You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, July 15th 2013, 9:45am

OC Comments on "Operation Pekin"

Trying not to be nit picky, but the pilots observation isn't very accurate in Snip's snippit. Mainly for three reasons.

Reason #1:
The statement that the ship was too small to be Greek

Eurybiades Class CLs are nearly (at least from a pilots viewpoint) identical in size to the Srbija (430x47 vs 475x44) and have nearly identical gun layout

Reason #2:
The Srbija's were built in Greek yards, so I'd presume, even though they were built to 'Yugoslavian Plans' there would be some identifiable "Greek" features.

Reason #3:
Since you spotted them on Day 1 of their transit, I'd presume they'd still be heading south-southeast towards Greece. Therefore the 'their heading the wrong way' bit seems out of place.

As I said, not trying to be nit-picky, but I think IDing them might be a little harder than that.

Good story so far by all though!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Sachmle" (Jul 15th 2013, 9:54am)

Monday, July 15th 2013, 7:19pm

Its what I deserve for writing that shortly after midnight. :D
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Wednesday, July 17th 2013, 10:17am

I would expect the Scorpione to be equipped with radar so I don't see the weather being too much a handicap. The Yugoslav squadron would make a large and unique radar target. The sandstorms might cause more problems but I doubt the group would sail that close to the North African shore. Especially with commercial traffic in the area.

Anyhow, nice work guys.

Wednesday, July 17th 2013, 1:21pm

Commodore Lokar would not know that the Scorpione is equipped with airborne search radar; indeed, this is the first confirmation that the Italian Air Force has such capability; it is not surprising in itself, merely something heretofore not known.

Dust blown high into the atmosphere could play hob with the Scorpione's engines, and that it something Lokar is counting on. How well that plays out remains to be seen. Of course, if stormy weather kicks up, all the normal concomitants of air search in bad weather come into play.

Wednesday, July 17th 2013, 4:55pm

Well RA had planned some kind of radar and primitive MAD for it. Given other WW developments I don't think its too far a stretch given it is the most modern maritime patrol aircraft in the world. Of course IC that's probably not known, certainly the RAF does not IC advertise its maritime patrol aircraft have RDF.

Thursday, July 18th 2013, 2:58am

Good story so far gentlemen, am enjoying it.