You are not logged in.

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 5:41pm

Question to the Mods

Hi,

i found a map in the Internet, shown that in OTL on Maku Island (Pescadores) was a small shipyard build by Japan. If it's okay for you i would move the S0-#1 & D0#1 in my Sim-Reports from Taipei to Maku ?!?!
So no additional shipyard has grown and it's more historical ;).

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 5:49pm

I'd be interested in seeing the map and any information you can find about its size and capabilities. I'd think, though, that Taipai would be a far better location given the density and availability of the workforce.

I've moved and supported the move of shipbuilding infrastructure in the past, but in all of the cases I recall, it was an example of the cited location simply not being suitable for shipbuilding by any means. It doesn't feel to me like this is the case here, so I'm undecided and would like more information.

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 6:01pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mako_Guard_District

In my evil plans ;) i would use it more as docking and repairing facility.
parador has attached the following image:
  • Mako-Pescadores.gif

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 4:44pm

Do you need more informations ? May be my plan or something else ? Or can i swith as mentioned above the slip and the dock ?

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 5:00pm

Well... honestly, I'm not that much in favor of it. As I said earlier, we've generally only moved infrastructure from sites which would be unrealistic - for instance, islands without populations, or cities that don't actually have access to the sea. I don't feel that's the case here. However, I'm not stuck on it. If the other mods agree, then I'm fine with it.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 5:33pm

Well... honestly, I'm not that much in favor of it. As I said earlier, we've generally only moved infrastructure from sites which would be unrealistic - for instance, islands without populations, or cities that don't actually have access to the sea. I don't feel that's the case here. However, I'm not stuck on it. If the other mods agree, then I'm fine with it.

I see it a little bit different, because ...

Quoted

The Mako Guard District (馬公警備府, Mako Keibifu?) was the major navy base for the Imperial Japanese Navy in Taiwan before and during World War II. Located in at Mako 23°35′24″N 119°34′05″E / 23.590°N 119.568°E / 23.590; 119.568Coordinates: 23°35′24″N 119°34′05″E / 23.590°N 119.568°E / 23.590; 119.568), (present-day Makung, Pescadores Islands, Republic of China), the Mako Guard District was responsible for control of the strategic Straits of Taiwan and for patrols along the Taiwan and China coastlines and in the South China Sea.

Source: wikipedia

So in my eyes it will be okay if there is a slip and a dock, because in OTL it was so. But that's MHO. But let us see what the other mods say :?: :?: :?:

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 5:56pm

I see it a little bit different, because ...

Quoted

The Mako Guard District (馬公警備府, Mako Keibifu?) was the major navy base for the Imperial Japanese Navy in Taiwan before and during World War II. Located in at Mako 23°35′24″N 119°34′05″E / 23.590°N 119.568°E / 23.590; 119.568Coordinates: 23°35′24″N 119°34′05″E / 23.590°N 119.568°E / 23.590; 119.568), (present-day Makung, Pescadores Islands, Republic of China), the Mako Guard District was responsible for control of the strategic Straits of Taiwan and for patrols along the Taiwan and China coastlines and in the South China Sea.

Source: wikipedia

So in my eyes it will be okay if there is a slip and a dock, because in OTL it was so. But that's MHO. But let us see what the other mods say :?: :?: :?:

If I may speak to this issue, I would quote the same Wikipedia article, in its further exposition:

Quoted

The Guard Districts were second tier naval bases, similar to the first tier Naval Districts, with docking, fueling and resupply facilities, but typically lacked a shipyard or training school. They tended to be established by strategic waterways or major port cities for defensive purposes. In concept, the Guard District was similar to the United States Navy Sea Frontiers concept. the Guard District maintained a small garrison force of ships and Naval Land Forces which reported directly to the Guard District commander, and hosted detachments of the numbered fleets on a temporary assignment basis.
This muddies the waters as to whether the Mako Guard District in fact had shipbuilding facilities, as a guard districts typically lacked such.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 6:17pm

If I may speak to this issue, I would quote the same Wikipedia article, in its further exposition:

Quoted

The Guard Districts were second tier naval bases, similar to the first tier Naval Districts, with docking, fueling and resupply facilities, but typically lacked a shipyard or training school. They tended to be established by strategic waterways or major port cities for defensive purposes. In concept, the Guard District was similar to the United States Navy Sea Frontiers concept. the Guard District maintained a small garrison force of ships and Naval Land Forces which reported directly to the Guard District commander, and hosted detachments of the numbered fleets on a temporary assignment basis.
This muddies the waters as to whether the Mako Guard District in fact had shipbuilding facilities, as a guard districts typically lacked such.

That's why i attached the map (1945) of Maku on my post, where you can see drydock and a shipyard. But if the size is too bad here is the link to the original drawing

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/formo…clc-6565912.jpg

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 6:23pm

That large scale map does indeed provide clarification on the matter. Thank you.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 7:04pm

To chip in a non-Mod's thoughts: While I don't really get the need for it, I don't object to the propose move. The infrastructure is relatively small, and the location is still pretty "internal" to China.

Friday, April 4th 2014, 9:15pm

I tend to agree with Rocky somewhat, but its such a small move (a type 0 drydock and Type 0 slip?) to not really be a huge issue either way.

Friday, April 4th 2014, 9:19pm

That was also my thought, but i have to ask the mods if i could move or not ;)

By the way, i have no problems to be caretaker of a country if it's wished, but the netherlands are too big for me :D may be there is another one which one of the present want to give a way ;)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, April 4th 2014, 11:23pm

It's got my GO...

Saturday, April 5th 2014, 2:43pm

I guess you can go ahead and move the facilities, then.

By the way, i have no problems to be caretaker of a country if it's wished, but the netherlands are too big for me :D may be there is another one which one of the present want to give a way ;)

Once the war in Korea is done, I think we'd definitely be willing to entertain that offer.