You are not logged in.

Wednesday, May 21st 2014, 5:07am

Somebody Sell Me Something!

So when.I started in Ireland, I determined to buy or update one new weapon system each year. Last year, I bought wheeled carriers; the year previous, I bought tanks. So... propose a piece of equipment that I don't have and you think I need - and justify why you think I need it. :-)

I'll be curious to see what people propose...

Wednesday, May 21st 2014, 5:50am

Self-Propelled Artillery (75mm or 105mm), Self-Propelled AA Guns (20mm or 40mm)

That is what I would recommend, but using the existing guns in inventory. I would think that you could get away with mounting most of the current guns in use on the back of some variant of the current standard wheeled design, tho the big 4.5" and 25lber guns might be to much.

What I would attempt to hawk from the Italian inventory would be the 149/19 Mod37 Heavy Howitzer. Seeing as the gun throws a shell 369% heavier over a range 2km greater then the 25lber gun (the most modern in Irish inventory if I am reading it correctly), it would give the Irish artillery arm a gun of great power on a mobile package. Odero Terni Orlando would be able to offer ether the current towed carriage, the current SP carriage in service with the Esercito Italiano or something custom for the Irish Army. What OTO would further proposed would be a overall solution for the creation of a single Motorized Artillery Battalion (per Irish OOB) outfitted with the equipment tailored to the needs of the Mod37 drawn from other manufacturers such as Fiat, Breda, or local manufacturers.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Wednesday, May 21st 2014, 9:42am

I've a couple of ideas.

From Britain

First, to have a decent armoured car than can scout and defend itself if needs be.

Coventry Armoured Car
Development began in late 1943 by the Rootes concern. Humber designed the hull, Commer the transmission and Daimler the suspension (independent swinging axles with drive taken from two shafts from a central transmission unit) and steering. A 160hp Rolls-Royce B60 petrol engine is fitted and the armament comprises a 6pdr gun and co-axial MG. Armour is 14-8mm thick and a crew of four is carried. In 1944, 800 were ordered for the British Army to be delivered 1945-48. Maximum speed is 40mph; range 250 miles and weight is 11.5 tons.

The second is a slightly bigger purchase, a new rifle to replace the old Lee Enfield.
Britain can offer the .280 Rifle No.5 Mk III with the Enfield Lock .280 7x43 cartridge.
I know that's a calibre Ireland doesn't use, but, if they operate with British forces in the future they will have a common supply of ammunition and when the time comes (soonish) that the TADEN LMG comes out using the same ammunition you will have a replacement for the Breire (or you could re-chamber/re-barrel for the smaller round).

From Argentina

Nothing fancy, just some pistols and SMGs for sale.

Halcón M-1943 is a submachine gun chambered in both 9x19mm Parabellum for the Army and .45 ACP for Police Forces. This weapon is comparable in quality and performance with the Thompson submachine gun. The Halcón M-1943 has a fixed stock protruding from its grip section. It weighs 4.75kg, is 850mm long, the rate of fire is 700rpm with an effective range of 200m. It uses 30/36/40 round box magazines.

Ballester-Molina (.45 M38/BM): The Ballester-Molina was designed and built by the Argentine company Hispano Argentina Fábrica de Automotores SA (HAFDASA). The Ballester was designed to offer the Argentine police and military a less-expensive alternative to the Pistola Colt Modelo 1927, which was itself a licensed copy of the Colt M1911A1 (and was built under the supervison of Colt engineers). Production of the Ballester-Molina began in 1938. As the Ballester-Molina was designed to serve alongside the M1927 it bears a striking resemblance to the Colt M1911A1. The Ballester-Molina and the M1911 share an identical 7-round magazine, barrel, recoil spring, and barrel bushing. Although many other parts appear identical at first glance, they are not. Many parts are adaptable, however. The locking system is a near identical copy to the Colt M1911A1, with the swinging lock that is used to unlock the barrel from the slide. The trigger is single action, two stage, but pivots rather than slides like the 1911 trigger. The hammer is locked by the frame-mounted manual safety, and there is no grip safety. Overall quality is excellent. Weight is 1,130g unloaded and length is 127mm.

Criolla (.22 M40/HA): The Criolla is a .22LR calibre semi-automatic pistol manufactured by HAFDASA. The weapon is intended for training purposes and can deflect cartridge ejection either left or right side simply by rotating the bolt around. It has a ten round box magazine. The Criolla pistol is also sold as the Zonda C22 on the civil market

From Belgium & Netherlands
? Dunno yet but might have something for you after the bank holiday weekend! ;)

Wednesday, May 21st 2014, 12:47pm

There are two areas in which I believe the Irish Army might benefit from by procurement in 1945; tactical mobility and antitank defense.

To address the first, Germany could offer several types of vehicles but in particular would recommend its Auto-Union “MUNGA” all wheel tactical field car (and its amphibious counterpart) and the light “Trosskarren” multi-purpose vehicle. While the present TOE of the Irish Ranger Wing does not specify any motor vehicles, a small number of Trosskarren might significantly increase its tactical mobility; adoption by the MUNGA by the rest of the army would fill a gap that appears in the inventory. Local manufacture/assembly could certainly be arranged.

Yugoslavia would offer two potential means to address the second. The M40 75mm Divisional Gun is very suited for use as an antitank gun, as well as filling the role of light field gun. A more cost-effective means would be adoption of the M40 Rocket Launcher, presently in large scale production for the Royal Yugoslav Army and on offer to Chile. Besides significantly the organic antitank capacity of infantry units, the M40 Rocket Launcher can be used to attack a variety of fixed targets and provide first-rate support to infantry in attack or defense. It is man-portable, and would not require acquisition of additional, and perhaps expensive, towing vehicles and ancillary equipment.

Wednesday, May 21st 2014, 1:48pm

All noted and shall be taken under consideration...

Hood, I must admit a little reluctance to change small arms calibers just yet - my plan was to wait until 1948-1949 and evaluate the EM-2 or a .270-chambered FN FAL to re-equip the entire army. (As for the Breire, Ireland will probably use that until at least the 1980s.) But I will take twenty Rifle No.5 Mk IIIs for testing.

Wednesday, May 21st 2014, 7:31pm

If you want something a little bit crazy... Mexico can offer the Scout Anti-tank Vehicle, basically a jeep with a 47mm anti-tank gun strapped on the passenger side.
Desertfox has attached the following image:
  • SAV.gif

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 1:55am

If you want something a little bit crazy... Mexico can offer the Scout Anti-tank Vehicle, basically a jeep with a 47mm anti-tank gun strapped on the passenger side.

How well would such a lightweight vehicle as a jeep handle the recoil forces from such a weapon? I would not want to be the driver when somebody fired off a shot.
8|

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 3:11am

Well it is the lightweight version, and its not supposed to be fired on the move, but... I probably should write an article on the poor grunts who tried...

The 37mm M3 was pedestal mounted on Jeeps

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 3:32am

I doubt very much that particular vehicle (which looks more like a Bantam BRC40 to me) was little more than a local "improve" and that it never had to fire a shot in anger. While the M6 Gun Motor Carriage was standardized (on a larger chassis) it too was not very successful in its intended role.

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 6:39pm

Maybe something like Japan's High-Voltage Dynamo Vehicle "Ka-Ha"? It will deliver truly shocking messages to your enemies. :)

Sunday, June 1st 2014, 11:23pm

Let's see. To address the offers so far...

- Odero Terni Orlando 149/19 Mod37 Heavy Howitzer: Good idea to propose artillery. To date, I've pretty much preferred to stick with the 25-pounder in light of its use as a British Army weapon, but also because it's light, and therefore mobile. I'll keep this in mind, but I'll comment that I don't feel it's all that necessary to equip the Irish with more than one type of artillery piece.
- Coventry Armoured Car: The Irish Army likes the design, but intends to milk a few more years out of their currently-owned AEC armoured cars. (OOC: I'm holding out for the Ferret!)
- .280 Rifle No.5 Mk III in .280, and TADEN: Some ordered for evaluation, but as I said OOC, waiting for either a .280 FN FAL or the EM-2; and the Breire is probably going to stay in service for another thirty to forty years.
- Halcón M-1943 SMG: The Irish have had good experiences with the Beretta MAB-38, and so if more SMGs were needed, they'd more likely be repeat Italian customers.
- Ballester-Molina (.45 M38/BM): OOC, this is one of my favorite guns (I wish I had the money to buy one). Definitely of interest to the Irish, although if it was produced in 9x19 Parabellum to match with the submachine guns, then it'd be a shoo-in.
- Auto-Union “MUNGA”: Two examples requested for evaluation.
- Steyr Trosskarren: Of great interest to Ireland, in light of their experiences in Afghanistan with the League of Nations. Ireland requests two for evaluation and will alomst certainly follow with an order.
- M40 75mm Divisional Gun: Possibly worth keeping in mind as a replacement for the six-pounder.
- M40 Rocket Launcher: Ireland is very interested, and requests twenty examples for trials and experimentation.
- Scout Anti-tank Vehicle: The Irish Army only uses the 6-pounder at present (57mm) and believes that gun will be too heavy for mounting on a jeep.
- Latil M40F Triglav (Yugoslavian vehicle licensed by France): Two examples requested for evaluation.

Sunday, June 1st 2014, 11:28pm

The German manufacturers are happy to provide the requested trials vehicles, to be accompanied by technical experts from Auto Union and Steyr, to answer questions of course.

The requested trial quantity of rocket launchers and ammunition will be routed from Zastava via Vienna and Hamburg, to arrive as quickly as possible. Zastava technical representatives will be available if desired.

Monday, June 2nd 2014, 2:49pm

The customer is always right. If you want the Ballester-Molina in 9mm Parabellum, then we'll make a batch in 9mm Parabellum for Ireland. Doubtless other overseas orders might follow too.