You are not logged in.

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 5:03pm

It means Germany's at war. Sorry, dude.
Sorry; Homey don't play that game.

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 5:37pm

Hum - I'll look into it when I get home tonight. It might require a bit more work to make it private than it first appeared. This new forum software isn't like the old one, and I still have to hunt around for some things...

In the meantime - those of you who should be able to use the board, please note that it isn't yet private and restricted. Those of you who have access and shouldn't, please refrain from posting or (if you can control your curiosity) viewing the folder.

Sorry, will try to get this worked out when I'm not on my lunch break.

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 6:19pm

Brock, is not 'private' at all. Anyone who is not signed in or a member can view those posts too. I've just done so without logging in (not to 'look' but to test if anyone could read it).

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 7:08pm

Okay - I kinda figured that on the comments so far. Like I said, will fix it tonight.

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 10:48pm

Okay, think it's fixed now.

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 11:21pm

Okay, think it's fixed now.

Looks good from where I am sitting.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 11:22pm

Okay, excellent.

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 11:39pm

Same. The folder doesn't even show up which is what I presume it is supposed to do.

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 11:50pm

It is indeed.

Friday, May 9th 2014, 7:24pm

All: Daidalos has announced his resignation in a PM to me. Unless Walter and Parador return anytime soon and come to a mutually-agreed-on conclusion (neither has responded to my PMs or emails) then I advance the following timeline.

Quoted

November 1943
* Chosen troops consolidate their defenses in anticipation of renewed Chinese attacks
* Japanese Volunteer Brigade is employed as "fire brigade" to deal with local Chinese attacks
* Chosen struggles to rebuild divisions - more 'realistic' officers moved up in leadership positions
* Japan supplies new equipment to Chosen formations
* Japan deeply hints at strategic bombing campaign

December 1943
* Chinese winter offensive opens with massive assault on Fengcheng
* Chosen forces crumple - Japanese Volunteer Brigade manages to prevent a rout
* Strategic withdrawal of Chosen/Japanese forces south of the Yalu
* Japan launches strategic bombing campaign against targets in North China and Manchuria
* Significant Japanese air intervention to slow Chinese advance

January 1944
* Submarine campaign in the North China Sea begins to heat up; many Chinese vessels lost while Chosen submarine losses mount
* Chinese winter offensive stalls due to increased air attacks and bad weather
* Jong Un replaces senior field commanders; promotes 'realistic' officers due to lack of options
* League of Nations offers mediation - initially rejected
* Japanese strategic bombing campaign intensifies with significant losses

February 1944
* Chinese attack on Jeju-do - Airborne force gains initial lodgment, reinforcing amphibious forces are beaten off by counterattack by Chosen fleet units with IJN support
* Japan issues ultimatum to China; China refuses; Japan "officially" intervenes, sending lead elements of 150,000 expeditionary force
* Jong Un orders renewed offensive by Chosen and Japanese forces. Newly appointed field commanders baulk; coup d'etat in Pyongyang, Jong Un overthrown.

March 1944
* Chinese spring offensive launched; met by determined resistance by reinvigorated Chosen Army and Japanese Expeditionary Force.
* Japanese bombing campaign expanding to targets in North China.
* League of Nations renews offer for mediation
* Chosen accepts LoN offer

April 1944
* Japanese bombing campaign causes significant damage in cities of North China
* Japanese extend bombing campaign to targets in Formosa
* Failure of Chinese spring offensive convinces China to accept LoN offer of mediation
* Rebellions among minorities in western China (Tibet, Kansu etc)

May 1944
* Armistice talks begin - fighting continues
* Rebellions in the west drain reserves from Chinese forces operating in Chosen and Manchuria

June 1944
* Armistice reached. Chinese forces withdraw to prewar borders pending negotiation of settlement.
* Japan maintains JEF on Chosen territory pending negotiation of settlement

Friday, May 9th 2014, 7:31pm

I see no issue with this.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Saturday, May 10th 2014, 2:38am

In view of the resignation of Daidalos, and the dearth of active posting on the part of the other participants, this seems to be the most reasonable compromise to bring this conflict to a close with minimal disruption. It provides an opportunity for the other participants to work out the details of any settlement if they so choose.

Saturday, May 10th 2014, 10:43am

Seems fine to me.

Saturday, May 10th 2014, 7:59pm

I take issue with the notion of rebellions in China: It is not necessary to resolve the war, and is strictly an internal matter for Parador to have or not have.

The international stuff is fine.

Saturday, May 10th 2014, 8:18pm

That's fine. I feel it is necessary to get China in a mood to negotiate. If Parador and Walter return, then they can settle a timeline between them.

Saturday, May 31st 2014, 1:15am

While I was looking at the idea of coming up with something of a list of (some of) the participating planes in the war and their performances, I noticed this...

Quoted

March 1944
But aren't the Japanese already attacking the targets in North China? Because in December 1943, it says...

Quoted

* Japan launches strategic bombing campaign against targets in North China and Manchuria
Considering that Formosa is on the attack list as of April 1944, I assume you had 'South China' in mind when you typed that. Or is it perhaps something else?

Tuesday, June 3rd 2014, 4:10am

While I was looking at the idea of coming up with something of a list of (some of) the participating planes in the war and their performances, I noticed this...

Quoted

March 1944
But aren't the Japanese already attacking the targets in North China? Because in December 1943, it says...

Quoted

Considering that Formosa is on the attack list as of April 1944, I assume you had 'South China' in mind when you typed that. Or is it perhaps something else?

I think I was using some of the terminology from my first draft, which followed the longer 1943-1947 timeline Daidalos had laid out. Since I knew you were interested in the strategic bombing aspect, I'd started to outline a series of bombing campaigns on that basis. In the end, I just scrapped it all and left it more nebulous...

Quoted

Japanese Strategic Bombing Campaigns:
- First North Central Campaign. Targets Shanghai, Shandong, Nanjing, Qingdao, and Ningbo. Begins March 1944 and continues to June 1944. Chinese air defenses manage to deal with many of the raids, and in mid-June 1944, Japan ends the campaign to re-evaluate following severe losses in a raid on Nanjing.
- First North Interior Campaign: Targets Beijing. Begins May 1944 and ends June 1944. Runs concurrently with the First North Central Campaign. Ends alongside the First North Central Campaign due to severe losses.
- First Northern Campaign: Target: Shenyang and Harbin. Begins June 1944 and ends August 1944. Japan makes repeated attacks in northern China against railheads, airfields, and army concentrations; the campaign uses units previously engaged in the North Central and North Interior bombing campaigns.
- Second North Central Campaign: Targets Shanghai, Shandong, Nanjing, Qingdao, and Ningbo. Begins August 1944 and ends September. Japan re-starts the bombing campaign, making particular efforts to attack airfields and air-defense centers such as Chinese radar stations. Japanese radar-jamming efforts temporarily neutralize the Chinese radar equipment. All major Chinese airfields suffer heavy damage, and the Chinese air-warning network in the region collapses. Japanese losses are initially heavy, but taper off by September. Chinese airmen nevertheless manage to preserve the majority of their fighters and interceptors.
- Second North Interior Campaign: Targets Beijing. Begins September 1944 and ends in October. Objective is a saturation-raiding strategy on Shanghai. This campaign is a mistake since it replaces the North Central Campaign, allowing Chinese forces there to recover.
- Second Northern Campaign: Targets Shenyang and Harbin. The collapse of Chosen's army in October causes the Japanese to terminate the Second North Interior Campaign and focus exclusively on strategic bombing to attack munitions dumps, transport hubs, and army concentrations behind Chinese lines. Despite interference from the weather, this campaign is brutally effective and prevents the complete destruction of the Chosenian Army and Japanese Expeditionary Forces in October and November. The effectiveness of this campaign, once demonstrated to the Japanese, results in this campaign being maintained with various quantities of forces throughout the rest of the war.
- Southern Campaign: Targets Wenzhou, Fuzhou, and Quanzhou.
- Naval Taiwan Campaign: Taipei, Those Little Island Bases.
- Naval Southern Campaign: Targets Zhanjiang, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou.
- Third North Central Campaign: Targets: Shanghai, Shandong, Nanjing, Qingdao, and Ningbo.

Tuesday, June 3rd 2014, 6:51pm

Interesting bit even if in the end you decided to scrap it.

With Japan's bombing campaign, I expect the Navy Air Service and Army Air Service to seriously pound Chinese targets although the bomber forces will take a beating as well from Chinese AA guns and interceptors. While Japan has some capable new bombers, it also has a lot of bait older ones. I expect that especially with the older ones there will be quite a few not coming back.

Regarding this bit...

Quoted

April 1944
* Japanese bombing campaign causes significant damage in cities of North China
You guys expect the Japanese to be a bit more 'dark' by trying to damage Chinese morale or is it more a case of collateral damage? Not 100% which approach I should use with that...