You are not logged in.

Friday, December 20th 2013, 7:40am

Questions regarding sim.

Hello. I have been interested in this sim for a while, but have only recently been able to design ships in SS that float. :thumbup:

I had a few questions regarding the sim that may determine my fate here. so try not to provide answers that condemn me to eternal damnation. ^^

on a more serious note...

1. How often is the game updated. not just when the turns begin and end, but how often should a player be available for treaties and negotiations? once a day? twice?

2. What nations are still available? though the map is very useful, most of the encyclopedias are embarrassingly, uselessly, out of date. kind alike finding the political state of the cold war from a map of 1910. (btw what ever happened to good ol' Austria-Hungary? :D )

3. What are the names of the most relevant treaties? That way I know what to look up.

4. Can someone provide me with a link to the subsim program I keep reading about? googling it produces a very popular community site, along with 1000 posts in said community sites forum.

Friday, December 20th 2013, 2:08pm

RE: Questions regarding sim.

Hello. I have been interested in this sim for a while, but have only recently been able to design ships in SS that float. :thumbup:

Welcome! Glad to see a new face. :)

1. How often is the game updated. not just when the turns begin and end, but how often should a player be available for treaties and negotiations? once a day? twice?

Our most active players are on several times a day, but I think the average for most players is an appearance three or four times a week, usually in the evening for their time zone.

2. What nations are still available? though the map is very useful, most of the encyclopedias are embarrassingly, uselessly, out of date. kind alike finding the political state of the cold war from a map of 1910. (btw what ever happened to good ol' Austria-Hungary? :D )

Austria-Hungary got broken up into Hungary (independent NPC), Yugoslavia, Italy, and Austria (which was incorporated by Germany in the mid-1930s).

Our most definite potential player state at the moment is Brazil, with seven factories - a decent number for building a tidy cruiser+destroyer fleet. There's also Siam/Thailand.

4. Can someone provide me with a link to the subsim program I keep reading about? googling it produces a very popular community site, along with 1000 posts in said community sites forum.

I can do that, but only from my home computer. I'll try to remember to do that tonight.

Friday, December 20th 2013, 3:48pm

As Brock said, welcome! I'm snip, the current Italian player. Feel free to post some of your designs here , we do love to comment on them. Also feel free to swing by our IRC channel, details can be found here.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Friday, December 20th 2013, 5:19pm

Welcome aboard.
Feel free to share what ships you've simmed and we'll be happy to offer advice and tips.

Friday, December 20th 2013, 7:07pm

I managed to create an accurate representation of an Elco PT boat. I know that's a planning hull but it worked quite well when the block coefficient was set at 2%. I sent the save to Ian a year ago and actually got a reply!

I have been toying around with a number of pre-dreadnought and semi-dreadnought cruisers/destroyers.

I have also been working on corrections to the springsharp estimates for low displacement vessels. kind of a patch but I tried simming the para class torpedo boat destroyer, which historically reached 28.7 kn with an 8000 shp triple expansion, and the program says the ship can't support it's own weight. I assume it's because, at 560t displacement, it's a semi-planning hull, and the program fails to sim small engines correctly (to much weight to power) it did manage a good sim when I entered the cruise speed as the max speed.

admittedly I was really hoping to get Brazil. Excellent position, Excellent economic potential, and a perfect set of complex regional conflicts to occupy a fleet. also it was the first 3rd rate power to get a dreadnought fleet, and the first to have a dreadnought mutiny.... okay so there's room for improvement.

anyway I have no Idea where I would sign up. It does not appear that you guys have a complete off topic board, so I guess I will just apply here. Is blood okay? :thumbsup:

Edit: I was wondering who, if anyone, is managing Chile and Argentina. if no one than which mod would I talk to regarding them.

Saturday, December 21st 2013, 3:09am

admittedly I was really hoping to get Brazil. Excellent position, Excellent economic potential, and a perfect set of complex regional conflicts to occupy a fleet. also it was the first 3rd rate power to get a dreadnought fleet, and the first to have a dreadnought mutiny.... okay so there's room for improvement.

anyway I have no Idea where I would sign up. It does not appear that you guys have a complete off topic board, so I guess I will just apply here. Is blood okay? :thumbsup:

In general, we invite prospective players to spend a bit of time on the boards commenting, posting designs, and generally introducing themselves before jumping straight into the game as a player. That way we know the prospective players are going to stick it out for the long term.

Edit: I was wondering who, if anyone, is managing Chile and Argentina. if no one than which mod would I talk to regarding them.

I play Chile, and Hood plays Argentina.

Saturday, December 21st 2013, 10:38am

I came across a site the other day that gave a brief description of Wesworld and other naval sites. It said we appoint new members infrequently after an audition, which I think is a nice way to describe it. The ship's you've posted are the audition and we like to get a sense of your ideas and background knowledge. Brazil has had the misfortune to have been run by at least four players over the years, many of whom had pet projects and unfinished plans when they left. Brock and me have attempted to keep it loafing along nicely but a new committed player would be good.

My advice is that you read all the gentlemen's agreements on design, the rules, the infrastructure rules, the Brazilian encyclopaedia entries, the Treaties page and then start searching out the old Brazilian news threads and other posts by previous players to get a sense of the history and politics. It's a big job to get things running at first but its worth doing the start-up well to avoid problems later.

Saturday, December 21st 2013, 7:01pm

Than you. I have been collecting Data on Brazil. I think an audition is a great way to approach this. Thankfully the last person to manage Brazil did a good job. I think I have managed to generate a pretty accurate picture of the Brazilian navy.

Unfortunately Brazil decided to retain a number of obsolete ships. There's the R class Battleship, Battlecruiser, Heavy Cruiser with obscenely large cannon that was built in 1913. also the 6 Matto Grosso Class Destroyers, Corvettes designed in 1907 with an engine replacement from 1917.

Then there's the infrastructure problem. I'm not as concerned about the slips and docks as I am about the small number of factories. the infrastructure board said new players get 10 but I guess because Brazil was an NPC it only got 7. this isn't too bad except that it's most probable enemy is SAE with 25 factories.

I decided that a design study on carrier conversion of the R class was warranted as the Brazilian navy only has medium carriers, and an overpowered opponent. In hind sight it would probably be better to scrap her.

Saturday, December 21st 2013, 7:43pm

Unfortunately Brazil decided to retain a number of obsolete ships. There's the R class Battleship, Battlecruiser, Heavy Cruiser with obscenely large cannon that was built in 1913. also the 6 Matto Grosso Class Destroyers, Corvettes designed in 1907 with an engine replacement from 1917.

At the moment, the Matto Grosso class destroyers are scheduled for scrapping in 1944; I just haven't put up the three reports which show that. When Hood and I started caretaking through 1943, the four old light cruisers got scrapped first partly because the docks were available at that time (Brazil is very weak on this count) and partly because a larger tonnage would be recycled into the system sooner. A much less significant reason is that their replacements, the Roirama-class river monitors, won't be laid down until Q1/1944, which we haven't posted yet.

Brazil was in discussions with Bulgaria to purchase a second "R" class - this one the upgraded Royal Oak. A price hasn't been set just yet.

Saturday, December 21st 2013, 8:12pm

Also: I put SubSim up on my Dropbox.

Saturday, December 21st 2013, 10:07pm

Welcome aboard Alias.

If you play Brasil, we are going to be neighbours.
I play Peru.

Jef ;)