You are not logged in.

Wednesday, August 25th 2004, 4:58pm

Naval Airforces of the world

What aircraft are people using for their navies?

There are already details on this forum for;

Italy
Atlantis
Russia
France
The Philipines

We also know some of the types that others are operating; F.33-japan, W.39-Denmark, Albatros-India.

Wednesday, August 25th 2004, 5:36pm

Well, I haven't really bothered with the planes yet so the list is pretty much as it is was back at the Madrid Airshow. I'll see if I can do something once I'm back from Holiday (as well as putting up some data on the planes).

Planes used buy the Carrier Strike Force (imported planes, modified for carrier duty):
N-1 (Fokker E.III) how obsolete can you get :-)
N-2 (Sopwith F.1 Camel)
N-3 (SPAD S.XIII)
N-4 (Fokker D. VII)
N-5 (Fokker D. VIII)
A-N-1 (Breguet Br. XIV)
Total numbers of these planes are on my computer back home.

Reconnaissance plane used aboard non-carrier Warships:
Friedrichshafen FF 49J

New carrier planes:
Mitsubishi 1MF1 fighter
Mitsubishi 2MR1 reconnaissance plane
Mitsubishi B1M attack aircraft

Reconaissance Planes used from Naval Bases:
Friedrichshafen FF 33E
Friedrichshafen FF 49C

Imperial Navy currently looking at:
Denmark's Rohrbach-Metall-Aeroplan's Ro II
Italy's Dornier 'Wal'
Italy's Savoia-Marchetti S.55 (I really like this one ^_^)

Yayoko currently looking at:
Italy's Savoia-Marchetti S.55 (to replace the plane she lost)

Wednesday, August 25th 2004, 5:45pm

Quoted

F.33-japan

Can't really remember that I am using the Beech Bonanza F-33. Could be wrong though...

Wednesday, August 25th 2004, 6:33pm

Freidrichshafen F.33

Wednesday, August 25th 2004, 6:47pm

Not F.33

If I remember correctly Japan uses a variation of the FF 49 (and for some strange reason I typed 50 in stead of 49 in the ship list). I was thinking for a long while about using the F.33 instead because I couldn't find any pictures of the FF 49 in the beginning (finding much more now). But I forgot about that one.

Wednesday, August 25th 2004, 10:16pm

Philippines update

The Marina de Filipinas has inked a license production agreement for the Ro.II, after a very impressive demonstration in mid-May. (Which will be posted in Denmark's news shortly, right Commodore? ;) )

In addition, we have ordered two S.55s from Italy, to be delivered in mid-to-late July, which will be compared to the Ro.II; it is expected that both types will be procured, but the winner will get the lion's share.

Production of the Ro.II (and the S.55, if it wins, will also be the subject of negiotiations) will be a big step up for the Manila Aeroplane Factory, which has previously produced nothing but Curtiss Jennies. ;)

In addition, 12 float-equipped Vought VE-7s are on order from the US, and will be delivered in July. No further orders of this type are anticipated; they will serve chiefly as seaplane trainers. (Ever tried to fit a Jenny with floats? ;) )

Wednesday, August 25th 2004, 10:18pm

The Danes are currently using the following......

Rohrbach Ro.II (Just entering service)

And the Gotha WD14 (The tractor version, the picture is of the WD 11 pusher version, without the torpedo capability)
(I have a pic of it, just have to get it scanned)

Thursday, August 26th 2004, 1:37am

Quoted

(Ever tried to fit a Jenny with floats? ;) )

I haven't tried it. Did you try it?

Thursday, August 26th 2004, 2:29am

"And now, the famous Jenny Floatplane. Maximum speed, minus 35 knots - assuming a 35 knot headwind!"

Thursday, August 26th 2004, 3:15am

Where?!?
*Looks left, while plane is blown away to the right*
Don't see it anywhere!!

Thursday, August 26th 2004, 9:17am

Iberia is using Italian planes. RA, remind me of that flying boat / floatplane hermaphrodite that you showed me a while ago ....

Thursday, August 26th 2004, 10:56am

If i remember correctly Iberia is using the following Italian planes; S.55 (the one with catamaran hulls) the Fiat CR.1 fighters and the Ansaldo A.300 light bomber.

Dave, I considered using the Siemens D.III as well but; its too slow, and carries a rotary engine. Rotaries don't work especially well for naval craft.

Thursday, August 26th 2004, 4:47pm

Quoted

Iberia is using Italian planes. RA, remind me of that flying boat / floatplane hermaphrodite that you showed me a while ago ....

You sure have a weird imagination. ^_^

Thursday, August 26th 2004, 9:05pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
Dave, I considered using the Siemens D.III as well but; its too slow, and carries a rotary engine. Rotaries don't work especially well for naval craft.

I use them from shore bases, so technically they are air force not navy, as are the Gotha V's, but I just posted the lot!