You are not logged in.

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 1:14am

German News and Events - December 1943 - Sixth Tranche

Abwehr Outstation Hamburg, Thursday, 16 December 1943

Von Podewils arrived at the Abwehr station in Hamburg in mid-afternoon; thus far he had few clues on where the leak of sensitive force readiness information for units stationed in Wehrkreis X originated. His own interrogation of the prisoner Reuper had shed no light on the subject – it was obvious that Reuper had no knowledge of an other part of the network other than the late Gottlob, who was a cutout and courier, and the mysterious “Boegardt”, who had recruited Reuper and served as a contact for a time.

The Farkas Documents obtained by Lahousen were too general in nature and the number of officers, officials and senior non-commissioned officers who might have had access to the information contained therein was far too large for an immediate solution. By careful cross-checking, he might be able to narrow the field somewhat. He hoped that the Hungarians might prove able to provide further information from their source in England - they might give clues to narrow down the possible suspects.

Von Podewils knew he would have to advise the senior counter-intelligence officer for Wehrkreis X, Colonel Nikolaus von Falkenhorst of his mission; he wished he could evade the necessity. Only through von Falkenhorst could he gain access to the records needed for his investigation without making a spectacle of the matter. That said, he knew that von Falkenhorst was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and the man might not keep his mouth shut. All von Podewils could do was hope for the best.

Berliner Börsen-Courier, Friday, 17 December 1943

The Defence Ministry has confirmed that it has awarded the Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft a contract to construct two slips capable of constructing naval vessels and two floating dry docks at its existing yard at Flensburg, which will be expanded. Construction of these new facilities is expected to take the greater part of 1944.

[OOC – the German 1944 Naval Program for 1944 calls for the construction of two Type 1.0 slips and twy Type 1.0 floating drydocks at the port of Flensburg. This infrastructure will be deemed to be a part of the Flensburger firm.]

Kieler Nachrichten, Saturday, 18 December 1943

The amphibious troop transport Montecucolli and Trautmannsdorff have completed their port-conversion trials and working up and have joined the Expeditionsverband for active service. This brings to eight the number of such vessels in Kriegsmarine service and, at the present time, no additional conversions are projected.

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 11:21pm

German News and Events - December 1943 - Seventh Tranche

The Cafe Ruszwurm, Budapest, Sunday, 19 December 1943

Erich Lahousen had received a message to met his contact, Farkas, again – some new documents ‘had come to light’, and Farkas thought that Lahousen would be interested. Based upon instructions from Berlin, Lahousen had agreed with alacrity.

“I trust you found our first samples interesting,” Farkas inquired.

“Quite so,” Lahousen replied. “I would be interested in acquiring more, if you should have any?“

“There might be some,” Farkas continued, acting coy. “I suspect you might find these useful enough,” and laid an envelope to one side of the table.

“You are probably right,” Lahousen said with a nod. He too laid an envelope on the table. “My friends in Berlin were very appreciative of your first set of samples; I hope that they will be pleased with these as well.”

“I have no doubt that they will,” answered Farkas, and he deftly picked up and pocketed the envelope Lahousen had laid on the table.

“I hope so,” concluded Lahousen, as he picked up and pocketed the envelope Farkas had laid on the table. “If so, we can continue to do business.”

Frankfurter Zeitung, Monday, 20 December 1943

Bremer Nachrichten, Tuesday, 21 December 1943

The Kriegsmarine survery ship Komet returned to Bremerhaven today at the conclusion of a year-long cruise to conduct a scientific survey in the south Atlantic Ocean. Early reports suggest that several new geologic formations were identified during the course of her mapping activities, but the data derived will take many months to evaluate.

Tuesday, June 4th 2013, 8:05pm

German News and Events - December 1943 - Eighth Tranche

Abwehr Headquarters, Berlin, Wednesday, 22 December 1943

In his office Admiral Canaris evaluated the latest set of documents obtained from Merlin; again it was a mixed bag that included both reports on units of the Heer stationed in western Germany, and other information  an English precis of the state of the Persian Army, details of new English tank designs and a report by English observers at recent maneuvers in Egypt. The data pertaining to the Heer was readily confirmed, and all other indicators suggested that the other documents, all bearing the imprimatur of the British War Office were genuine.

Canaris was curious, in a professional sense, regarding the Hungarian source. He sensed that perhaps a more formal approach might gain more information, and made a note to update instructions for Lahousen in Budapest. He also made a note to have copies of the Heer-related documents provided to von Podewils in Hamburg, for perhaps they might advance his investigation.

It was also obvious that he would have to brief the Defence Minister on the situation; even if he limited himself to the counter-intelligence aspects of the affair. It was not something to which he looked forward.

Der Soldatenfreund, Thursday, 23 December 1943

Abwehr Outstation Hamburg, Friday, 24 December 1943

In the privacy of his office, Anton von Podewils shook his head. As he had feared the counter-intelligence officer of the Wehrkreis X staff, von Falkenhorst, had bridled at the suggestion that there could be a spy in his midst. He claimed it to be impossible, and when confronted with copies of the Farkas documents, claimed them to be forgeries or delusions of a madman.

He opened the envelope recently delivered by courier and examined the contents  new information from Budapest. He spent twenty minutes reviewing them thoroughly, making notes on what information had been revealed. Thereafter he spent several hours cross-checking with the filing system of Wehrkreis X, seeking to isolate where the intelligence contained in the documents could have come from.

At the end of his labours though, von Podewils at least found an answer. The only element of the staff where all the information could have come from was the Ordnance Staff; this at least cut the pool of suspects down to twenty-two individuals. Now he had some place to actually begin digging; von Podewils was certain that he would find something.

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 4:38pm

German News and Events - December 1943 - Ninth Tranche

Hamburg, Saturday, 25 December 1943

The venue of the Hamburg Christmas Market was quite this cold but clear morning; the revelers of the night before had gone home, and those celebrating the holiday were not yet out in full force. The market square had its share of vendors readying their stalls for one last flood of customers, and no heed was paid to two men sitting at the tram stop.

Hauptmann Edmund Jahnke felt strange out of uniform; yet it seemed appropriate that he should be in disguise at this moment; in some small way he could assuage the guilt he felt in betraying the trust reposed in him. He tried not to let his concerns show; he was not certain how his contact would react.

The second man on the bench was totally non-descript; no one would notice him in a crowd. Given his business, that was a good thing. Yet he was the first to speak.

"Details of production and deliveries of the new Standardpanzer are wanted," he said, choosing his phrasing carefully. "How many units are being built, how many factories are involved, what units are receiving them; known shortcomings, bottlenecks. Anything you can discover."

"Armoured vehicles are not in my department," Jahnke protested. "How am I to find out this information?"

"You have friends, and friends talk; you read reports and correspondence," said the second man. "The information is important, and it is needed immediately." He spoke in an almost insolent manner, undeterred that he was speaking to an officer.

"I will try," Jahnke said in submission.

"Very well," said the second man. "Merry Christmas," he added, and handed over a newspaper. "I am done reading it." With that he rose and walked away.

Jahnke opened the folded paper and found inside a small envelope, which he pocketed. The tram arrived, and he got on, heading to his home. There, in the privacy of his bedroom he examined the contents of the envelope, finding therein thirty 10-Reichsmark banknotes. He felt like Judas.

Rheinische Post, Sunday, 26 December 1943

The Ministry of Defence, Berlin, Monday, 27 December 1943

Admiral Wilhelm Canaris finished his briefing. "That, Herr Minister, is what we know of the situation. We presume that the leak in Wehrkreis X is in some way related to the revelations from the Krupp works, but we are not certain. It would appear that the English are behind this operation, and that is our working hypothesis, but we have not yet confirmed it."

Defence Minister Otto Gessler looked again at the file that Canaris had presented to him. "What countermeasures have you taken to this point?"

"I have directed an officer to begin discrete investigations of the staff in Wehrkreis X," Canaris replied. "And of course the spy Reuper is still being interrogated  though at this point we do not expect to gain much more from him. Our resident in Budapest has been instructed to obtain more information if at all possible, and I have directed our resident in London to make very discrete inquiries via sources at his command."

"You do not believe this should be made public?" Gessler asked.

"Absolutely not," answered Canaris.

"Neither do I," Gessler concurred, "though not, perhaps, for the same reasons as you. I find the potential English involvement disturbing; they are in theory our friends."

"In matters of Intelligence and Counter-Intelligence," Canaris noted, "there are no friends  merely different levels of competitors."

"True Herr Admiral," Gessler added. "Do what you must to pursue these spies, and keep me informed. I will advise the Chancellor of the progress to date."

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "BruceDuncan" (Jul 4th 2013, 2:39pm)

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 5:10pm

Hum. A lot more fingers pointing toward the British now...

Wednesday, June 5th 2013, 7:40pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Hum. A lot more fingers pointing toward the British now...

Now what could make you think that? :rolleyes:

Thursday, June 6th 2013, 9:49am

All the secrets of the world's militaries will be MINE! ALL MINE!! I shall be RICH, RICH!

Thursday, June 6th 2013, 8:38pm

German News and Events - December 1943 - Tenth Tranche

Hungarian Military Intelligence Headquarters, Budapest, Tuesday, 28 December 1943

Captain Lazlo Farkas knocked at the door of his chief, Colonel Sandor Homlok and waited.

"Come in," he heard through the door, and entered. "You asked to see me sir," Farkas said with a smile.

"Yes", replied Homlok, "sit down. Your suggestions regarding the German reactions to our trade samples have been proven correct."

"The Germans are not an unreasonable people," Farkas continued, taking a seat. "There was no question that they would be interested in documents suggesting that there was a spy in their midst."

"Fortunately for us, then, the papers are genuine," Homlok laughed. "Though I have no idea how Utassy came into their possession."

"I can guess Colonel, but I too would rather not know the details." Farkas knew when to ask questions and when to profess ignorance. "The important point is do we continue to feed them samples or step up to something more formal?"

"An alliance of intelligence services?" Homlok asked in surprise. "Against whom?"

Farkas smiled. "Not so much an alliance but a pooling of resources. The Germans have far larger resources  technical and financial  than we do, but are hamstrung by the memories of the Great War on one hand, and a reluctance to push their neighbors too far. And the Adenauer Government has no wish to become embarrassed by having German spies caught on foreign soil. Whereas our service..."

"Is starved for finances and unappreciated by the Government, but is willing and able to spy far more effectively than many of the great powers," Homlok concluded.

"As you say sir," Farkas concluded. "Rather than selling small packets of secrets to the Germans, perhaps they might be willing to open a line of credit for us in exchange for compete access to our discoveries?"

Homlok shook his head. "Perhaps, but I do not think that the political climate would stand it at the moment. Presuming that the next bag from London has as much useful information as the last, we will continue doing business with Lahousen."

"Very well sir," said Farkas with a tinge of regret in his voice.

Berliner Abendpost, Wednesday, 29 December 1943

The second prototype of the Arado Ar234 reconnaissance bomber suffered heavy damage today following a landing on a slick runway at the Babelsburg factory airport. The aircrafts landing gear collapsed and the aircraft slid down the runway on its belly, damaging the fuselage and the right wing. No injuries were reported but it is presumed that the aircraft will be written off; a board of inquiry into the cause of the collapse of the landing gear is anticipated. Officials at the Arado works and at the Defence Ministry declined further comment.

Friday, June 7th 2013, 4:09pm

German News and Events - December 1943 - Eleventh Tranche

Münchener Post, Thursday, 30 December 1943

The Defense Ministry has announced the Luftwaffes intention to retire its fleet of Heinkel He111 glider tugs in the New Year, and stand-down Schleppgeschwader 1 and 2. This move, coupled with the retirement of the venerable Junkers Ju52, will necessitate procurement of additional quantities of the Arado Ar232 twin-engine transport aircraft, and the formation of a fourth transportgeschwader.

Headquarters, Wehrkreis X, Hamburg, Friday, 31 December 1943

In the conviviality of the holiday season some of the conventions of normal duty were set aside, and thus it was that the officers of the district staff gathered for their traditional celebration of the forthcoming New Year. Friends chatted with friends over a small glass of schnapps or a stein of beer, sampling the table of food from time to time. They were looking forward to the New Year, when promotions would be announced, or new assignments to further their career. For most of the officers here their guard was down.

An exception was Hauptmann Edmund Jahnke, who did his best to keep his wits about him as he listened for an information his masters might reasonably want. He hated that he was trapped in a web of espionage and treason against his countrymen, but he had journeyed too far down that road to turn around; the potential shame on his familiys name impelled him to brave it out. From the corner of his eye he saw the Chief of Staff, Colonel Eberhard von Strohrer, approaching with a young officer in tow.

"Ah, Jahnke!", said von Strohrer,"I have been looking for you. We have been assigned a new officer to help prepare for next summers maneuvers. He will be working in your section. Allow me to introduce Leutnant Walter Schellenburg."

"A pleasure to meet you sir," replied Schellenburg, extending his hand.

"Likewise, "replied Jahnke somewhat guardedly. The poor showing Wehrkreis Xs units in the maneuvers of the previous autumn easily explained the caution of Berlin in increasing the size of the staff, but still, it was unsettling to have new eyes looking over his shoulder.

"Of course he will not be officially reporting until next week," von Strohrer continued, "but I wished him to meet as many of the staff as possible in more pleasant circumstances. It is so difficult for one to be the new schoolboy."

"Quite so Colonel," said Schellenburg. "I thank you."

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "BruceDuncan" (Jul 4th 2013, 2:38pm)

Saturday, June 8th 2013, 7:05pm

Deutschland Magaziine - December 1943