You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, April 25th 2014, 1:45am

Spanish Civil War Blockade Runners

One of the side stories of the Spanish Civil War is that of the merchant vessels involved in running supplies to the Spanish Republicans through the blockade maintained by the Nationalist naval forces. There was no convoy system by which war materials, foodstuffs and other materials were brought from overseas destinations to Spanish ports, or exports maintained; blockade runners were the lifeline of the Spanish republic, and in “Spanish Civil War Blockade Runners” author Paul Heaton provides insights into this little-known subject.

The book is a thematic treatment of the subject, focused more on personalities involved rather than technical details of cargos delivered, yet the book does provide much useful information. While Heaton reserves most of the book to British vessels and Briton involved in the Spanish trade, he does so against a wider background in which Spanish vessels, ships flying the flags of many European nations, and even Soviet vessels played a part. Some carried arms; many carried foodstuffs and non-military supplies; others picked up outgoing cargos; all faced risks of capture or sinking, and many suffered those fates.

Aside from any ideological motivations blockade running in the Spanish Civil War was profitable if risky; in this Heaton provides an example of a very successful ship operator of the time, Jack A. Billmeir, owner of the Stanhope Steamship Company. From a tiny firm operating two small coasters Billmeir built up a fleet that would eventually number more than twenty vessels – indeed, during the course of the Spanish Civil War thirty-eight vessels would eventually fly the Stanhope house flag – though not all at the same time. Some vessels were sold after a voyage or two, at considerable profit – and Billmeir plowed the profits back into additional vessels. None of the vessels employed in the Spanish trade were new – many were built before the First World War – but Billmeir would eventually parlay his profits into modern cargo ships built in British yards just before the outbreak of the Second World War. The British Government would later draw upon Billmeir’s blockade-running experience to organize desperate single-ship voyages to resupply Malta – several of which ventures were successful.

I found the book quite enjoyable and easy to read – it is not by any means a tome. It is well illustrated with many contemporary photographs of the vessels and leading personalities.

Friday, April 25th 2014, 3:26am

Sounds like a very interesting volume - I'll see about adding it to my list. I've been interested in brushing up on the naval aspects of the Spanish Civil War for some time now.