You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, January 31st 2014, 6:01pm

Chinese Air Force Weapons

The bombs of the Imperial Chinese Air Force were coded with a color system that made ​​it possible to determine the type of a bomb at first glance. These ribbons were placed at predetermined locations on the light gray painted bomb body.

It is my understanding that cluster bombs did not enter most arsenals until the 1970s, although there appear to be one or two earlier examples - none of which would likely have been created yet due to the conditions in Wesworld. Why has China created a designation for a system that shouldn't come into use for another twenty years or more?

Friday, January 31st 2014, 6:25pm

While cluster-bombs were not as widely used as they are today, the technology was known in the late 30ies/early 40ies and used by most WWII major powers. The soviets for example used the RRAB-3 and the PTAB, german models were SD 1, SD 2 and SD 4HL, americans had the M29 cluster bomb, the 20-lb M41 and even the italians had the AR-4 (thermos bomb) which was however more of an air dropped AP-mine and not a real clusterbomb/submunition.

Friday, January 31st 2014, 6:28pm

I think the keyword here might be major powers...

Friday, January 31st 2014, 6:43pm

Right - and to the best of my knowledge, none of the major powers in Wesworld have actually developed something like this. I don't believe it's reasonable that China would debut cluster munitions before anyone else. As always, if someone's going to put together something new or ahistoric, I expect to see some sort of development process over the course of a year or more in order to justify it.

Monday, February 3rd 2014, 9:02am

Yes it's really unbelievable that the inventors of firework could have the idea to use this .....

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abwurfmunit…eg#Lufttorpedos

or in english

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bom…l_Japanese_Army

and by the way .... this is the second war in a few years, in which China is involved, so do you really believe, that chinese technicians didn't had the idea to use this ????

Monday, February 3rd 2014, 12:50pm

Fireworks = apples
Cluster bombs = oranges

Just my opinion...

... and did the inventors of firework create such bombs historically in that time period? OTL the Chinese were at war with the Japanese for 6 years at this point which is a lot compared to the more recent Wesworld conflicts involving China.

And remember that when you look at the Japanese list, Type 2 and Type 3 represent 1942 and 1943, not 1913 and 1914. (it took me a while to figure out that there should be a space behind the '2' and '3' there...)

I ran across a site with those Japanese bombs a few weeks ago but forgot to bookmark them. Will try to find it...

Monday, February 3rd 2014, 12:53pm

Here they are. Was easier to find than I thought...

Type 2, 1/3kg: http://inert-ord.net/jap02h/t2sub/index.html

Type 3, 1/2kg: http://inert-ord.net/jap02h/t3sub/index.html

Monday, February 3rd 2014, 2:31pm

I have misgivings with the manner in which these cluster munitions have been introduced by China - not that I think China incapable of doing so, but that they were announced as a fait accompli with no backstory or development history. OTL China was incapable of developing such a weapon; I could accept Wesworld China developing or acquiring such munitions with some explanation.

To the best of my memory, no other nation has deployed such munitions, and none have been deployed against China - so the option of reverse engineering a captured device is not an option. Conceptually the device is easy, making is safe enough to be deployed by the user is another matter. I would be far more happy with this development had there been such backstory and not just cloning of something found in an OTL nation's ordnance inventory.

Monday, February 3rd 2014, 2:40pm

Japan probably has the Type 2 and 3, but not at the introduction point yet so any acquiring would not come from Japan.

Having though about it, I will correct what I mentioned earlier regarding fireworks & cluster bombs and apples & oranges cause I realized that it is not comparing apples with oranges...

Fireworks = apples

Cluster bombs = steak

Monday, February 3rd 2014, 3:50pm

I have misgivings with the manner in which these cluster munitions have been introduced by China - not that I think China incapable of doing so, but that they were announced as a fait accompli with no backstory or development history. OTL China was incapable of developing such a weapon; I could accept Wesworld China developing or acquiring such munitions with some explanation.

To the best of my memory, no other nation has deployed such munitions, and none have been deployed against China - so the option of reverse engineering a captured device is not an option. Conceptually the device is easy, making is safe enough to be deployed by the user is another matter. I would be far more happy with this development had there been such backstory and not just cloning of something found in an OTL nation's ordnance inventory.
Seconded.

Tuesday, February 4th 2014, 4:58pm

If we talk about the "Fritz X" or the Hs-293 you would be absolutely right !!! But we talk here about something like this ....

so in my eyes there is no need for a "page-long" background story to develop a box with putting some bombs in it. No electronic device, no control (wire or radio) inside ...

Tuesday, February 4th 2014, 5:21pm

I fear that we are going to have to agree to disagree on this point, unless the moderators choose to make a ruling - which is something I do not call for.