You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, February 19th 2013, 11:07pm

Panhard Armoured Car

[SIZE=3]Panhard Engin Blindé de Reconnaissance[/SIZE]
Crew: 4
Dimensions:
-- Length: 6.15 m (20 ft 2 in)
-- Width: 2.42 m (7 ft 11 in)
-- Height: 2.24 m (7 ft 4 in)
Weight: 13 metric tons
Armament:
-- 75mm/L60 gun in oscillating turret
-- 3 x 6.5mm MGs
Engine: Panhard 12 H6000S V-12 diesel, 200hp
Transmission: Manual
Suspension: 8x8
Protection: N/A
Power Weight Ratio: 15.4 hp / tonne
Equipment: Nice-450 rangefinder, gunner tank periscope, vertical main gun stabilization, tactical radio
Constructors: Panhard
Speed: 100 km/h (62 mph)
Range: 630 km (390 mi)

Saturday, February 23rd 2013, 4:13am

Speaking OOC -

While I am not a devotee of large armored recce vehicles, this design does not have the height problem that one encounters with OTL German eight-wheel designs. The oscillating turret helps in that regard, but I have to wonder about its fragility in combat. Dirt and mud might lodge between the sections of the turret, and sealing it for deep fording would be difficult.

This vehicle would presumably equip French covering and rapid reaction units, which would give them good firepower, adequate maneuverability and a low footprint. They strike me as more a combat vehicle than a reconnaissance vehicle.

Saturday, February 23rd 2013, 10:43am

My thoughts are this is more suited as a wheeled tank. I see its utility being mainly in North Africa, perhaps Syria too. Indochina might lack the terrain to exploit its potential and it might be too big for jungle tracks etc. Generally in European terms it seems too big, large expanses for long-range recon are lacking.

If these Panhard cars face tanks they can still only run, a quick fire-shot of 75mm might do damage if it hits as the car scoots away (if its identical to the EBR then the radio-operator serves as a rear-driver too). A well-aimed shot might be possible but this vehicle is never going to slug it out. It can destroy opposing recon vehicles it meets with ease. But in areas where the tank threat it lower (and AT-gun threat), like North Africa, this could be an economical policing tool for patroling while being impressive on parades to impress the locals.