You are not logged in.

Saturday, January 4th 2014, 3:42am

How should I sim this?

The ship's got five turrets.

........... B sss X
.......A ddddddddd Y
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Z
..hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

At the moment, I'm simming it with three raised turrets, majority aft, with the freeboard break aft of them all. I think this is overly conservative and am wondering if I could get away with two raised turrets, majority aft. Whatcha think?

Saturday, January 4th 2014, 4:51am

Should Y be able to fire over Z? if yes, then I think you have it right. if no, then two rased is correct. All IMO of course.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Saturday, January 4th 2014, 4:53am

Yes, X fires over Y and Y fires over Z.

Saturday, January 4th 2014, 10:27am

I think you've got it right. I would have the forecastle break ahead of Z though (though that might do funny things with the space calculations in SS?).

Saturday, January 4th 2014, 5:51pm

If you go for "ends (aft > fore)", it should indeed be 3 superfiring turrets.

Alternatively, if you have the weapon slots available, you can go for a 2 superfiring option like this:
a) Set the midbreak where it should be, between turrets Y and Z.
b) Sim 4 turrets using the 1st weapon slot and select "grouped forward" with two of them superfiring.
c) Sim 1 turret using the 2nd weapon slot and select "grouped aft".

Quoted

I would have the forecastle break ahead of Z though
Uhm... I don't think you want to use the forecastle break... Don't you mean midbreak?

Sunday, January 5th 2014, 11:14am

Uhm, yeah that's what I meant the midbreak but it would be the forecastle deck anyway rather than the upper deck, hence my confused response (though I've seen a Gravina design with a 40% forecastle and 50% midbreak!