You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, October 6th 2013, 11:07pm

He 115 as a catapult plane

Hi folks. would this be feasible? And if so, desirable? I like the thought of the added range. See my supercruiser with 4 of them.

Monday, October 7th 2013, 1:41am

RE: He 115 as a catapult plane

Quoted

Originally posted by LordArpad
Hi folks. would this be feasible? And if so, desirable? I like the thought of the added range. See my supercruiser with 4 of them.

I think it'd be a real trick to make it catapultable. Perhaps doable, but not on a scale that I think makes it a good idea.

In terms of wingspan and weight, here's how the He115 compares with other scout aircraft:
- OS2U: 11m wingspan, 2700kg MTO
- SC Seahawk: 12.5m wingspan, 4000kg loaded weight
- Ar196: 12.5m wingspan, 3720kg MTO
- He115: 22.3m wingspan, 10400kg loaded

Even if the He115 had folding wings, it's still going to be a major space-hog (the wings can't fold until the outside of the engines). A quick test with a drawing indicates to me that the empennage and the most likely wing-folding spot cover about 43% of the wingspan - in short, an He115 would only be able to fold up to a space about 9.6m wide by 17.3m long. A folded He115 would probably require at least twice the physical space of an Ar196.

Next is the issue of the weight. Hydraulic catapults seem to be topping out in the 15,000-20,000 pound category for this period on the larger carriers. I don't know about the gunpowder-fired catapults on cruisers, but I'd think they're probably less capable due to the smaller length. So catapulting an He115 would require a much larger, much more high-powered catapult than what was historically done during the time period.

All in all, I'd say "possible but implausible."

Monday, October 7th 2013, 6:11am

I think the inter-war German catapult ships probably could.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, October 7th 2013, 9:00am

The larage K-7/K-9 catapults can launch her, but what would it be good for?

Why the interest in a "catapultable" He115?

Monday, October 7th 2013, 12:28pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox

Yes, but that's a ship with a full-length specialized catapult - not something that can fit on a cruiser or even a battleship without major design issues.

Monday, October 7th 2013, 5:03pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox

Yes, but that's a ship with a full-length specialized catapult - not something that can fit on a cruiser or even a battleship without major design issues.

This was the ship that carried and launched the similar Ha-139 4-engine mail floatplane?

Monday, October 7th 2013, 7:23pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn

Range - and a secondary torpedo attack capability. Imagine having a few scouting the ocean and sinking the odd freighter with a torpedo.

Monday, October 7th 2013, 8:01pm

Quoted

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn

Range - and a secondary torpedo attack capability. Imagine having a few scouting the ocean and sinking the odd freighter with a torpedo.

In practice, it'd be better to have more aircraft thoroughly covering the area near the launch vessel than to have a few extremely long-ranged aircraft thinly covering a larger area.

As for secondary attack capability, that can be done by a single-engine aircraft.

Tuesday, October 8th 2013, 11:26am

I am not so sure - And the Ar-196 would have to return and arm in order to be able to launch a torp. The He-115 could do both.

Tuesday, October 8th 2013, 12:29pm

Quoted

I am not so sure - And the Ar-196 would have to return and arm in order to be able to launch a torp. The He-115 could do both.

I don't think Ar196s have torpedo launch capability. But other single-engine floatplanes like the Late-298 do. (Even then, a much larger plane.)