You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, May 31st 2014, 2:06pm

Netherlands Army Plans

There are no major changes from Kirk's original plans, some newer equipment is added and some blank areas filled in, in regards to equipment.

Netherlands Home Forces

I Corps, HQ Amsterdam
I Division
V Res. Division
1e Royal Guard Fusilier Regiment

II Corps, HQ Groningen
II Division
IV Division
I Res. Division

III Corps, HQ Arnhem
V Division
VI Division
II Res. Division
VI Res. Division
III Tank Brigade
4e Royal Guard Fusilier Regiment

IV Corps, HQ Eindhoven
VII Division
XI Division
IV Res. Division
II Tank Brigade
5e Royal Guard Fusilier Regiment
2e Royal Guard Dragoon Regiment

V Corps, HQ Zwolle
VIII Division
III Res. Division
3e Royal Guard Fusilier Regiment

Mobile Corps, HQ Utrecht
III Division
IX Division (Breda)
I Tank Brigade (Utrecht)

Commando Hague, HQ The Hague
2e Royal Guard Fusilier Regiment
1e Royal Guard Dragoon Regiment

Commando Marine, HQ Lelystad
3e Marine Brigade

Netherlands East Indies – Commando Nederlands-Indisch, HQ Batavia, Java

XI Corps, HQ Batavia, Java
X Division
VII Res. Division
IV Tank Brigade
X Tank Battalion (Soerabaja)
1e Marine Brigade
3e Royal Guard Dragoon Regiment

XII Corps, HQ Palembang, Sumatra
XIV Division
Perakan Division
V Tank Brigade
IX Tank Battalion (Dongalla)
4e Royal Guard Dragoon Regiment
Ten Perakan Artillery Battalions

XIII Corps, HQ Pontianak, Borneo
XV Division
XI Tank Battalion (Balikpapan)

XIV Corps, HQ Merauke, Nieuw Guinea
XII Division

Commando Molucca, HQ Malili
Molucca Division (Ambon)
2e Marine Brigade

Other NEI Area Forces
31 Independent Provincial Regiments
80 Base Garrison Battalions
23 Independent Engineer Battalions

Commando Afrika, HQ Bangui, Grand Duchy of Ubangi-Shari
1e Cavalry Regiment
6e Royal Guard Dragoon Regiment
XII Tank Battalion
Six Independent Provincial Battalions

[b]Commando Kongo, HQ Kaminia, Kingdom of Kongo

5e Royal Guard Dragoon Regiment
One Engineer Battalion

Army of the Kongo, HQ Kaminina
1e Brigade
2e Brigade
3e Brigade
4e Brigade
5e Brigade
Capital Guard – Three Fusilier companies

Suriname Commando, HQ Paramaribo
6e Royal Guard Fusilier Regiment
143 Inf. Regiment
157 Inf. Regiment
XIV Tank Battalion
Seven Independent Provincial Battalions

Commando Yemen, HQ Sanaa
274 Inf. Regiment
Two Engineer Battalions

Commando Arabia, HQ Dhahran
84 Inf. Regiment
XIII Tank Battalion
Two Engineer Battalions

I have expanded the number of companies of 16 armoured cars (four platoons of 4 cars) replacing the mounted reconnaissance units and tankette reconnaissance units attached to many regiments.
At the end of 1945 there should be:
23 companies in the Netherlands, 23 companies in DEI, 5 companies in Suriname and 1 company in Ubangi-Shari

The Belgo-Dutch Mobile Corps remains unchanged except self-propelled AA guns and assault guns will be added to fully mechanise these units. Nearly all Dutch units can assumed to be 'motorised' with access to trucks etc., but the ones assigned to the Mobile Corps will be fully mechanised, although APCs are not yet in use, although such equipment exists for units in the DEI (see below).
The tank doctrine will be less heavily-armoured than Kirk's Great War-esque doctrine of super-heavy tanks. In home units each Regiment will have two companies of heavies and two of mediums. Overseas that ratio will drop to two-three mediums and only one heavy. Lighter tanks are especially valued for mobility in the DEI, Africa and Suriname, where tank opposition is much lighter and does not require huge tanks.

Tanks

[Here is the new medium tank to replace the old Lt-33 fleet. Thanks to Brock for the specs and for his advice on the turret used.]
CKD LT vz. 42/45
The LT vz. 42 tank was designed in Czechoslovakia between 1939 and 1942 as the successor to the LT vz. 38 light tank and the ST vz. 39 medium tank. In April 1943, the Irish Army ordered thirty-six regular tanks and two training tanks to replace worn out Crusader cruisers, and further orders from Switzerland, Romania, and Yugoslavia followed. In 1945, a modified version was sold to the Netherlands, equipped with a French-designed oscillating turret (similar to the one used on the Char-6D), which in turn mounted the Cockerill 75mm/L54 anti-tank gun from Belgium.
Length: 6.13m (hull)
Width: 3.2m
Height: 2.755m
Weight: 24 tonnes
Engine: Two Tatra V910 V-12 diesels, 207hp each (max)
Speed: 55kph (road)
Range: 250km (road)
Transmission: Manual
Suspension: Torsion spring pendant arms
Power to Weight Ratio: 17.25 hp / tonne
Armament: 1x 75mm L/54 Cockerill and co-axial 7.92mm FN-Browning, 1x 13.2mm FN-Browning (pintle mounted)
Protection: Turret face: 40mm; Glacis: 25mm-45mm (sloped); Sides: 25mm
Crew: 4

[Here is my rendition of Kirk's stillborn T-44-100, it is a T-44 clone, actually much the same size and armour and firepower as the latter T-41s Kirk built, but much lighter. This actually has decent mobility and speed beyond crawling over mud and craters]
T-44
Design work on the T-44 began as the T-44-100 during mid-1943 as a replacement for the T-41 series. The hull was based on the T-41 hull but without the spaced armour used previously and a new sloped front glacis was incorporated. A new torsion bar suspension with five road wheels and no return rollers. A new cast turret was also designed; plans to fit a 100mm gun were soon dropped however. A prototype undertook mechanical trials during late 1944 but it was not until mid-1945 that the planned engine was ready and a series of ten prototypes were produced. An order for 210 was placed in September 1944 and deliveries began during 1946.
Dimensions: 6.1 (7.7m over gun) x 3.49 x 3.0m
Weight: 35.7 tonnes
Engine: 600hp DAF V-12 diesel, 8-speed transmission, torsion bar suspension
Speed: 43 km/h (26 mph)
Range: 350 km (220 miles)
Armament: 1x 90mm L/60 Cockerill (82 rounds) and co-axial 13.2mm FN-Browning in turret, 1x 13.2mm FN-Browning in hull front and 1x 13.2mm FN-Browning atop turret (2,000 rpg)
Armour: 180/150-90/45/30mm (turret), 120/90-40/40/30/24mm (hull), 25mm armour skirts
Crew: 5

[Needing more 75mm assault guns (several had been purchased from Italy years ago), I've taken Kirk's cancelled T-41D production line and rehulled them as assault SPGs]
GG-44(Gemechaniseerd geschut 44)
The need for additional self-propelled guns to mechanise the Armoured Brigade’s artillery was partially met by adapting 30 unfinished T-41D hulls. These had been cancelled but components existed and some had begun assembly. The turret was removed and replaced by an enlarged upper hull modelled on those of German Sturmgeshutz designs. All were quickly modified and all were completed by the beginning of 1945. Plans to build additional new-build vehicles were cancelled.
Dimensions: 6.1 x 3.49 x 2.3m
Weight: 45.1 tonnes
Engine: 510hp Skoda V-12 diesel
Speed: 33 km/h (20 mph)
Range: 245 km (152 miles)
Armament: 1x 75mm L/21 FRC (80 rounds) in hull, 1x 13.2mm FN-Browning in hull front and 1x 13.2mm FN-Browning atop turret (2,000 rpg)
Armour: 120/81-35/40/30/24mm (hull), 25mm armour skirts

[The optimum SPG, thanks to Brock for the specs]
GG-45 (Gemechaniseerd geschut 45)
The GG45 is built on the chassis of the versatile Czech LT vz.38 light tank. The hull features a roomy casemate atop the hull which houses a 105mm/L20 howitzer, designed for use as an infantry support gun. 100 were delivered by CKD during 1945.
Length: 5.05m (hull)
Width: 2.14m
Height: 2.29m
Weight: 12.4 tonnes
Engine: One 180hp Tatra V910 V-12 diesel
Speed: 45kph (road), 15kph (offroad)
Range: 250km (road), 100 km (cross-country) with 220L fuel
Suspension: Leaf Spring
Armament: 1x 105mm/L20 howitzer
Protection: Glacis/casemate: 25mm-45mm (sloped); Sides: 25mm; Top: 10mm; Floor: 8mm; Rear: 15mm

[A new strand in my doctrine is the replacement of towed AT guns in the armoured units with powerful tank hunters, much more economical than the creeping T-41 series of tanks. This is a bespoke design requested by me and drawn up by Brock.]
TJ-45 (Tankjager 45)
The Tankjager 45 is based on the Czech vz.42 hull, chassis, and running gear, but carries a Cockerill 90mm/L50 gun in a casemate. 200 were built by CKD.
Length: 6.13m (hull)
Width: 3.2m
Height: 2.6m
Weight: 22 tonnes
Engine: Two Tatra V910 V-12 diesels, 207hp each (max)
Speed: 55kph (road)
Range: 250km (road)
Suspension: Torsion spring pendant arms
Power to Weight Ratio: 18.8 hp / tonne Armament: 1x 90mm/L50 Cockerill, 1x 13.2mm FN-Browning heavy machine gun (pintle mounted)
Protection: Glacis: 35mm-60mm (sloped); Sides: 25mm

Armoured Cars

Skoda PA-IV

Armoured car, 360 built 1928-1933. I've backdated a modernisation programme to boost numbers and keep these operational.
From 1938, 215 were rebuilt as the PA-IVM with a new 95hp DAF 6-cylinder diesel engine, new wheels, improved suspension, new radio and a new turret armed with twin 13.2mm FN-Browning MGs.

[Wanting a new light armoured car, I hunted around for some likely candidates, spotting a real world Humbafox made up in the DEI from Canadian GM Fox hulls and Humber Mk. IV turrets at the end of the war for the DEI, I've cloned that to create a new home-grown armoured car.]
DAF M44 Pantserwagen
In 1941 Army officials were impressed by the British Daimler Armoured Car which they witnessed during exercises in Malaya. DAF began working on a similar design using elements of the Trado truck suspension system. A purpose-built assembly line was built at the Batavia Arsenal and the chassis was built locally by DAF Batavia, the armoured bodies and turrets imported from the Netherlands. The type was chosen to replace the Skoda PA-IV in DEI units and 260 were ordered during 1942, production lasting well into 1946. 100 of the order were supplied to units elsewhere in the colonial provinces.
Dimensions: 4.6 x 2.3 x 2.39 m
Weight: 8 tons
Engine: 95hp DAF 6-cyl diesel, 4x4 wheel drive
Speed: 71 km/h (44 mph)
Operational range: 320 km (200 miles)
Armament: 1x 37mm L/34 Bofors (55 rounds) and co-axial 7.92mm FN-Browning (2,800 rounds)
Armour: 15-10mm

[A real-world design, unchanged specs]
DAF M39 Pantserwagen
From 1935 the DAF company designed several armoured fighting vehicles based on its innovative Trado truck suspension system. The Trado III consisted of a leaf-springed bogie with two actuated road wheels that could be easily attached to, driven by and rotate on the back axis of any commercial truck, thus adding a "walking beam" to the vehicle that significantly improved its cross-country performance. The Trado III suspension could be fitted with a track on the lines of the Kégresse track, changing a vehicle into a half-track. From 1937 the Dutch Army encouraged DAF to develop this type into the Pantrado 3, a design more closely meeting army specifications for a reconnaissance vehicle. A prototype was built and in early 1939 fifty vehicles were ordered. The DAF M39 was a modern design with an all-welded monocoque construction of the hull and extensive use of sloped armour. The type was lightly armoured and relatively fast, with a good cross-country capability.
Dimensions: 4.75 x 2.08 x 2.16 m
Weight: 6,000 kg
Engine: 95hp Ford Mercury V-8 petrol with 4x6 drive, leaf and helical spring suspension
Power/weight ratio: 16.4
Speed: 75 km/h (47 mph)
Operational range: 200 km
Armament: 1x 37mm L/34 Bofors and co-axial 7.92mm FN-Browning in turret; 1x 7.92mm FN-Browning in hull front and 1x 7.92mm FN-Browning in rear hull
Armour: 10-5mm

[Again a real-world design, never-built, I've added a little fuel as the Germans did later to the M39s. The half-track is doable and suited to DEI needs]
DAF M40 Pantserwagen
This is an improved M39 with a further improved Trado III suspension system with drive to all six wheels for further improved cross-country performance and a large 100L fuel tank. A prototype was built in 1940 and very soon 150 were ordered which were delivered during 1941-43. During 1943 DAF Batavia built 40 with a Kégresse track fitted to create a half-track as the M40t.
Dimensions: 4.75 x 2.08 x 2.16 m
Weight: 6,200 kg
Engine: 112hp Ford Mercury V-8 petrol with 6x6 drive, leaf and helical spring suspension
Operational range: 300 km
Armament: 1x 37mm L/34 Bofors and co-axial 7.92mm FN-Browning in turret; 1x 7.92mm FN-Browning in hull front and 1x 7.92mm FN-Browning in rear hull
Armour: 10-5mm

[A real-world plan existed tor restart M40 production post-1945, but nothing came of this, a 57mm gun was mooted. Here I've removed the rear driver and fitted the 57mm semi-auto based on the AA gun in Army and Navy use]
DAF M45 Pantserwagen
This is a development of the DAF M40 with a new turret armed with a 57mm gun and thicker armour. The rear driver/ gunner position was removed. A prototype was produced in late-1944 and production began at the end of 1945. 240 production vehicles were produced until 1948.
Dimensions: 5.18 x 2.2 x 2.26 m
Weight: 7,850 kg
Engine: 185hp Minerva D-180S V-8 diesel with 6x6 drive, leaf and helical spring suspension
Operational range: 380 km
Armament: 1x 57mm L/70 FN-Madsen and co-axial 13.2mm FN-Browning in turret; 1x 7.92mm FN-Browning in hull front
Armour: 25-10mm

[Real-world conversions for DEI use, here they are more widely built and I've added a later fictional DAF 6x6 Trado based version]
Overvalwagen
These open-topped personnel carriers were locally-produced in the DEI. Conversions like these were used by the Stadswachten (city guards) and were called Overvalwagens (assault vehicles). The first were built by the Braat company in Soerabaja on 4x2 truck chassis. These had angled armour plating (10-5mm thick) over the hull and were armed with a 7.92mm MG in the front hull and four-six rifle ports in the rear hull; some were fitted with a raised armoured shelter roof. Some had a cut-down rear hull and a pintle-mounted 7.92mm FN-Browning added. 10-12 troops could be carried. Around 120 were built and another 72 were mobile AA vehicles with a 20mm FN-Madsen in the rear hull.
From 1943 DAF-Batavia produced another 90 using the 6x6 Trado III truck chassis as used by the M40 armoured car.

Vehicles

All these are real-world designs and I've included them here to fill some gaps. Most are imports but some home-stuff is also here.

AA-36
A light self-propelled AA gun based on the 1935 Opel P4 delivery van (Lieferwagen) chassis. This vehicle had no cab and the folding rear boards increased the platform area. The AA gun was a 13.2mm FN-Browning HMG. Around 240 were built for units overseas.

Artillery Tractors
Vickers Utility Tractor

Used for towing antitank guns, in October 1939, the Netherlands ordered 80 from the Familleureux-factory in Belgium for use in the DEI. Another 72 were purchased for the Marines in 1941.

Bandung Arsenal M39
A 30-cwt 4x4 truck with an 80hp 6-cyl engine. Around 280 were deviliered to DEI units for towing anti-tank guns, light artillery and all types of AA guns.

Motorcycles
BMW R35

Delivered during the late 1930s.

BSA
Delivered during the early 1940s for dispatch riders.

Norton Motorcycle-Sidecar
Used for reconnaissance and by dispatch riders with the artillery battalions. Some fitted for mounts for 7.92mm Browning MGs.

Staff and Command Cars
Chevrolet M28

Based on Chevrolet vans and built during the late 1920s. These vehicles were used for Staff/command duties and as a signal corps/radio truck.

Light Artillery Staff Car
Based on the Opel P4 passenger car chassis. The Opels' front wheel suspension was sufficient to allow driving on certain rougher terrain types, but was not an all-terrain vehicle.

Chevrolet M38
Normal Chevrolet cars used for very senior officers, equipped with folding canvas roofs. Some later vehicles had 4x4 drive.

Commandowagen
Based on an imported Ford/Marmon-Herrington 4x4 chassis. Used by motorised artillery batteries. They had front bumper rollers to avoid grounding over rough ground and a winch at the rear to tow guns and other vehicles in emergencies. A driver and eight gun-crew could be carried. 500 were delivered during 1939-42.

Trucks
Chevrolet M33 & M38 & M39

Standard Chevrolet 1.5 ton 4x2 GS trucks built at General Motors factory at Batavia. The M39 is a lighter version of the M38 with single rear wheels, a short wooden body and a cab without doors. All were also delivered in tanker and ambulance versions. Around 2,400 of all variants were produced up to 1943.

Chevrolet M40
A 1.5 ton 4x2 COE (cab over engine or forward control) truck. Around 1,900 were built up to 1944.

DAF M39
A 1.5 tons 4x4 truck based on a commercial chassis. Built from 1939 with a variety of general service, radio, ambulance and tanker bodies until 1945. Around 7,900 of all types built.

DAF Trado
These 4x6 and 6x6 trucks using the Trado suspension system were widely built with a variety of bodies. The artillery and the air-defence units were equipped with a ten-wheel version 9both rear axles double wheeled) for towing guns and searchlights. Other versions that were produced were designated for the engineer and pontoon-units, command staffs and some anti-tank gun units. All trucks were fitted with cellastic acrylic polymer bullet-proof tires. Around 10,500 were built between 1935-1946, including production by DAF-Batavia.

Brossels TAL

Bandung Arsenal M41

A 6x4 truck used as a general purpose type and also built for the engineers and further versions were used as artillery tractors.

Saturday, May 31st 2014, 8:55pm

Overvalwagens... I always knew the Dutch were a bunch of criminals. :D

(I usually associate the Dutch 'Overval ' with the English 'Robbery'...)

Not so sure about HQ Lelystad... as far as I know, there should be nothing there but water in 1945. The eastern part of Flevoland won't be drained for another 12 years and
Lelystad won't really exist as a place for another 20 years.

According to wiki, HQ of the Dutch marines is located at Den Helder as of 2005. I have not been able to find anything about its location prior to that (or more importantely about it in our current time period), but based on the fact that there a museum about the marines in Rotterdam as well as a monument dedicated to the marines who defended Rotterdam in 1940 and their anniversary is celebrated there, I would not be surprised if HQ used to be there.

Saturday, May 31st 2014, 10:45pm

I have a question about the GG-44(Gemechaniseerd geschut 44). From the description it would look as if it has a fixed superstructure, but there is reference to a 13.2mm FN machinegun "atop the turret". Just what does this beast look like? ?(

I was imagining at first a sawed-off Ferdinand but when I saw turret I wondered.

Your purchases in Czechoslovakia make very good sense; indeed, I wonder if the Czechs will acquire a variant of the TJ-45 (Tankjager 45) for their own use. Certainly it would make a good export money-spinner for someone.

Saturday, May 31st 2014, 11:22pm

Considering the "The turret was removed and replaced by an enlarged upper hull modelled on those of German Sturmgeshutz designs" bit (which I assume is the description bit you are referring to), I would assume that the MG bit was copied from the T-44 design and Hood forgot to alter the 'atop turret' bit.

Saturday, May 31st 2014, 11:34pm

Considering the "The turret was removed and replaced by an enlarged upper hull modelled on those of German Sturmgeshutz designs" bit (which I assume is the description bit you are referring to), I would assume that the MG bit was copied from the T-44 design and Hood forgot to alter the 'atop turret' bit.

That is the most likely explanation... but I do not wish to take anything for granted.

Sunday, June 1st 2014, 10:28am

Damn! Japanese intelligence has discovered my submarine Marine HQ and German intelligence have found my stealth plasma cannon turret! :P

Good call Walter, I'll move the Marine HQ to Den Helder, which makes sense since that's the biggest home port for the Navy and the main naval air station is there too. I hadn't taken into account the shifting shorelines of the Netherlands - my bad for using a modern atlas!
Good catch Bruce, it indeed was a paste error. Its corrected in my file for posting later. Interesting mental description you have there, I see the GG-44 as an odd mix of Souma 40 lower hull and tracks and something like an Italian Sevomente upper hull, maybe even something cast and rounded that looks something like retro-1930 style. I'll have to try drawing this beast I think.

Sunday, June 1st 2014, 2:57pm

Good catch Bruce, it indeed was a paste error. Its corrected in my file for posting later. Interesting mental description you have there, I see the GG-44 as an odd mix of Souma 40 lower hull and tracks and something like an Italian Sevomente upper hull, maybe even something cast and rounded that looks something like retro-1930 style. I'll have to try drawing this beast I think.

Have a look at the pre-war French SAu-40 - an S-35 hull turned into an assault gun. It even has a machine gun in a turret. ;)

Saturday, June 21st 2014, 3:48pm

Commando Yemen, HQ Sanaa
274 Inf. Regiment (Sanaa)
Two Engineer Battalions (Sanaa and Ta’Izz)

Commando Arabia, HQ Dhahran
84 Inf. Regiment (Dhahran)
XIII Tank Regiment (Jeddah)
Two Engineer Battalions (Dhahran and Jeddah)

Why are the Dutch garrisoning Saudi Arabia and Yemen?

Saturday, June 21st 2014, 4:15pm

Building on such info as this: http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?pag…91176#post91176 and http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?pag…4733#post124733

These forces (along with the naval air units in the AF OOB) are the Dutch protection under WASP and MERIF. It seems engineering units have been there for some time and are the same units doing various works of good in building roads and other construction projects. The two infantry regiments are a token defence/ training force to keep the Saud and Yemeni forces in trim and offer some deterrence against Indian expansionism from Asir and British forces in Aden. In his recent summing up posts, he stated the Sauds had been annoyed that the Dutch government had refused to sell them tanks or offensive weapons, so the tank regiment is the political sop to keep the Saud's sweet. They might not be driving the tanks themselves but they know they are there if needs be.

EDIT: The XIII Armoured Regiment has/will have 17x T-41A & 34x Lt-33 tanks, 16x TJ-45 tank hunters, 16x M44 armoured cars and 8x Lt-33 AA SPG. So mostly old tanks and some modern stuff.

Tuesday, July 8th 2014, 8:58pm

How is this for a revised T-44?

I've added 3 tonnes to the weight and reduced the frontal armour on the turret and the rear turret armour.

Weight: 38.7 tonnes
Armament: 1x 90mm L/60 Cockerill (82 rounds) and co-axial 13.2mm FN-Browning in turret, 1x 13.2mm FN-Browning in hull front and 1x 13.2mm FN-Browning atop turret (2,000 rpg)
Armour: 150/120-90/40/30mm (turret), 120/90-40/40/30/24mm (hull), 25mm armour skirts

Still undecided on the light tank idea. I like the T-42 as an all-round medium which is suited to European combat and also able to be a powerful tool in destroying beachheads etc. overseas.

Wednesday, July 9th 2014, 2:32pm

How is this for a revised T-44?

I've added 3 tonnes to the weight and reduced the frontal armour on the turret and the rear turret armour.

Weight: 38.7 tonnes
Armour: 150/120-90/40/30mm (turret), 120/90-40/40/30/24mm (hull), 25mm armour skirts

Mm, I suppose I can accept that, particularly if you're still using the timeline of late 1946 for introduction to service. It's still got similar specs to the Centurion V or M48 Patton on 75% of the weight, but if you're trying to emulate the T-44 and T-54/55 series, it's workable-ish. I guess I just want to verify my opinion that the Dutch T-44 is likely sharing a lot of the same weaknesses as the Russian T-44 series - namely a cramped interior and a general lack of creature comforts.

Do you mind if I ask about the five crewmen? I presume commander + gunner + loader + driver + assistant driver/radioman, correct?

Still undecided on the light tank idea. I like the T-42 as an all-round medium which is suited to European combat and also able to be a powerful tool in destroying beachheads etc. overseas.

I was principally commenting on the light tank as regards future development, although the upcoming German "Aufklärungspanzer Luchs" reconnaissance vehicle may have some benefit to the Dutch as well, particularly if more heavily-armed variants emerge.

Wednesday, July 9th 2014, 3:47pm

Brockpaine wrote,

Quoted

I guess I just want to verify my opinion that the Dutch T-44 is likely sharing a lot of the same weaknesses as the Russian T-44 series - namely a cramped interior and a general lack of creature comforts.

That is a concern. Taking a comparison with the Soviet T-44, this vehicle is modestly more wide - about 250mm, and is slightly higher - about 600mm - but I have to wonder how much extra interior volume is obtained by this. Compared with the Soviet vehicle, with its crew of four and 58 rounds of 85mm ammunition, this Netherlands T-44 will have a crew of five and 82 rounds of 90mm ammunition, plus the hull 13.2mm machinegun and its ammunition (which the Soviet vehicle lacked).

I can see that diminutive size will be a prized attribute for Dutch tankers! ;)

Saturday, July 12th 2014, 9:51am

I might ditch the bow gunner, I'm not too fond of breaking up glacis armour with gun ports anyway.
I can add a few more tons weight too.

EDIT

New Specs:

Weight: 44.3 tonnes
Engine: 650hp DAF V-12 diesel, 8-speed transmission, torsion bar suspension
Armament: 1x 90mm L/60 Cockerill (82 rounds) and co-axial 13.2mm FN-Browning in turret and 1x 13.2mm FN-Browning atop turret (2,000 rpg)

Saturday, July 12th 2014, 4:39pm

I agree about the bow gunner - I've started shying away from that item on my own tanks. I even had the Chileans specially-modify their Longstreets to remove that fifth crewman.

All in all, I think you can be pretty happy with that vehicle. I think it's pretty much on parity with the M46 Patton now, picking up a bit of armour and range in exchange for P/W ratio.

Sunday, July 13th 2014, 10:26am

Okie dokie, I'll consider this the final version of the specs.

Sunday, October 2nd 2016, 12:22pm

New stuff for 1948

Mainly trucks and jeeps with DAF starting some new vehicles using their H-Drive transmission system.

DAF YA-054
Developed by DAF as a new standard 4x4 vehicle for the Netherlands Army. The design uses the standard DAF H-Drive transmission for good cross-country performance. The first two prototypes were tested in 1948 and full production began in 1950.
Weight: 1,350 kg unladen
Length: 3.55 m
Wheelbase: 2.2 m
Width: 1.57 m
Height: 1.75 m
Engine: 60hp Minerva V-4 diesel
Crew: 1 + 3

DAF YA-126
A 1 tonne capacity 4x4 general purpose truck developed from 1948 leading to initial orders for 3,600 for the Netherlands Army in 1950. Can transport six men and their equipment and there is also an ambulance version. The design uses the standard DAF H-Drive transmission for good cross-country performance.
Weight: 3,4000 kg unladen
Length: 4.55 m
Width: 2.10 m
Height: 2.18 m
Engine: 102hp Minerva V-6 diesel
Max speed: 80 km/h
Range: 500 km
Cargo: 1,000 kg

DAF YA-318
A 3 tonne capacity 6x6 general purpose truck developed from 1948. Variants include; artillery tractor, cargo carrier, crash tender and tanker. Powered by a 102hp DAF diesel engine. Entered production in 1951. Commercial versions are also available in lorry, tanker and fire engine versions.
Weight: 5,780 kg unladen
Length: 6.13 m
Width: 2.40 m
Height: 2.65 m
Engine: 102hp Minerva V-6 diesel
Max speed: 70 km/h (laden)
Range: 500 km
Cargo: 2,000 kg

The DAF-Batavia M44 Pantserwagen production line is still open, Kongo and Ubangi-Shari will split an order for 48 of these 37mm armed 4x4 armoured cars next year.
About 260 are now in service with DEI forces.

DAF will cease production of the M45 Pantserwagen next year. The M45 is a development of the M40 6x6 armoured car with a new turret armed with a 57mm gun and thicker armour. 240 will be in Dutch service and Kongo has 32.

In 1948 Ubangi-Shari will order 75 VUC-2 personnel carriers from Belgian company Familleureux. These are licence-built versions of the British Carrier Tracked No.2 Mk I Oxford.

No new weapons though the Dutch will probably get their hands on a some prototype FALs and start sorting out what calibre they want after comparative trials.

Wednesday, September 26th 2018, 8:38pm

New stuff for 1949.

DAF LPA-49 Marine Pantserwagen
This is an amphibious version of the M44 reconnaissance armoured car equipped with inflatable canvas screens and deep wading equipment. The engine drives two small propellers when the vehicle is in the water, each has a small rudder. The Marines have ordered 60 vehicles, 16 will equip a reconnaissance company in each of the three Marine brigades. All will be built on the DAF-Batavia production line.
Dimensions: 4.65 x 2.37 x 2.39 m
Weight: 8 tons
Engine: 105hp DAF 6-cyl diesel, 4x4 wheel drive
Speed: 71 km/h (44 mph)
Operational range: 320 km (200 miles)
Armament: 1x 37mm L/34 Bofors (50 rounds) and co-axial 7.92mm FN-Browning (2,800 rounds)
Armour: 15-10mm

Development of the DAF YA-054, YA-126 and YA-138 trucks continues with prototype tests. Cockerill are still carrying out development of their Marine Tank LTA-50, with two prototypes now running. A slight design change has been a switch to twin rudders.

During 1949 the production of the DAF GD-46 Gepantserde Infanterie Drager armoured infantry carrier development of the DAF M45 chassis for 7 troops. 250 have been built since 1946.

With a reorganisation of the armoured units the 1949 Vehicle TO&E will look like this:

Armoured Unit Equipment

Mobile Corps

III Division (Utrecht) (17x 75/18 SPG, 17x 105/35 SPG, 32x M45, 48x GD-46)
IX Division (Breda) (34x 105/35 SPG, 32x M45, 48x GD-46)
I Tank Brigade (Utrecht) (51x T-44, 51x Lt-42, 16x GG-44, 16x GG-45, 16x TJ-45, 16x M40, 32x M39, 16x T-35CAA, 48x GD-46)
II Tank Brigade (Venlo) (51x T-44, 51x Lt-42, 14x GG-44, 16x GG-45, 16x TJ-45, 48x M45, 16x T-35CAA, 48x GD-46)
III Tank Brigade (Arnhem) (51x T-44, 51x Lt-42, 16x GG-45, 32x TJ-45, 16x M40, 32x M45, 16x Lt-33AA, 8x Overvalwagen AA, 48x GD-46)
IV Tank Brigade (Batavia) (51x T-44, 51x Lt-42, 16x GG-45, 32x TJ-45, 16x M40, 32x M44, 16x Lt-33AA, 8x Overvalwagen AA, 48x GD-45)
V Tank Brigade (Palembang) (42x T-41C, 9x T-41B, 51x T-41A, 16x GG-45, 32x TJ-45, 16x M40t, 32x M45, 16x Lt-33AA, 48x GD-48)

X Tank Regiment (Soerabaja) (17x T-41C, 17x T-41A, 17x T-35B, 16x TJ-45, 16x M44, 8x Overvalwagen AA, 24x GD-45)
XI Tank Regiment (Balikpapan) (17x T-41C, 34x T-41B, 16x TJ-45, 16x M44, 8x Overvalwagen AA, 24x GD-45) XII Tank Regiment (Bangui) (17x T-41C, 34x T-35B, 16x TJ-45, 16x M44, 8x AA-36, 24x GD-45)

1e Marine Brigade (Soerabaja) (16x LTA-36A) (1949 16x LPA-49)
2e Marine Brigade (Ternate) (16x LTA-36A) (1949 16x LPA-49)
3e Marine Brigade (Den Helder) (16x LTA-36A) (1949 16x LPA-49)

V Division (Arhhem) (32x M40)
VI Division (Nijmegen) (32x M40)
VII Division (Eindhoven) (16x M39, 16x M40)
VIII Division (Zwolle) (32x M45)
X Division (Batavia) (32x M44)
Nine Independent Provincial Regiments (6 in Java plus, 1 each on Bali, West Nusa Tenggara, East Nusa Tenggara) (1x Java Regiment – 16x M44, 2x Java Regiments – 32x M44, 2x Java Regiments – 16x Overvalwagen, 16x Overvalwagen AA)
XIV Division (Palembang) (32x M44)
Perakan Division (Banda Aceh) (32x M44)
Ten Independent Provincial Regiments (eight in Sumatra, 1 each in Riau Islands and Banga-Belitung) (1x Sumatra Regiments – 16x M45, 3x Sumatra Regiments – 48x Overvalwagen)
XV Division (Pontianak) (16x PA-IVM, 16x Overvalwagen)
Five Independent Provincial Regiments (Borneo) (3x Regiments – 48x Overvalwagen, 2x Regiments – 32x PA-IVM
XII Division (Sorong) (16x M40t, 16x Overvalwagen)
Three Independent Provincial Regiments (2x Regiments – 16x Overvalwagen, 16x Overvalwagen AA)
Molucca Division (Ambon 32x Overvalwagen)
Eight Independent Provincial Regiments (in Moluccas and Celebes) (2x Regiments – 32x Overvalwagen, 2x Regiments – 32x PA-IVM)
1e Cavalry Regiment (Bria) (16x M44, 24x GD-45)
2e Cavalry Regiment (Batangafo) (16x M44, 24x GD-45)
143 Inf. Regiment (Paramaribo) (16x M44)
274 Inf. Regiment (Sanaa) (16x M44)
84 Inf. Regiment (Dhahran) (16x M45)
1e Brigade (Kikwit) (12x M45, 8x GD-45)
2e Brigade (Kananga) (12x M44, 8x GD-45)
3e Brigade (Bunia) (12x M45, 8x GD-45)
4e Brigade (Aketi) (12x M44, 8x GD-45)
5e Brigade (Mbandaka) (8x M45), 8x GD-45)
Capital Guard – Three Fusilier companies (Kaminia) (8x GD-45)

Spare AFVs 1949
20x T-35C
102x T-35D
51x T-35E
34x T-41A
30x T-41D
20x GG-45
24x TJ-45
163x PA-IVM