You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 3:44am

RE: only to think ....

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Quoted

Originally posted by Daidalos
It certainly has an effect, but not one which is of concern for westerners.

When you guys catch up to the rest of us at the end of 1943, Canada will most assuredly disagree with this assertion.

Considering that many of us have already moved forward into 1944, you might find yourself alone...

I don't recall any discussion about moving on into 1944. If so, I would have objected, considering we have a major war to work around.

Then again, I've been incredibly busy the last couple months.

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 3:45am

Quoted

I don't recall any discussion about moving on into 1944. If so, I would have objected, considering we have a major war to work around.

Uh... we're totally in Q2/1944. The news reports for the war started about the time we started posting the first Q2 reports.

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 3:48am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

Uh... we're totally in Q2/1944. The news reports for the war started about the time we started posting the first Q2 reports.

Which is why many of us *are* annoyed with the situation, but one with which we have small influence.

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 3:52am

Maybe we should hold before moving on to Q3, and also maybe those writing the war could try and speed up the storyline a bit. Meet halfway on it?
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 8:24am

Quoted

Originally posted by snip
Maybe we should hold before moving on to Q3, and also maybe those writing the war could try and speed up the storyline a bit. Meet halfway on it?

I try it but real life is sometimes harder than expected.

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 5:23pm

Very well-stated letter, Rocky. Perfectly sums up the French point-of-view. Maybe I should pull down my original letter and just countersign yours... ;)

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 5:30pm

Don't do that - it'll be more fun for us to watch Chosen react to a bunch of letters that all have slightly different contents.

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 5:31pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Very well-stated letter, Rocky. Perfectly sums up the French point-of-view. Maybe I should pull down my original letter and just countersign yours... ;)

I agree; quite well put. It summarizes the German position very well; not that we are really interested in aiding either party, but we would respond if neutral shipping were to be attacked.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 8:58pm

Nice bit about submarine doctrine, Daidalos. Love it.

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 9:05pm

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 10th 2013, 9:11pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
Nice bit about submarine doctrine, Daidalos. Love it.

Indeed.

Wednesday, September 11th 2013, 5:54am

I also found the discussion of submarine doctrine interesting, particularly how the various advisors worked together to convince the Great Leader to choose a different direction.

I do not know if you have ever come across Korean Drama but they are readily available in some US television networks, with subtitles. The historical dramas are quite intriguing, and studying them can give all sorts of ideas for plot twists and scheming advisors.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, September 11th 2013, 7:15am

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan

Actually, North China is where the principal export markets for European goods lie. South China is a market, but historically has not had the per-capita disposable income compared to the north - hence the number of Chinese from the southern provinces who have emigrated over the decades. Beside, you are expecting the Europeans to give up their long-established position in the ports of North China like Shanghai? That is quite unrealistic.

There are a couple million folks of Chinese descent in the DEI, primarily on Java. Somewhere in the distant mists of the past I believe increased trade/travel post the Warlord years was posted. Of course this might also disrupt the KLM flights.

There is also Dutch trade with San HiananDo, and Japan, and the Phillipines- and I would hazard between those destinations.

Curious- given that DEI is the largest oil source in SE Asia, where do China and Chosen believe they are getting their oil?

Wednesday, September 11th 2013, 9:57am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk

Curious- given that DEI is the largest oil source in SE Asia, where do China and Chosen believe they are getting their oil?

Probably that nation in Latin America whose name begin with M.

Kaiser Kirk

Thursday, September 12th 2013, 2:25am

Oh there's lots of options, but the issue of who was sending merchants through the area came up, so it's relevant.

Russia has oil on north of Japan and of course the Caucus- but probably won't like unrestricted Submarine warfare.

The USA has plenty of oil-but probably won't like unrestricted Submarine warfare.

Those two have best access to the Sea of Japan from the North and East

Mexico has oil confiscated from American and Dutch companies- but the mexican canal is not yet built, which means either the Iberian canal- who probably won't like unrestricted Submarine warfare.

Which leaves the long way round , ultimately passing through the choke point of the straits of Malacca and making the South China Sea a prime intercept point.

Venezula / Atlantis is in the same situation as Mexico.

Persia has lots of oil...though I can't remember if the English still control it.

Iraq generates oil, of course the English are ever so fond of unrestricted submarine warfare.

In Wesworld, Royal Dutch & Shell controls the now-online Saudi fields....much like the DEI. Trivia factoid- it was once estimated the Queen owned 40% :) I figure here it's a bit less as she would have liquidated/borrowed against some to finance efforts in the Kongo.

Italy just supports itself- like many nations.

Then there's stuff like Rubber for all those gaskets modern equipment uses...and pretty much comes from a handful of countries-British Malaysia and Dutch DEI being major sources.

Etc.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Sep 12th 2013, 2:25am)

Thursday, September 12th 2013, 2:29am

The US has an oil embargo on China and Chosen right now Kirk, and the Mexican Canal is built but the Americans are not allowing any oil shipments bound for China or Chosen through.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (Sep 12th 2013, 2:29am)

Kaiser Kirk

Thursday, September 12th 2013, 4:04am

Quoted

Originally posted by TheCanadian
The US has an oil embargo on China and Chosen right now Kirk, and the Mexican Canal is built but the Americans are not allowing any oil shipments bound for China or Chosen through.

Hmph, here I thought the canal was still building. Oh well. Still definitely behind, but this weekend is the first "free" in.. 2 months ? So I may catch up a bit.

The point I was trying to get to is that one can rail against the western powers interfering and tell them to go shove it, but the western powers have control of most of the strategic resources one needs to fight a war. So ticking them off is a good way to wind up without supplies. Which led to me wondering where they believe they are getting them- oil being the obvious one.

I seem to recall some coal liquifaction being worked on up that way, but that's not as satisfactory, not as economically efficient, and extremely unlikely to supply all wartime needs.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Sep 12th 2013, 4:10am)

Thursday, September 12th 2013, 4:15am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk

Quoted

Hmph, here I thought the canal was still building. Oh well. Still definitely behind, but this weekend is the first "free" in.. 2 months ? So I may catch up a bit.

The point I was trying to get to is that one can rail against the western powers interfering and tell them to go shove it, but the western powers have control of most of the strategic resources one needs to fight a war. So ticking them off is a good way to wind up without supplies. Which led to me wondering where they believe they are getting them- oil being the obvious one.

I seem to recall some coal liquifaction being worked on up that way, but that's not as satisfactory and extremely unlikely to supply all wartime needs.

Quite so; Chosen would be quite dependent on outside raw materials to sustain a conflict - in a real world scenario. China has the resource potential (saving oil of course) but not necessarily the industrial base (the hurried acquisition of tanks from Mexico suggests that). How either nation expects to be able to sustain a lengthy conflict with high attrition rates is doubtful in my mind.

While the Philippines has a treaty of commerce and amity with Chosen, contraband of war is specifically addressed, and Philippine ports would be closed to any vessel carrying such materials to either party, or such vessels would be stopped and the cargo impounded. While the Philippines might enjoy the sight of China "taking one on the chin", International Law requires that it behave in a neutral manner.

Chosen's vitriolic outbursts and adoption of unrestricted submarine warfare makes it difficult for any pro-Chosen alignment in the Philippine Senate. Hence, it is hoped that the wise advisors of the Great Leader will be able convince him to see the wisdom in their recommendations.

Thursday, September 12th 2013, 5:34am

Well Kirk, the Canal has been open for a year, you did send naval vessels to its grand opening.....

The Americans see this as a pox on both your houses. The US isn't interested in arming either party, it sees no benefit to itself in doing so. The US feels it gets more money selling armaments to neighbouring countries that may fear the war spreading to their shores than selling direct to the combatants.

In any case, I do wonder where the oil is coming from, Mexico might supply it but do they have the freighter capacity to supply the Chinese war effort? Oil won't just float over to China after all.

If

Kaiser Kirk

Thursday, September 12th 2013, 5:47am

Quoted

Well Kirk, the Canal has been open for a year, you did send naval vessels to its grand opening.....

Ok, that part I remember....