You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, June 3rd 2013, 4:59pm

Board DNS issue

Since last night, certain browsers are unable to access the site; I'm back to using IE to access it at the moment, Firefox is not working without using some redirecting tricks. Jason mentioned he was getting a DNS error message with Chrome.

Monday, June 3rd 2013, 5:08pm

I just received this email from Testpilot a few minutes ago:

Quoted

Hi Brock,

we unfortunatly had to switch servers yesterday. The connection problems should be gone in 96 hours or faster, depending on your isp's dns servers.

If they update fast (like yours) then you will not even notice any problems... but if the dns doesn't updates his cache fairly often then you are getting the old ip instead of the new ip and the board on the old server is offline :-)

the offline message, on the old server, should tell you about the server change... but maybe i was a little to cryptic ... sorry!

Monday, June 3rd 2013, 8:44pm

I am using a different computer and managed to get in through a back door - Googled the Register page, was denied entry, logged out and managed to log back in.

I hope my ISP's DNS updates real soon. This is silly.

Tuesday, June 4th 2013, 9:11am

I had also access-problems ....... via google and some other tricks it now works.

I will test it again at home with my "standard link".

Tuesday, June 4th 2013, 6:06pm

Day Two

Still not able to get in through a front door, back door is still open.

Was there actually any change in the URL?

?(

Tuesday, June 4th 2013, 6:20pm

What the.... now I'm having posts disappear on me!

Tuesday, June 4th 2013, 6:22pm

In response to Bruce:

No, there would not have been. Domain Name Service (DNS for short) is the way that the website URLs we type in are related to the IP addresses of there servers. So while the URL is still the same, the IP address it relates to has been changed and this would be reflected in a up-to-date DSN directory. However, DNS settings are sometimes catched to allow for faster lookup of commonly visited sites. The issue at hand here is at the ISP level and there DNS catch. I can get on just fine from work, where we have a bit more control over DNS stuff, but its still clogged up at home. Clearing your local DNS catch does nothing to help (tried it last night on my PC). Just have to ether wait it out or contact your ISP and get them to work with there DNS servers to clear the block.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "snip" (Jun 4th 2013, 6:22pm)

Tuesday, June 4th 2013, 6:41pm

Thanks!

Just grasping at straws at this point.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, June 4th 2013, 7:15pm

First of all sorry this change came at a surprise. In fact, it surprised me too.

When I met with Testpilot on Saturday we discussed the change. Due to some problems with the old host we had to switch. Testpilot took care of that but we did not know how long it would take until the WesWorld's new home is available. As it turned out, it already was on Sunday so Testpilot moved us in the night to Monday.

The move should not have caused much trouble. DNS servers are usually updated every other day the latest. So for most of us it should not have been a problem. I am sure, some did not even notice. For me access was not a problem for example. Last time I was online was about 11pm Sunday and on Monday evening when I connected next time I already had access to the new IP.

If problems on your side continue to exist please let Testpliot know. Not sure if he can help, though.

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 12:22am

Sorry that it took a while but I had to come up with some sort of redirection without any direct connects to the jk-clan.de domain name :-/

But I think it's working now and you should now be able to access wesworld over two completely different domains

wesworld.jk-clan.de (currently with dns problems)
christian-geissler.com/wesworld_tmp (new and only temporary!)

It doesn't matter which one you use right now... both domains will get you to the same board with the same postings :)

I hope this helps!
Testpilot

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 12:43am

Thanks for the response, will be testing on my home computer later this evening (PDT).
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 12:52am

I'm sorry, but it seems that the christian-geissler.com/wesworld link does not work for me. Any special tricks?

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 7:55am

Arg... there was a small error in the folder name... it hast to be http://christian-geissler.com/wesworld_tmp/

I also fixed the link in my first post :)

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 8:03am

Thanks for your work, Testpilot!

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 12:52pm

Day Three

Still no progress with my ISP; their sheer size must make the propagation difficult.

Good news that Testpilot's temporary work-around now works. Thank you very much.

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 1:29pm

In the office no problem with this link:

http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?sid=

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 1:39pm

Quoted

Originally posted by parador

Now this is interesting. I've logged in via Testpilot's temporary URL, but when I click on the link above, it takes me to the regular Wesworld opening page.

I has to be something within my ISP's system.

Edit: And it says that I am logged in!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "BruceDuncan" (Jun 5th 2013, 1:40pm)

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 1:53pm

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan

Quoted

Originally posted by parador

Now this is interesting. I've logged in via Testpilot's temporary URL, but when I click on the link above, it takes me to the regular Wesworld opening page.

I has to be something within my ISP's system.

Edit: And it says that I am logged in!

Well, this is interesting - since I can get to the regular board through the link above, I saved it as a favorite.

When I restarted the browser and clicked on my new favorite, no problem getting to the main board. Could there be something embedded in a "Favorite" that would continue to cause issues? I don't know but the problem appears to be solved.

Thanks to all!

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 7:44pm

At home, i have no access with this link:

http://www.jk-clan.de/wbblite/index.php

Strange thing, the internet :D

At past, this link worked without any problems ?( ?(

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "parador" (Jun 5th 2013, 7:44pm)

Thursday, June 6th 2013, 11:07pm

Well... this link (http://jk-clan.de/wbblite/) was never intended to be used... it just had to be there to work on the old server :(

So... please forget it ever existed ;-)