You are not logged in.

Thursday, December 12th 2013, 7:32pm

Yugoslav News and Events, August 1944 - Sixth Tranche

Deutsche Rundschau, Berlin, Monday, 21 August 1944

Novosti News Service, Belgrade, Thursday, 24 August 1944

The Defence Ministry has confirmed that in addition to the Zastava Ordnance Works that the Igman Ordnance and Munitions Works has begun tooling for production of the newly-approved M43 Service Rifle. It is hoped that production of the new weapon will commence at both works some time in the final quarter of the year. The Uzice Ordnance and Munitions Works is expected to convert to production of the M43 early next year.

Saturday, December 14th 2013, 1:03am

Yugoslav News and Events, August 1944 - Seventh Tranche

United Press International, Belgrade, Sunday, 27 August 1944

The Ministry of Defence Building, Belgrade, Tuesday, 29 August 1944

Colonel Dragoslav Milosavljevic waited patiently as General Stefanovic, Chief of the Defence Staff, read the paper outlining the proposed distribution of motor vehicle assets accruing to the Royal Yugoslav Army in the coming months.

"I see that you propose that the American trucks be concentrated first in the mountain divisions," Stefanovic noted. "Have you considered the effect on morale if their existing motor vehicles are taken from them?"

"Yes sir," Milosavljevic replied. "If we concentrate the latest of M40 Triglav field cars in the mountain divisions, together with the American trucks, they will each have a full complement of modern motor vehicles of uniform type - a factor that should offset any dissatisfaction with turning in their present motley assemblage."

The general nodded. "Quite so; new equipment and a full complement of it - it would raise them to the highest level of readiness," Stefanovic added with a smile.

Milosavljevic went on. "By concentrating the incoming Chevrolet vehicles in independent antitank and direct support artillery battalions we achieve a similar gain in readiness. By the end of the year we will have received sufficient vehicles from America and France to fully replace their existing equipment."

"The Minister of Defence will be pleased that we are good stewards of his pocketbook," Stefanovic said with a smile. "Have the appropriate orders drawn up for my signature. I want them on my desk by Thursday."

Sunday, December 15th 2013, 8:05pm

Yugoslav News and Events, September 1944 - First Tranche

A Balkan Feuilleton, Friday, 1 September 1944

Wednesday, December 18th 2013, 9:25pm

Yugoslav News and Events, September 1944 - Second Tranche

Novosti News Service, Belgrade, Monday, 4 September 1944

The fourth and last example of Ikarus IK-4 twin-engine transports ordered by the Royal Hellenic Air Force was turned over to the Greek air attache today prior to its delivery flight to Athens.

CBS News Radio, New York, Wednesday, 6 September 1944

Wednesday, December 18th 2013, 10:37pm

OOC question: I'm unable to find a good source that points to the claim made by Mr. Jurca about the promise by the Allied powers to give the land in question to Yugoslavia. Where does this claim come from?
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Wednesday, December 18th 2013, 11:23pm

OOC question: I'm unable to find a good source that points to the claim made by Mr. Jurca about the promise by the Allied powers to give the land in question to Yugoslavia. Where does this claim come from?

Historically, the basis would be here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_London_(1915)

But since this is WW, Mr. Jurca states what comprises the Yugoslav position on the subject, and since the WW map and the proposed territorial assignments of the Treaty of Paris were not carried out, therein lies the rub.

If you are interested in other of his assertions, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenia

Wednesday, December 18th 2013, 11:46pm

That makes far more sense then what I found by focusing on the Paris Conference end of things. I recall a thread about The Great War and its WWTL, and I don't see anything about a change in the signorities of that treaty so I think it is safe to assume that the event quoted below is where the issue arises from.
8 August 1917 - Italy advances into Austro-Hungarian territory claimed under the London Pact.
With regards to the Italianization programs, being unable to find any mention of the subject by RA (tho I welcome correction if such exists) I have maintained (baring information from RA that I have not found) that such practices ended with the founding of the Republic in 1934 when both were incorporated as member provinces. That being said, without the fascits being in power I do not think that the OTL harshness of said programs would have existed, but will not contest that they did in some capacity less then that of OTL until 1934.

If you want to continue talking about this, maybe we should turn to PM's so as not to clog your news thread.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, December 19th 2013, 12:09am

If you want to continue talking about this, maybe we should turn to PM's so as not to clog your news thread.

Indeed, if you do wish to continue discussing the matter.

Thursday, December 19th 2013, 11:33pm

Yugoslav News and Events, September 1944 - Third Tranche

A Balkan Feuilleton, Friday, 8 September 1944

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 8:01pm

Yugoslav News and Events, September 1944 - Fourth Tranche

Novosti News Service, Sunday, 10 September 1944

Mostar, The Railway Marshalling Yards, Tuesday, 12 September 1944

The convoy of trucks had made its way slowly down the road that lead from the garrison of the Twenty-Second Mountain Division in the hills above Mostar to the railway station; it moved slowly not only due half-light of dawn, but the drivers - mostly from the division's heavy weapons, engineer and medical battalions - were not thrilled with their mission. They had been ordered to turn their meager allotments of motor vehicles over to the quartermaster depot.

Like most drivers, the men of the Twenty-Second took pride in their equipment - albeit a mixture of well-worn if lovingly maintained vehicles from across the world. Ford field cars jockeyed with trucks from Czechoslovakia, Switzerland and America. They drove slowly as if to say good-bye to old friends. At the temporary quartermaster depot each car and truck was logged in and tagged, and the drivers - plus the supernumeries brought along for some unknown reason - boarded a convoy of big Tatras for the expected return to camp.

However, their ride was comparatively brief. When the Tatras stopped, and the passengers disembarked, they were greeted by rows and rows of bright new shiny motor trucks - all the same sort - and then a field of Triglav field cars that seemed to go on forever. Their officers explained that they were drawing new equipment, and began to assigned drivers to vehicles.

There were no long faces among the motor transport drivers of the Twenty-Second Mountain Division. Every driver likes getting a new vehicle.

Monday, December 23rd 2013, 2:10pm

Yugoslav News and Events, September 1944 - Fifth Tranche

A Balkan Feuilleton, Friday, 15 September 1944

Tuesday, December 24th 2013, 11:58pm

Yugoslav News and Events, September 1944 - Sixth Tranche

Novosti News Service, Belgrade, Sunday, 17 September 1944

In a meeting of the board of the National Aviation Fund chairman Velimir Radojkovic reported that the organisation had raised more than six million dinars for the strengthening of the air defence of the nation. He provided a full accounting of the funds expended to date and announced that further fund-raising efforts would follow in the new year.

Novosti News Service, Karlovac, Tuesday, 19 September 1944

Thursday, December 26th 2013, 8:06pm

Yugoslav News and Events, September 1944 - Seventh Tranche

A Balkan Feuilleton, Friday, 22 September 1944

Saturday, December 28th 2013, 3:16am

Yugoslav News and Events, September 1944 - Eighth Tranche

Novosti News Service, Saturday, 23 September 1944

Novosti News Service, Monday, 25 September 1944

The Fourth Striking Group of the Royal Yugoslav Navy - comprising the destroyer leaders Beograd, Zagreb and Sarejevo, with the light destroyers Medjugorje, Mitrovica, Modrica and Mostar, departed the port of Durrës today for extended exercises in the Ionian Sea and western Aegean.

Saturday, December 28th 2013, 7:45pm

Yugoslav News and Events, September 1944 - Ninth Tranche

A Balkan Feuilleton, Friday, 29 September 1944

Friday, January 3rd 2014, 4:15am

Yugoslav News and Events, September 1944 - Tenth Tranche

Novosti News Service, Saturday, 30 September 1944

The Defence Ministry announced yesterday that orders had been placed with the Czechoslovak Skoda firm for the supply of two hundred and thirty examples of its 6VD cargo truck for use by the Royal Yugoslav Air Force and the Royal Yugoslav Navy.