1946

No 11 Group, HQ Uxbridge
Metropolitan Sector, HQ Kelvedon Hatch

85 Sqn, Kenley, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I (converting to BCAC Spiteful F.Mk.I)
87 Sqn, Kenley, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I
66 Sqn, Biggin Hill, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.II
72 Sqn, Biggin Hill, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.II
91 Sqn, Hawkinge, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I
3 Sqn, West Malling, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I (converting to DH Vampire F.Mk.I)
264 Sqn, West Malling, Boulton Paul Nighthawk NF.Mk.I
111 Sqn, West Malling, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.III
81 Sqn, Hornchurch, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.II
1F Sqn, Hornchurch, Martin-Baker M.B.5 F.Mk.I
41 Sqn, Rochford, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.II
198 Sqn, North Weald, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.I
54 Sqn, North Weald, Gloster Meteor F.Mk.III
17 Sqn, Debden, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
222 Sqn, Martlesham Heath, Boulton Paul Nighthawk NF.Mk.I (converting to DH Mosquito NF.Mk.VIII)
26 Sqn, Martlesham Heath, Gloster Meteor F.Mk.III
19 Sqn, Tangmere, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.III
Southern Sector, HQ RAF Box
23 Sqn, Middle Wallop, DH Hornet FB.Mk.I
92 Sqn, Middle Wallop, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.III
152 Sqn, Warmwell, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.I
79 Sqn, Pembrey, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
137 Sqn, Charmy Down, DH Hornet FB.Mk.I
175 Sqn, Exeter, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.I
587 Sqn (Target Towing), Exeter, Miles Martinet
595 Sqn (Target Towing), Aberporth, Miles Martinet and Hawker Tempest TT.Mk.IV

No 12 Group, HQ Watnall
Eastern Sector, HQ Bawburgh

56 Sqn, Duxford, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.I
609 Sqn (West Riding), Duxford, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I (converting to Hawker Tempest F.Mk.I)
181 Sqn, Duxford, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.II
74 Sqn, Coltishall, Gloster Meteor F.Mk.I & F.Mk.III
242 Sqn, Coltishall, BCAC Spiteful F.Mk.I
167 Sqn, Horsham St Faith, Boulton Paul Nighthawk NF.Mk.I
695 Sqn (Target Towing), Horsham St Faith, Miles Martinet and DH Mosquito TT.Mk.VII
132 Sqn, Wittering, Gloster Meteor F.Mk.III
43 Sqn, Wittering, Hawker Tempest F.Mk.III
129 Sqn, Wittering, (forming with Gloster Meteor F.Mk.III)
Northern Sector, HQ Shipton
29 Sqn, Digby, DH Hornet FB.Mk.I
64 Sqn, Church Fenton, DH Hornet FB.Mk.I
151 Sqn, Church Fenton, BCAC Spiteful F.Mk.I (receiving some Spiteful F.Mk.III)
71 Sqn, Catterick, Hawker Typhoon F.Mk.I
68 Sqn, Catterick, Boulton Paul Nighthawk NF.Mk.I
32 Sqn, Acklington, Martin-Baker M.B.5
263 Sqn, Acklington, Gloster Meteor F.Mk.III
Western Sector, HQ Longley Lane
631 Sqn (Target Towing), Llanbedr, Miles Martinet and Hawker Tempest TT.Mk.IV

No 13 Group, HQ Newcastle
Scottish Sector, HQ Barnton Quarry

65 Sqn, Turnhouse, BCAC Spiteful F.Mk.I
141 Sqn, Grangemouth, Boulton Paul Nighthawk NF.Mk.I
553 Sqn (Target Towing), West Freugh, Miles Martinet
145 Sqn, Dyce, Hawker Tornado F.Mk.I

Sunday, March 22nd 2015, 2:46pm

To fit into this new structure, the British Army's Anti-Aircraft Command is also being restructured.

Now all planned wartime battery sites are to be placed inside Gun Defended Areas. Each area is controlled from an Anti-Aircraft Operations Room (AAOR). These will be placed either inside existing forts or barracks or will be purpose-built two-storey reinforced concrete bunkers (one storey underground) at the cost of £20-30,000 each. The AAORs will filter information to the RAF Sector Operations Centres (SOC) (as listed in the post above) where the Army Group Commander will be located. Each Army group corresponds to the RAF defensive sector (except Group 1 covers both Eastern and Metropolitan Sectors).

There are a total of 684 AA positions listed for wartime use, only around 78 key sites will be fully operational in peacetime. Each position will adopt the new four battery layout with a reinforced concrete command post and protected generators. Full provision is made for gun-laying RDF mobile sets. The battery layout will be generally square or diamond four corner pits or four in a shallow arc. Some coastal batteries have a shore defence role as well.

Anti-Aircraft Command G.O.C. Lt. Gen F. Morgan
Eastern Sector, Group 1, HQ Bawburgh

Harwich, AAOR Mistley Heath
Norwich, AAOR Earlham
Thames North, AAOR Vange
Thames South, AAOR Fort Bridgewoods
London North, AAOR Lippets Hill
London South, AAOR Pendell Camp
London West, AAOR RAF Uxbridge
Dover, AAOR Dover Castle

Southern Sector, Group 2, HQ Box
Portsmouth/ Southampton, AAOR Fort Fareham
Bristol, AAOR Landsdown
Brockworth, AAOR Ullenwood
Plymouth, AAOR Crownhill Fort
Portland, AAOR Ridgeway Hill
Cardiff, AAOR Wenault
Swansea, AAOR West Cross
Milford Haven, AAOR Llanion Barracks

Scottish Sector, Group 3, HQ Barnton Quarry
Loch Ewe, AAOR Gairloch
Glasgow/ Clyde, AAOR East Kilbride
Clyde Anchorage, AAOR Inverkip
Forth/ Rosyth, AAOR Craigiehall

Western Sector, Group 4, HQ Longley Lane
Birmingham, AAOR Wylde Green
Mersey, AAOR Frodsham
Coventry/ Rugby, AAOR Stoneleigh Park
Barrow, AAOR Abbeywood
Manchester, AAOR Worsley
Belfast, AAOR Lisburn
Londonderry, AAOR Eglington

Northern Sector, Group 5, HQ Shipton
Tyne, AAOR Gosforth
Tees, AAOR Kirklevington Hall
Hull, AAOR Wawne
Leeds, AAOR Birkenshaw
Sheffield, AAOR Conisborough
Derby, AAOR Elvaston

Sunday, April 19th 2015, 1:36pm

1946 Jet Technology Update

Aircraft

Gloster G.40 E.28/37 Pioneer
Developed as a flying testbed for the Whittle W.1 gas turbine. The third prototype, W4047, refitted with a 1,700lb Rolls-Royce Welland engine is now used for general duties at RAE Farnborough. The first prototype W4041 has been donated to the Science Museum in London.

Gloster G.41 Meteor
Meteor F.Mk.I
The prototypes were followed by twenty G.41A production aircraft from 12 January 1944. These had improved canopies and 1,700lb Wellands. The eighteenth aircraft, EE227 was converted into the RB.50 Trent Propeller-Turbine testbed as part of the research programme under Spec N.11/43. In July 1944, the first were issued to an operational squadron.
Dimensions; 43/ 41.3/ 13/ 374 sq ft; 2x 1,700lb Rolls-Royce RB.23 Welland I; max speed 415mph at 10,000ft; range 500 miles; service ceiling 40,000ft and MTOW 13,795lb. Armament: 4x 20mm Orkileon FFB cannon.
Meteor F.Mk.II
Planned as the de Havilland Goblin powered production mark. Now officially cancelled.
Meteor F.Mk.III
These have improved fuel capacity and a new sliding bubble canopy, the 130 F.Mk.IIIs form the balance of the original order of 150 Meteors. All were powered by the more powerful 2,200lb RB.26 Derwent turbojet, as tested on DG204. An extra ventral fuel tank was also fitted. The first example flew in January 1945 and the mark entered operational service in March. On 7 November 1945 at Herne Bay an F.Mk.III achieved a record speed of 606mph flown by Group Captain H.J. Wilson.
Dimensions; 43/ 41.3/ 13/ 374 sq ft; 2x 2,200lb Rolls-Royce RB.26 Derwent II; max speed 520mph; range 600 miles; service ceiling 40,000ft and MTOW 13,795lb. Armament: 4x 20mm Orkileon FFB cannon.
Meteor F.Mk.IV
Under design for an attempt on the world air speed record with reduced wingspan and 3,500lb Derwent V engines. The prototype first flew on 28 March 1946. The F.Mk.IV will become the new production standard fighter mark with 150 on order from late 1945.
Meteor FR.Mk.V
A photo-reconnaissance variant of the F.Mk.IV equipped with two vertical cameras in the nose and two oblique cameras in the fuselage. No cannon are fitted. 50 were ordered in 1945 for delivery from March 1947.

Gloster G.45 Sea Meteor FSN.Mk.VI
Developed to meet Spec N.11/43 issued to Gloster for development of a navalised Meteor powered by two propeller-turbines. The eighteenth production Meteor, EE227, was fitted with two RB.50 Trent propeller-turbines and became, in effect, the prototype G.45. A second navalised prototype was built and made its first flight 20 July 1945. Twenty ordered for the RANAS in 1944. Entry into service was during September 1946 and 100 were ordered.
Dimensions; 43/ 41.3/ 13/ 374 sq ft; 2x 750shp + 1,250lbs Rolls-Royce RB.50 Trent I; max speed 412mph; range 800 miles; service ceiling 35,000ft and MTOW 13,795lb. Armament: 4x 20mm Orkileon FFB2 cannon and two 250-1,000lb underwing bombs or 8x 60lb RPs.

De Havilland DH.100 Vampire
Two prototypes were ordered under Spec E.6/41, LZ548 and LZ551. The first prototype made its maiden flight at Hatfield on 20 September 1943 followed by LZ551 two months later. A major problem, eventually overcome, was snaking during high-speed runs, which was cured by altering the fin shape and tail arrangement. In 1943 100 production fighters were ordered.
Vampire F.Mk.I
The first production F.Mk.I flew on 20 April 1944 powered by a 3,100lb Goblin II. 100 are on order. From the fortieth aircraft underwing drop tanks will be fitted as standard and a pressurised cockpit will be ready from the fifty-first aircraft. Service entry with the RAF is planned for March 1946.
Dimensions; 38/ 30.9/ 8.10/ 262 sq ft; 1x 3,100lb de Havilland DGo.2 Goblin II; max speed 540mph; range 730 miles and service ceiling 42,800ft. Armament: 4x 20mm Orkileon FFB cannon.
Sea Vampire FN.Mk.II
Basically an F.Mk.I but with catapult spools and arrestor gear. The prototype LZ551 was converted with 40% extra flaps, long travel oleos and an arrestor hook. It first flew in this form in January 1944. 12 production aircraft were built during 1944 by Fairey and on 3 December 1944, LZ551 piloted by Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown became the first pure-jet aircraft to land on and take off from an aircraft carrier.
Vampire F.Mk.III
An improved variant with more fuel in extended wing tanks, the tailplane was lowered and its chord extended. The prototype TG275 flew on 4 November 1945, it is hoped the mark will enter service from mid-1947.
Dimensions; 38/ 30.9/ 8.10/ 262 sq ft; 1x 3,100lb de Havilland DGo.2 Goblin II; max speed 540mph; range 1,145 miles and service ceiling 42,800ft. Armament: 4x 20mm Orkileon FFB cannon.

AIRCO Handley Page H.P.77 Hampton
Developed to meet P.8/44 for a 32-seat airliner for BEA. The prototype was first flown on 26 November 1945. The HP.77 seats 34-24 passengers four-abreast with three flight crew plus cabin crew. The prototype is powered by two 2,200hp Bristol Theseus II propeller-turbines. It is hoped to fit improved 2,500shp Theseus III engines next year.
Dimensions; 83/ 76/ 22/ 860 sq ft; 2x 2,200hp Bristol Theseus II; max cruising speed 337mph; range 1,000 miles; service ceiling 25,500ft and MTOW 40,000lb.

BCAC (Vickers) Type 618 Nene-Viking
A conversion of the Ministry of Supply owned VX865 with two Rolls-Royce Nene I turbojets for a research programme into civil jet-powered airliners. The aircraft was assigned civil registration G-AJPH. Modifications include thicker skin plating on the wing and tail surfaces, metal-covered elevators and new nacelles for the engines with a new undercarriage consisting of twin-wheel units to absorb higher landing speeds and weights. The first flight following conversion was made by Vickers Chief Test Pilot ‘Mutt’ Summers from Wisley on 6 April 1946. On 25 July Summers set a new record between London Airport and Villacoublay, Paris of 34min 7sec at a mean speed of 384mph
Dimensions; 89.3/ 65.2/ 20.6/ 881.89 sq ft; 2x 5,000lb Rolls-Royce Nene I; max speed 485mph; cruising speed 394mph; range 345nm and service ceiling 44,000ft

BCAC (Vickers) Type 601 Windsor B.Mk.III
Designed to meet Spec B.9/45 for a Rolls-Royce Clyde powered variant of the Windsor bomber. The variant was planned to be powered by four 3,020shp + 1,225lb RR Clyde II propeller-turbines in new nacelles, cruise speed estimated 390mph at 20,000ft, sea level rate of climb 3,050ft/min, time to 30,000ft 17 minutes, service ceiling 37,000ft and range 2,415 miles with 3,580gal of fuel. Twin 0.50in MG nose turret and chin-mounted H2S radar of Mk II would be fitted. Known as Type 601 Windsor B, the prototype B.Mk.III WF557 first flew on December 14 1945 powered by four 4,030ehp RB.39 Clyde I engines. The second prototype WF562 will not fly until next year as the planned Clyde II engines are not yet ready.

Engines

Rolls-Royce RB.23 Welland
Diameter: 43 in (1,098 mm)
Dry weight: 850 lb (386 kg)
Maximum thrust: 1,700lbs

Rolls-Royce RB.26 Derwent
Derwent I 2,000lbs 1943
Derwent II 2,200lbs 1944
Derwent IV 2,400lbs 1944
Derwent V 3,500lbs 1945
Length: 84 in (2,135 mm)
Diameter: 41.5 in (1,055 mm)
Dry weight: 975 lb (443 kg)
Compressor: Single-stage dual-entry centrifugal compressor with two-sided impeller
Combustors: 10 flow combustors with igniter plugs in chambers 3 and 10
Turbine: Single-stage axial flow with 54 blades
Oil system: 2.75 gal (12.5 L) capacity, circulation rate 215 gal/hr (976 L/hr), maximum inverted flying time 15 s
Maximum thrust:
120lbs (0.5 kN) at 6,000 rpm at idle.
2,000lbs (8.9 kN) at 16,500 rpm for take-off
1,550lbs (6.9 kN) at 15,000 rpm for cruise
Overall pressure ratio: 3.9:1
Fuel consumption:
470 lb/hr (215 kg/hr) at idle
1,820 lb/hr (830 kg/hr) at cruise power
2,360 lb/hr (1,070 kg/hr) at maximum power
Oil consumption: 0.125 gal/hr (0.57 L/hr)
Thrust-to-weight ratio: 2.1:1 (20.1 N/kg)

RB.41 Nene I 4,500lbs 1944
The Rolls-Royce RB.41 Nene is essentially an enlarged version of the Derwent with minimal changes to deliver 5,000lbs of thrust, making it the most powerful engine of its era. The Nene was designed and built in an astonishingly short five-month period in 1944, first running on 27 October 1944. Although based on the axial version of the basic Whittle-style layout, the Nene uses a double-sided centrifugal compressor for improved pressure ratio and thus higher thrust. Development of a scaled-down Nene specifically for use on the Meteor is the Derwent V.
Length: 96.8 in (2,459 mm)
Diameter: 49.5 in (1,257 mm)
Dry weight: 1,550 lb (700 kg) (less jet-pipe)
Compressor: Dual-entry centrifugal compressor with two-sided impeller
Combustors: 9 flow-combustion chambers
Turbine: Single-stage axial flow
Maximum thrust: 5,000 lbf (22.2 kN) at 12,400 rpm for takeoff
Overall pressure ratio: 4:1 static
Thrust-to-weight ratio: : 3.125

Rolls-Royce RB.50 Trent
RB.50 Trent I 750shp + 1,250lbs
The Rolls-Royce RB.50 is the company’s first propeller-turbine engine. The RB.50 is essentially a Derwent II turbojet engine with an additional turbine stage driving a reduction gearbox (designed by A. A. Rubbra) connected to a five-bladed Rotol propeller. The RB.50 ran for 633 hours on test during 1943, before being installed in a Gloster Meteor jet fighter which flew for the first time on 20 September 1944. The planned rating is 750shp + 1,250lbs residual thrust. It completed 298 hours of flight tests.

Rolls-Royce RB.39 Clyde
RB.39 Clyde I 2,300shp + 1,040lbs (4,030ehp)
The RB.39 is Rolls-Royce's first purpose-designed propeller-turbine engine. It uses a two-spool design, with an axial compressor for the low-pressure section, and a single-sided centrifugal compressor as the high-pressure stage, running on concentric shafts. The RB.39 is a long engine with the axial LP compressor in front of, in effect, a scaled down Derwent engine. Accessories are grouped around the axial. Cooling for turbines and turbine bearings comes from a small diffuser on the main shaft as well as tappings from the axial and centrifugal compressors. Began bench testing in late 1944 and the engine began initial flight tests on a loaned Fairey Spearfish, RA368, during September 1945. One problem during testing was damaging resonances emanating from the straight-cut spur gears in the reduction gearbox.
Length: 10.1 ft (3.08 m)
Diameter: 3.9 ft (1.19 m)
Dry weight: 2,800 lb (1,300 kg)
Compressor: LP - 9 stage axial, HP - Single centrifugal stage
Combustors: Eleven can-type combustion chambers
Turbine: HP - single stage axial, LP - single stage axial
Oil system: Pressure spray scavenge system
Maximum thrust: 1,225lbs
Overall pressure ratio: 6:1
Specific fuel consumption: 0.71 lb/hp/hr (0.24 kg/kW/hr)
Power-to-weight ratio: 1.43 hp/lb (2.08 kW/kg)

RB.53
This smaller turboprop design designed for civilian use in smaller aircraft was first bench run in 1945. Power output is around 1,500shp.

De Havilland H-1 Goblin
H-1 Goblin I 2,700lbs 1943
H-1 Goblin II 3,100lbs 1944
DGo.3 Goblin III 3,350lbs 1945
DGo.4 Goblin IV 3,750lbs 1945
Length: 107 in (2,718 mm)
Diameter: 50 in (1,270 mm)
Dry weight: 1,550 lb (703 kg)
Compressor: Single sided, centrifugal flow
Combustors: 16 chambers
Turbine: Single stage
Maximum thrust: 3,000lbs at 10,200 rpm
Overall pressure ratio: 3.3:1
Turbine inlet temperature: 790 °C
Fuel consumption: 3,720 lb/hr (465 imp.gal/hr) (1,687 kg/hr - 2,114 L/hr)
Specific fuel consumption: 1.3 lbs/lb/hr
Thrust-to-weight ratio: 1.9 lbs/lb

H-2 Ghost I 4,400lbs
DGh.1 Ghost II 4,850lbs
The de Havilland Ghost was originally the Halford H-2. The Ghost came about when de Havilland started work on turbojet commercial aircraft in 1943. Frank Halford was able to meet the power requirements by simply scaling up the H-1. The H-2 uses ten larger flame cans in place of the Goblin's sixteen smaller ones, using split intakes to each can to feed in more air (equal to twenty cans feeding off the compressor). The H-2 was renamed the Ghost when de Havilland took over the Halford company. The Ghost began testing in 1944, and it first became airborne in October 1945.
Length: 121 in
Diameter: 53 in
Dry weight: 2,218 lb
Compressor: Single stage centrifugal flow
Combustors: 10 chambers
Turbine: Single-stage
Maximum thrust: 4,850lbs
Overall pressure ratio: 4.6
Specific fuel consumption: 1.02 lb/hr/lbf
Power-to-weight ratio: 2.25

H-3 Globe I 500shp 1945
Designed by Frank Halford as a replacement for the Gipsy series of engines. Originally it was the H-3 but was later renamed the Globe on the take-over of Halford’s company by de Havilland. Bench run in 1945.

Armstrong Siddeley ASX
Length: 13 ft 11 in (4,240 mm)
Diameter: 42 in (1,068 mm)
Dry weight: 1,900 lb (865 kg)
Compressor: Axial flow, 14-stage
Combustors: 11 chambers, Nimonic 75 steel.
Turbine: Two stage, axial flow
Maximum thrust: 2,800lbs at 8,000 rpm
Specific fuel consumption: 1.03 lb/lbf/hr
Thrust-to-weight ratio: 0.73:1

ASP.1 600shp + 1,100lbs 1944
ASP.3 3,670shp + 1,180lbs 1945
The experimental ASX axial turbojet was converted into a turboprop with the addition of a second turbine stage, which was geared to the propeller and was named ASP. It first ran in April 1944. Early flight-testing was carried out using a Lancaster, having the two outboard Rolls-Royce Merlins replaced by ASPs.
Length: 123.2 in (3129 mm)
Diameter: 54 in (1372 mm)
Dry weight: 3,450 lb (1565 kg)
Compressor: 14 stage axial
Combustors: 11 combustion chambers
Turbine: Two-stage turbine
Maximum power output: ASP.1 3,600ehp including 1,100lbs exhaust thrust,; ASP.3 3,670ehp including 1,180lbs exhaust thrust; ASP.3 4,110ehp at sea level at 8,000 rpm including 1,180lbs exhaust thrust
Overall pressure ratio: 5.35:1
Specific fuel consumption: 0.805 lb/hr/ehp
Power-to-weight ratio: 1.2:1

ASM.1
The ASM.1 is a compact engine with a 10-stage axial compressor, six combustion chambers and a two-stage power turbine. The epicyclic reduction gearbox is incorporated in the propeller spinner. Engine starting is by cartridge. At the early bench test stage.

Bristol Theseus I 2,200hp 1944
Theseus II 2,200hp 1945
The Theseus was the Bristol Aeroplane Company's first gas-turbine engine design. A novel feature is the use of a heat exchanger to transfer waste heat from the exhaust to the compressor exit. Following 156 hours of ground runs and the receipt of a test certificate from the Air Ministry on 28 January 1945, two Theseus engines were fitted in the outer positions of an Avro Lancaster for air tests. The Theseus II is a production-standard variant.
Length: 81.85 in (2.07 m)
Diameter: 54 in (1.372 m)
Dry weight: 2,205 lb (1,000 kg)
Compressor: 8-stage axial, followed by a single centrifugal stage
Combustors: 8 combustion chambers
Turbine: Three-stage
Maximum power output: 2,220hp plus 825lbs exhaust thrust
Fuel consumption: 272 Imperial gallon (1,237 l) /hour
Power-to-weight ratio: 1.0 hp/lb

Bristol Proteus
A new design which is a two spool, reverse-flow gas turbine. Because the turbine stages of the inner spool drive no compressor stages, only the propeller, this engine is classifiable as a free turbine. Design work on the Proteus started in September 1944, during the course of development the gas generator section was built as a small turbojet which became known as the Bristol Phoebus. This engine was test flown in May 1945 fitted to the bomb bay of an Avro Lancaster but performance was poor due to airflow problems.