You are not logged in.

Sunday, October 5th 2014, 5:00am

Chesapeake Class Battlecruiser

There's a design out there, somewhere, for a historical never-built American BC class, usually dubbed "Chesapeake". It's got three triple 14", majority aft and non-superfiring.

I'm trying to find a pic but just get oodles of sail frigates and starships. Anybody have one?

Sunday, October 5th 2014, 5:27am

Canis drew one up, actually. Bottom image...

There's also a layout drawing in Friedman's "US Cruisers", but I don't have a scan of that.

Sunday, October 5th 2014, 5:31am

Thanks!

That is...homelier...than I remember it being.

Monday, October 6th 2014, 2:41am

Yeah, it's not an ideal layout.

Unfortunately, the Russian Khranitel class seems based on this principle, albeit with two turrets forward and one aft. Not entirely ideal, from my point of view, but what's built is built...

Monday, October 6th 2014, 4:18am

The main battery is okay, for something relatively early - I'm eyeballing something 1910-ish for Navalism.

It's that single funnel, dinky litle superstructure and awful raised forecastle that hurt my eyes.

Monday, October 6th 2014, 11:08am

There's also a layout drawing in Friedman's "US Cruisers", but I don't have a scan of that.

Its basically a Northampton with 25 extra feet length wise and a single turret forward. Appearance wise it looks more like a Pensacola class with not much superstructure....if that's the one you are referring too. Otherwise I can't find a picture in Friedman's book.

Friday, October 17th 2014, 10:39pm

Canis was being accurate to the source material.