You are not logged in.

Friday, June 7th 2013, 4:18pm

Technical Question to the Board

I have noticed that since I replaced my computer and began working with the latest version of Microsoft Office Word, that when I do a cut-paste of text into the dialogue box, that quotation marks and apostrophes are dropped from the text.

Or to be more definite, when I first paste the text into the dialogue box, I can see the quotation marks and apostrophes, yet when I do a preview, they are gone, and they have been stripped from the text in the dialogue box when I return to it. This necessitates me adding the missing punctuation within the dialogue box, after which it is fine.

The fact that the punctuation does not disappear until I attempt to view a post during preview now makes me wonder if there is some sort of disconnect between Office Word and the board's software; this was never an issue when I used earlier editions of Word. Also, I think I had success with cut-and-paste before we switched to our new server. Could there be something technical that is doing this?

Thank you for any insight.

Friday, June 7th 2013, 4:40pm

If I understand it right...

Might be because Word tends to change the " and the ' you enter while typing into a different " and ' and that different " and ' is not supported by the board or by the board in its current state. One reason why I use notepad for my news articles. That way I know that that which I copy/paste will be posted the way I want it to.

Friday, June 7th 2013, 4:49pm

That does sound like what is happening. Did not have that issue with the older version of Word.

Oh well...

This is a test to determine if Notepad better supports cut and paste of dialogue using quotation marks.

I am composing this in Word, with the expectation of copying it into Notepad prior to attempting to post it to the Board. My first attempt will be to determine whether Notepad accepts the quotation marks from Word.

"Well, the first experiment, composing in Word and copy/pasting to Notepad does not work. I am not composing directly in Notepad and will see if it works any better."

It seems that composing dialogue in Notepad and then doing a copy/paste into the Board's dialogue box works whereas composing in Word does not. This is disheartening, and I do wonder if there is some easier way around the issue. But I think I can cope.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "BruceDuncan" (Jun 7th 2013, 4:58pm)

Friday, June 7th 2013, 5:07pm

Looking at a preview of a bit of text from my old Word to test out the quotes and apostrophes resulted in the same...

... and neither did the '...' work which Word changes into a single character of 3 dots and comes out as a '&' with the preview...

... word also changes the minus in to a bigger one when you type something like "X - X". In this case the bigger minus symbol also vanishes.

Friday, June 7th 2013, 5:23pm

I begin to suspect that the software supporting the board is being asked to reach beyond its capabilities in trying to cope with all the 'improvements' Microsoft has for us."

Also, since when does the Board spell-check? That's something else I've noticed with my new computer.

Friday, June 7th 2013, 5:30pm

My Word is an Office 2000 version. I assume that yours is a bit more recent so it is definitely not because of any of the more recent Microscum 'improvements'.

Board spell-check? Don't notice anything regarding that, but maybe it is because my English iz wey bee-yond perfeckd.

... Whoops!!! Just made a few errors. So much for my prefect Inglish. :D

Friday, June 7th 2013, 6:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
Also, since when does the Board spell-check? That's something else I've noticed with my new computer.

Upgraded web browers are good are they not? (Chrome user here)
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Friday, June 7th 2013, 6:37pm

Quoted

Originally posted by snip

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan

Upgraded web browers are good are they not? (Chrome user here)

I am not certain that I would agree. At times, I prefer to be old fashioned - besides, who really likes auto-correct?

Friday, June 7th 2013, 6:43pm

I know with Word I find it pretty annoying when everything is set up in English and you type stuff in Dutch. You end up with Dutch text which you have to spell-check to make sure no words were altered to English.

... and then there are all the red lines to indicate errors (probably about 99% of the text).

Saturday, June 8th 2013, 1:57pm

Spell check is a recent thing, I've noticed it on all forums/ emails etc. over the last couple of months, since the last major Windows 7 update. If find its actually quite useful.

The quotation marks issue sounds very annoying. I guess its the same as the annoying 'keep source formating', 'merge formatting', text only' choice when pasting in Word. Probably (I'm no IT genius) when your pasting into the board its doing it as 'text only'. Why that should omit the quotation marks though is odd, obviously a techno glitch. Have you tried any IT forums like Techguy? Sometimes you can find the fix you want without too much hassle.