You are not logged in.

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 11:17am

I did think the Char-11 was an oddity for your doctrine but then I thought with the Italian M43 series etc. on the horizon you might have been tempted to build some in small numbers. Also they look cool for the Bastille Day ceremonies too! 8)

The Char-14 seemed plausible given France did test the ARL Batignolles historically. The Char-14 made no sense to me unless you were fording the Rhine because Marine use seemed unlikely. The 75mm I guess mirrors the 8x8 armoured car to deal with pesky recon vehicles. Again, perhaps an overkill as most scout and armoured cars in WW don't seem to be that well armoured although Britain is starting to see the value of fitting 6pdrs.

The French engine storyline seems ok to me.

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 12:41pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
I did think the Char-11 was an oddity for your doctrine but then I thought with the Italian M43 series etc. on the horizon you might have been tempted to build some in small numbers. Also they look cool for the Bastille Day ceremonies too! 8)

I was tempted, but only just. The Triarii series only matches, rather than exceeds, the capability of my existing Montbrun tanks. Even though the Triarii is an 'unwelcome appearance' to the French armour planners on the technical side of things, they're not all that worrisome given the fact that the Montbrun has been produced in pretty significant quantities - over 2,500 tanks and variants at present.

When it comes time to impress during Bastille Day, the Army trots out their remaining Char-2C Bis. :P

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 3:45pm

Interesting admissions.

Given the long French association with Russia, it does not surprise me that they might take the opportunity to sow disinformation and disguise their true intentions. 8)

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 7:14pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood

I was tempted, but only just. The Triarii series only matches, rather than exceeds, the capability of my existing Montbrun tanks. Even though the Triarii is an 'unwelcome appearance' to the French armour planners on the technical side of things, they're not all that worrisome given the fact that the Montbrun has been produced in pretty significant quantities - over 2,500 tanks and variants at present.

When it comes time to impress during Bastille Day, the Army trots out their remaining Char-2C Bis. :P

When you refference the Triarii, are you talking about the 75mm armed varient, the 90mm armed varient, or both?
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 11:23pm

I still wonder about the political will behind those French and other European tank debelopment. France, Germany etc. Are all surounded by friends. I dont understand why the politicians in central and western Europe are willing to fund such tank developments (or those large standing armies or those large airforces).

I also dont see a practicsl need for such large and hesvily armed tanks. Without world war two the most significant driving force id not there. No need for tech boost, no need for rapid development of new designs, no proof of deficiencies in old designs or doctrine.

To me this is all way beyond everything I can accept.

The SAE on the other hand is one of few nations that have seen tank warfare during the last decade. But I still consider a Panzer IV clone a valid heavy tankin the early 40s, with a Comet clone planned as the new heavy in the mid 40s. Thats a 35 ton tank with a 75mm gun. Even if I consider the SAE offers little good tank terrain I clearly see worlds collide: European power gaming versus a more conventional approach.

Anyways, what really irritates me is the way Brock "tested" his audience. Will we see a revision of those news? There has been no correction yet.

Also, what other "green elephants" have been hidden in other news? How many test balloons were launched unnoted and what impact do they have on OOB and other official data?

I really want that clarified. IMHO such misleading use of IC info without OOC clarification, if not caught flat footed, is not covered by gentlemen behavior.

Friday, August 2nd 2013, 4:19am

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
Anyways, what really irritates me is the way Brock "tested" his audience. Will we see a revision of those news? There has been no correction yet.

I'm not going to 'correct' it because there's nothing to correct. Like a few other players here, I sometimes put together high-profile R&D programs which are intended to fail; I intend to do that using a storyline, which is obviously not revealed in the first post therein. The technical specifications as presented are not unrealistic - given the appropriate development and timeline - merely ambitious. And ambitious projects often fail, sometimes through either protracted development or through something more spectacular.

Quoted

Originally posted by snip
When you refference the Triarii, are you talking about the 75mm armed varient, the 90mm armed varient, or both?

Both. The Triarii seems to be developing in parallel with the Char-8 Montbrun - they're basically technological siblings (along with the British Cromwell, which is a pretty close match). The German tanks are a bit larger, but that's due to the differing German design philosophy. Those similarities tell me that we are exactly where we ought to be in comparison with the other tank-producing nations in Wesworld.

Friday, August 2nd 2013, 4:39am

Quoted

Both. The Triarii seems to be developing in parallel with the Char-8 Montbrun - they're basically technological siblings (along with the British Cromwell, which is a pretty close match). The German tanks are a bit larger, but that's due to the differing German design philosophy. Those similarities tell me that we are exactly where we ought to be in comparison with the other tank-producing nations in Wesworld.

Thank you for clarifying.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Friday, August 2nd 2013, 5:16am

Sure thing! Happy to help. :)

Friday, August 2nd 2013, 5:13pm

Quoted

:D Very good! You've guessed what I was up to. :D I was curious if anyone aside from Bruce was actually paying attention to my news and was willing to comment on it.

...I question the validity of using detailed tank design specifications to 'test' whether your audience of ship design and history buffs are paying attention to your news.

When I see posts full of technical details on subjects I have no expertise in, I don't sit around and research whether it's spurious or not. I shrug, and keep reading.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, August 2nd 2013, 7:03pm

Indeed. Same here. I came across this by accident. I merely browse french (or German) news, because of the mass of things posted and all the content I am not intetested in. I know other players do the same.

Friday, August 2nd 2013, 10:25pm

Well, in fairness Brock did say the Char-11 was a privately funded venture right in the original post. Which I took to mean that FCM was funding an expensive private venture for a tank that the French Army hasn't said it wants.

On the whole "plausible" "realistic" argument that's a matter of opinion so in my opinion everyone is right and your all wrong.

Edit: JMHO of course so I feel I'm right even if no one agrees therefore I am even if I am the only one who thinks that way.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (Aug 2nd 2013, 10:37pm)

Friday, August 2nd 2013, 11:39pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
...I question the validity of using detailed tank design specifications to 'test' whether your audience of ship design and history buffs are paying attention to your news.

If I hadn't posted the technical specs, we wouldn't be having this conversation... because everyone would have simply skimmed over my news post.

Saturday, August 3rd 2013, 3:05am

Saturday, August 3rd 2013, 4:11am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
-Siegfried Sassoon

Saturday, August 3rd 2013, 4:50am

March 21
The Azalai, the great Tuareg salt caravan, started today from Taoudenni, bound for Timbuktu and the river ports of French Soudan (Mali). With an estimated four thousand camels, this azalai is one of the largest spring caravans organized within the last five years. Last year, a combination of both nomadic raiders and infighting resulted in the deaths of nearly a dozen Toureg nomads. This year, the French Army has dispatched three Panhard armoured cars and several platoons of infantry to help deal with desert raiders.

March 23
Following the transfer of Tchad to Great Britain, the French Navy has received several comments from Parliamentary sources about the French cruiser Chari, which is named after the largest river in Tchad. The French Navy has determined to rename the vessel Bruix, after a noted historical admiral.

March 24
François de Grossouvre, founder of the Générale Sucrière, has acquired the exclusive rights to bottle and distribute the Coca-Cola brand in Europe, in conjunction with partners Gilbert Beaujolin and Alexandre Patty. The popular American drink will be distributed by Société parisienne de boissons gazeuses and the Glacières de Paris.

March 25
Moviemaker Charles André Boyer released today a new one and a half hour documentary, Des Deux Mers, about the construction of the Canal du Midi in the 1600s.

March 27
Alsthom-SACM announced that they have received an order for the construction of thirty-five new 1000hp diesel-electric locomotives for use on the Algerian railway system. These will be license-built versions of the ALCo RS-1 diesel-electric locomotive, albeit powered by Alsthom's own MD.12/108 diesel engine.

March 28
The Arsenal VG.640 Graoully jet fighter began taxi trials at CEV today. Henri Ziegler, the CEV's assistant director, revealed that the aircraft would begin flight testing sometime in the next few weeks.

March 30
The heavy cruisers Jean Bart and Jeanne d'Arc were completed today and handed over to the Navy for acceptance trials.