You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 10:30pm

The Italian Representative echos the Iberian comments.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 12:44am

French representative Alexander Delmas requests permission to speak.

"I would like to remind my esteemed colleagues from Iberia and Italy of the requirements expressed in Article Seventeen of the League's own charter, which states, and I quote: 'In the event of a dispute between a Member of the League and a State which is not a Member of the League, or between States not Members of the League, the State or States, not Members of the League shall be invited to accept the obligations of membership in the League for the purposes of such dispute, upon such conditions as the Council may deem just. If such invitation is accepted, the provisions of Articles 12 to 16 inclusive shall be applied with such modifications as may be deemed necessary by the Council.' The Republic of France hereby calls on the Council to extend an immediate invitation as established under Article Seventeen to China to accept the obligations of membership in the League, for the stated purpose of investigating and verifying or disproving the claims and counter-claims currently circulating. We note with hope that China's closing statement in their letter to the League represents a willingness to take just such a positive step to prove their claims in this matter."

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 12:53am

The Yugoslav representative to the League, Ivan Ribar, listened to the argument presented by his Iberian counterpart, and smiled at the weak echo expressed by the Italian delegate.

"My Iberian counterpart has raised a very valid issue; with great hauteur the Chinese Government has withdrawn from this assembly; and any response to a plea from such a nation would undoubtedly set a precedent. But I ask this body, if we turn our backs on the conflict that now spirals out of control and threatens to expand beyond the Korean Peninsula, do we not set a far greater precedent? A precedent in which we will ignore the deaths of how many thousands because of our collective pride? A precedent that would require a nation to grovel at our feet before we deign to recognize that it has been attacked and exposed to atrocities on a scale unseen since the Great War? If we are to set any precedent it should be to act collectively to seek to end conflict, bring about peace, and restore the lives of those whose very existence is threatened."

He paused before continuing, "My Iberian counterpart has duly noted that his Government would support a committee of investigation if invited by the Government of Chosen, which is a member in good standing of this body. I call upon the Government of Chosen to make that very invitation, and if that Government chooses not to do so, then let this body draw its own conclusions as to the truth or falsehood of any of the allegations made by either party."

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 1:20am

Senor Moreno y Garcia: "If the Council wishes to act in the manner suggested by French colleague, Iberia will not object."

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 1:22am

"The French are quite right... if it was just a dispute. But we're dealing with a war here and not a dispute. A war against a League of Nations member by a nation who has turned its back to the League of Nations. Article 17 makes a clear difference between dispute and war. If it is to be solved properly, the two nations should cease fighting immediately."

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 1:29am

Representative Delmas nods to the Japanese representative: "In which case the relevant statement, as per Article 17, should be: 'If a State so invited shall refuse to accept the obligations of membership in the League for the purposes of such dispute, and shall resort to war against a Member of the League, the provisions of Article 16 shall be applicable as against the State taking such action.' Said provisions being, among others, 'Should any Member of the League resort to war in disregard of its covenants, it shall ipso facto be deemed to have committed an act of war against all other Members of the League.'" Delmas glanced over to Chosen's delegate and raised an eyebrow, curious as to whether or not the Chosenian firebrand would jump on such a line of argument.

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 2:00am

Naotake Sato makes a few notes before saying: "Unfortunately we are already well beyond the point of 'shall resort to war'. It is not something that will happen. It is something that has happened. The way I see it, it does not matter whether China accepts or turns down the invitation, Article 16 will apply in both cases because of the war. Therefore both sides need to end the war in order to solve this properly."

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 5:03pm

OOC:
I hope there won't be a "blue helmet" operation, because this would be very unreal and too modern thinking and doing. So please keep that in mind, before you make your decisions.

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 5:21pm

OOC: Nah. Blue Helmet Operations is United Nations. I was thinking more of Black Hat Operations. :D

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 5:36pm

OOC: Nah. Blue Helmet Operations is United Nations. I was thinking more of Black Hat Operations. :D
Can we make them Neon Yellow?
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 5:43pm

Technically there is precedent for a blue helmet type operation. See Lithuanian Civil War.

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 6:13pm

Technically there is precedent for a blue helmet type operation. See Lithuanian Civil War.

As well as Bolivia and Afghanistan.

That said, I have my doubts that anyone is actually willing to send troops to this particular hotspot.

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 6:15pm

At least until the conflict's timeline is up to speed with the rest of the game.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 6:18pm

Oh I agree, the OOC thoughts of the US player are more towards quarantine than a blue helmet intervention. And even if the League decided to go for intervention it has no power to enforce. Still, it was worth noting there is precedent.

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 6:18pm

At least until the conflict's timeline is up to speed with the rest of the game.

Yes; which given the fact that a few of us have already advanced into Q4/44, is probably going to be never.

We really need to get more of the players together in the right time period, rather than being strung out across nearly a year and a half.

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 6:23pm

OOC: I suspect any theoretical peacekeeping mission could last a long, long, loooooooonnnnnngggggg time in this case.

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 6:50pm

We really need to get more of the players together in the right time period, rather than being strung out across nearly a year and a half.

This
-Siegfried Sassoon

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 9:15pm

This
Then stop rushing into the future....

Friday, January 24th 2014, 3:17am

Then stop rushing into the future....

It's not the future - it's the present. Most of us were well into 1944 when this war started twelve months behind us. We've very drastically slowed down this game since then with the hope you'd catch up quickly, but it's really hard to sit around twiddling our thumbs for six months realtime while you all catch up!

Friday, January 24th 2014, 12:58pm

OOC: Totally on board with Brock here. Story's great, timing isn't.