You are not logged in.

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 4:03pm

F-101 "Bianfú"

F-101 "Bianfú"
China Aviation Industry Corporation (CAICO)
Type: Fighter

The F-101 "Bianfú" is the result of the common development of CAICO. The design is influenced by the south african aircraft industry.

The F-101 is a low wing cantilever monoplane of all-metal construction with retractable landing gear. It is fitted with self-sealing fuel tanks and armor. With its 1850 hp 14-cylinder double row radial engine its a good maneuverable and fast aircraft. Its performance is remarkable compared to other chinese fighters; the F-101 had a level-flight top speed of 651 km/h, excellent sustained rate of climb, and outstanding ability to turn (excellent turn rate, small turn radius, and ability to turn at low speeds).

Variants:
X-PO: Protoype model

F-101A: Main production model.

F-101B: improved version (planed)

F-101N: Navy version with higher range (planed)

General characteristics:

Dimensions:
Length: 10,65 m
Height: 3.95 m
Wingspan: 11.5 m
Wing area: 18.7 m²
Empty weight: 3,610 kg
Max. takeoff weight: 5.100 kg

Engine:
Powerplant: 1x 14-cylinder double row radial engine with 1850 hp

Performance:
Maximum speed: 651 km/h at 6.600 m (21,655 ft)
Cruise speed: 480 km/h at 8,000 m (26,250 ft)
Range: 700 km
Service ceiling: 10.400 m
Rate of Climb: 17 m/s

Crew:
1 men

Armament:
Guns:
2x 12.7 mm synchronized machine guns with 475 rpm above engine
4x 20 mm Ho-103 (Type 1) with 300 rpg, synchronized in the wing roots and 140rgp free-firing outboard in mid-wing mounts

Bombload:
None

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 4:25pm

On the whole I see this as a reasonable, almost conservative design. The loaded weight seems far higher than it would need to be, likewise the empty weight. I suspect that it might be possible to economize in this area. Such savings would not appreciably add to the speed of the aircraft - which is at the upper limits of what the engine output could sustain - but would make the performance characteristics cited more sustainable.

There are a few points that are unclear.

A 20mm Ho-5 motor cannon is specified. "Motor cannon" implies a weapon lying between the cylinder heads of an inline engine, rather than the radial described. I do not think a motor cannon installation is compatible with a radial engine. If the gun in fact is in the fueslage decking and firing synchronized to fire through the propeller that should be specified, as it is for the wing root weapons.

There is something looks like an air intake or oil cooler below the engine. I would not expect such in a radial-engine fighter. What is its purpose?

The drawing also shows several apertures on the fuselage and beneath the wings. One of course is the door for the rear wheel. Are the apertures located beneath the cockpit meant to be the undercarriage doors or do they serve some other purpose? The same with what seem like doors covering apertures on the underside of the wing. I would presume that they could be the doors for the main undercarriage but then what am I to make of the apertures on the fuselage?

Nice drawing though!

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 4:48pm

Quoted

A 20mm Ho-5 motor cannon is specified. "Motor cannon" implies a weapon
lying between the cylinder heads of an inline engine, rather than the
radial described.
Sounds to me more like a canon going through the center of the radial engine...

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 4:57pm

Quoted

A 20mm Ho-5 motor cannon is specified. "Motor cannon" implies a weapon
lying between the cylinder heads of an inline engine, rather than the
radial described.
Sounds to me more like a canon going through the center of the radial engine...

Which as far as I know doesn't work... :(

Do you know of a radial engine aircraft that had a cannon mounted through the propeller boss? I don't...

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 5:03pm

I thought more above the motor, but if it's a problem i would exchange the motorcanon with 2x 7,92mm MGs (each 900 rpm).

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 5:07pm

I thought more above the motor, but if it's a problem i would exchange the motorcanon with 2x 7,92mm MGs (each 900 rpm).

Placement of a cannon in the fuselage decking above the engine would be quite acceptable; in fact, it was common practice on Russian fighters of the Lavochkin design bureau. It would merely have to be synchronized to fire through the propeller arc, and the entry so noted. In that circumstance however, the ammunition supply might be overly large, but not impossible.

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 5:11pm

I'm just saying that because to me it sounds like it would be that. Whether it works or nor is another matter. :)

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 6:21pm

On the whole I see this as a reasonable, almost conservative design.

I think I concur.

A 20mm Ho-5 motor cannon is specified. "Motor cannon" implies a weapon lying between the cylinder heads of an inline engine, rather than the radial described. I do not think a motor cannon installation is compatible with a radial engine.

It is also my understanding that this is impossible, or at least extremely difficult, due to the way a radial engine works. I don't recall ever seeing a radial engine and a motorcannon mixed together.

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 6:39pm

The plane is big enough to have a pair of cannons in the wings.

The intake under the engine could be for a turbocharger, like on the P-47.

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 6:43pm

I agree, the aircraft could carry cannon in its wings; it might depend on their structure and the placement of the undercarriage, fuel tanks and such.

And that intake could be for a turbocharger - and odd placement but not impossible; I'd merely ask the owning player for clarification rather than speculate.

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 7:28pm

A 20mm Ho-5 motor cannon is specified. "Motor cannon" implies a weapon lying between the cylinder heads of an inline engine, rather than the radial described. I do not think a motor cannon installation is compatible with a radial engine.

It is also my understanding that this is impossible, or at least extremely difficult, due to the way a radial engine works. I don't recall ever seeing a radial engine and a motorcannon mixed together.

So i will exchange the motorcannon against the MG's ... that isn't a problem even with radial engine.

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 8:34pm

I agree, the aircraft could carry cannon in its wings; it might depend on their structure and the placement of the undercarriage, fuel tanks and such.

And that intake could be for a turbocharger - and odd placement but not impossible; I'd merely ask the owning player for clarification rather than speculate.

Foxy is right, it's the ventral fairing for the turbo charger.

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 9:16pm

Thank you for clarifying the drawing. Nice design all around.

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 9:25pm

Daidalos gets all the credits for the drawing. I love his drawings !!!!