You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, May 15th 2003, 3:42pm

Saved thread - Players for UK and USA?

LordArpad
Spammer wanna be
(5/13/03 8:28:01 am)
Players for UK and USA?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi folks

the idea of having players for the UK and USA has come up.aowwt has said that he would like them to post stuff like their quarterly building etc.

On the one hand that would serve to remind us of them and thus add realism to the SIM.

OTOH I see biig problems: they are the two 800 pound gorillas and with the fleet strengths they have they will not be neutral. They are the world's policemen and will interfere, otherwise those huge navies are not needed. In the UK's case I can see them being there and peacefully plying their colonial empire, but the USA don't really have one (other than the Phillipines). Activity by both countries would tend togetthem involved, the whole power play of the SIM would change, maybe even to the point where we all gang up on them. Not really what we wanted.

For my part I would have written the treaty differently, not giving them the exalted station they have and have them in as countries. OK, further away from history, but maybe easier to play. But that is water under the bridge. End of the day: I don't think we should have players for them.

Oh and as to Steve: could somebody please fill me in as tohis role? Which country and where is it on the map? and if he is neutral, why is he in? Just to add some news? Not a bad idea.

cheers

Bernhard

aowwt
Administrator
(5/13/03 8:39:53 am)
Re: Players for UK and USA?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The US historically didnt do a single thing other than to keep thier fleet where the problem areas was or will be. In the late 20's the majority of the US fleet moved to san deigo to keep japan from being to agreessive. It was kept there until Hitler attacked poland then took out france. Now thats the historical side of the US fleet. The thing is the US didnt care about the rest of the world unless it dealt with China or the Americas. Otherwise they just sat back and other nations attack each other.

As for the UK, they would get into dissagreements but with the public opion for not sending thier small regular army over seas to fight a police action or any action i doubt they would get involved unless it pertained directly to a european power being attacked. Anyhow from the history i read they would be a little uneasy of India but not terribly so as of late.

Your idea of a new treaty sounds intriging as well.
Lessons for modern warfare:
"human intel is necessary, always be on the look out, and expect the unexpected"

Come to the Wargamer Forum at JPs Panzers Board

King of Riva
So you want to be a spammer
(5/13/03 8:56:15 am)
"Your idea of a new treaty sounds intriging as well."

Urgh!

Oh no, boys, not that one again! Argh! We finally agreed on the current treaty (latest draft with some minor changes in wording to make it easier to read is yet to post) and are just millimeters away from signing. We really, really shouldn´t start new negotiations on the treaty. Oh no....

King of Riva
(5/13/03 9:11:07 am)
Coldmere
Coldmere (Steves country) is the Monaco of the North, a small kingdom, surounded by norwegian/nordmakian territory. A small place for the high society (you should be able to find some stuff in the old news). Its largest warships is an outdated DD, IIRC, serving as royal yacht or something.
The most modern unit over there will be the submarine that is currently build in the SAE for Coldmere. It will be used for cruises and thus will get a saloon with much glass, searchlights to see the underwater world outside etc.

To sum it up: One fine day back on the warships1 design board where all this started Steve came up with the idea of joining the SIM, IIRC. But at that time, we had enough players/signatories and thus he choosed to stay and watch the progress. Coldmere was some kind of running gag at first but we got used to it. So he´s officially rated as a participant in the SIM but not as a signatory of the treaty (something similar was planed for India until that player choosed to become a signatory).

The Rock Doctor
Spammer wanna be
(5/13/03 9:11:33 am)
I don't know what the historical treaty allocations were for the UK and USA, compared to what they're getting here. I've expressed a willingness to have somebody play these countries, but on the whole, I don't think it's necessary. We can simply regard their possessions as untouchable, and they in turn won't be out adventuring.

I'll agree with King here: the time to tinker with the treaty further has passed. We need to move forward.

Aowwt...as the Indian player, I gotta ask: is it "historical" history or my alternate history that would have Britain watching me? Just curious...

J

AdmKuznetsov
Spammer wanna be
(5/13/03 9:14:11 am)

Quoted

We really, really shouldn´t start new negotiations on the treaty. Oh no....

That is too painful to even think about. We've only been nearly <six months> on the one we've (almost) got now.

Visit my Russian/French fantasy fleet page:
admkuznetsov.tripod.com

Pengolodh
Spammer wanna be
(5/13/03 9:32:47 am)
I think what we need is not so much a handler of USA and UK as such, but a referee of sorts, who handles not only combat between our fleets, but also the neutrals, and responds when we give those neutrals something to respond to (or at least tells us what is out of the question, when we start bullying neutrals around).
Best regards
Pengolodh
"Iraq will not be defeated. Iraq has now already achieved victory - apart from some technicalities."
- Mohsen Khalil, Iraqi Ambassador to the Arab League

LordArpad
Spammer wanna be
(5/13/03 9:41:21 am)
Well, let's make my self clear here, shall I? I am _not_ suggestion renegotiating the treaty. I was rather trying to say that in another sim, in the dim future, that kind of thing is something we might want to consider. As far as I am concerned the cornerstones and already agreed details of this sim stand. That includes no changes to the treaty and no new players.

I really like the idea of a referee and y'all know Steve better than I do - would you trust him to do that? Steve, would you be interested?

cheers

Bernhard

King of Riva
(5/13/03 10:58:10 am)
In Steve we trust!

Ehm... Jep.... *g*

thesmilingassassin
Spammer wanna be
(5/14/03 12:58:44 am)
Steve
He was exactly the man i had in mind for controling the Neutral countrys if he would accept the responcibility.

Pengolodh
Spammer wanna be
(5/14/03 7:02:13 am)
Re: Steve
Steve doesn't have the opportunity right now, it seems - he is apparently in significant risk of being completely offline the enxt month.
Best regards
Pengolodh
"Iraq will not be defeated. Iraq has now already achieved victory - apart from some technicalities."
- Mohsen Khalil, Iraqi Ambassador to the Arab League

Steve Bradfield
Spammer wanna be
(5/14/03 1:22:25 pm)
Re: Steve
Hello all. The King is right (it's good to be the King). I made up Coldmere as a joke which just sort of occured to me at the time, and it ran away from there. I've never designed a single ship (though I have used Springstyle to try to copy historical ships, as naval history is one of my true loves). I also have looked at the treaty rules and will freely admit that they are beyond my comprehension.

I never considered trying to actually run a country, and poor Coldmere's only real involvement with the news is wondering if poor Manzo is ever going to arrive-that and still awaiting the visit from Her Imperial Highness. I'm not sure if I would be able to cope with actually running two nations, even if they are neutral.

As to my personal situation, after being out of work for almost a year I'm faced with two possibilities:
1) moving out of my current situation and becoming technically "homeless".
2) getting accepted to a truck-driving school, which would be good for the monetary and home situations but would result in my being on the road (and away from the computer) for weeks at a time.

Of course if I do find a job soon enough that will all change, which is why I refer to my off-lineness as "tentative".

If things work out I will consider trying to run the two countries, but I worry about my capabilities and I also devote a lot of time to my own Naval Wargame and doing artwork for a friend's games.

I will do my best to keep everyone posted as to my status, though. Best of luck with the continuation of the sim.

Steve