You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, May 14th 2003, 4:37pm

Saved thread - Carrier air wings

The Rock Doctor
Spammer wanna be
(4/25/03 4:44:29 pm)
Carrier air wings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few of us are operating various experimental aircraft carriers, and others are starting down that road. Once those ships are completed, what kind of air group are you putting on them?

India's carrier, Bhima (probably to re-named later, mind you) is envisioned as an air-defense and scouting platform. With squadrons of 12 aircraft, she'd probably operate two squadrons of fighters and one of light bomber/scout types.

After a couple years of tests, I expect there will be more consideration given to torpedo and dive bombers - perhaps when a purpose-built carrier hits the water.

J

AdmKuznetsov
Spammer wanna be
(4/25/03 6:34:06 pm)
Re:Carrier air wings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's pretty much the thinking for the Russian carrier Canopus at this time. Getting useful bomb/torpedo loads to a useful range off of a ~170m flight deck isn't easy with 1920 aircraft tech. So scouting/anti-scouting it is... for the moment.

Visit my Russian/French fantasy fleet page:
admkuznetsov.tripod.com

thesmilingassassin
Spammer wanna be
(4/27/03 8:02:27 pm)
carrier aircraft
Like Russia, Atlantis also lacks the technical resorces to produce a torpedo bomber for use on the ships in service. When the Arrogant and Fearless are in service (1923?) they will significantly improve the situation and initially will be using a mix of fighters and scouts untill bombers and torpedo bombers can come in to play.

King of Riva
Spammer wanna be
(4/28/03 3:37:57 am)
Re: carrier aircraft
Arrogant?

Do you really want to name a ship "Arrogant"?! What kind of navy is this? *shakin´ my head*

thesmilingassassin
Spammer wanna be
(4/28/03 2:29:52 pm)
huh?
whats wrong with Arrogant? Its a bold name and was used by the british for a cruiser class commisioned around 1900. Other names in the class were Vindictive, Furious and Gladiator, sounds like bold names to me.

King of Riva
Spammer wanna be
(4/29/03 3:38:34 am)
Hmmmm....
Is

arrogant man = bold man

for yoou?

I just think "arrogant" has a slightly different tone than Furious or Gladiator. Do you want to be called "arrogant"?

thesmilingassassin
Spammer wanna be
(4/29/03 1:21:34 pm)
sounds good to me
Well the attitude of Atlantis before the defeat at the hands of the athenians could be called arrogant. I don't thing Arrogant is any worse than Revenge or Vindictive.
I'm rather reluctant to use too many names used by the british so Furious is out, besides the Auzzies have the name.

King of Riva
So you want to be a spammer
(5/13/03 8:10:18 am)
Re: sounds good to me
Well, you´re right, and names are always a problem, though. So many ships were named after well known admirals and heros which is a good think, makes sense but if you´re in an alternate world it sometimes is difficult to come up with names like that. :/

You could also go for names of cities, colonies, regions, mountains etc. but in your special case with no real map at hand this seems somewhat difficult, too.

That´s why I have classes named after cats, trees, bushes, dogs, fishes, birds, weapons, rivers, lakes etc. It´s the easiest way to handle things. :)