You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Monday, July 15th 2013, 4:45pm

1 October
Entered Rosyth at 09:40 and practice ammunition was unloaded. Port watch given shore leave for this evening.

2 October
Delegation of high ranking naval and Fleet Air Arm officers arrived aboard at 10:00. Ship left Rosyth at 11:40 and proceeded to head due east into the North Sea. At 11:45 both Fairey Seafox aircraft were catapult launched and they stayed airborne for an hour. Both aircraft were then recovered, the first using normal peacetime routine and the slowing the ship to almost a standstill. The second aircraft was recovered in wartime conditions with the speed moving slightly faster. Seafox K4304 received damage to her port float. Ship then put about for home. Docked at Rosyth 15:35. Delegation stayed aboard for tea in the Admirals quarters before leaving for London. Starboard watch given shore leave this evening.

3 October
Rear Admiral Vian and his staff leave the ship for shore accommodation at 11:05. Aircraft gang busy repairing Seafox. Both air crews depart ship for seven days leave. Stoker Shorty Long starts his campaign to hold his Home Fleet Featherweight Boxing Cup. The match on the fantail saw Stoker Mcalister from HMS Euryalus knocked out in round five.

4 October
Seafox K4304 craned outboard to test the float repairs. The strut snaps and the aircraft slides her port wings and engine into the water. Captain unhappy and deck crew put on report for not being attentive while operating the crane. New batch of lockers arrive for the C.P.O.s quarters.

5 October
Both pom-pom mounts are serviced by shore maintenance crews this morning. Fleet Air Arm assessor arrives on board at 11:42. Assessed Seafox K4304 as a category C damaged airframe. 6pdr MTB gun crews given dummy gunnery practice on the starboard side after lunch. Tonights film is a Will Hay comedy.

6 October
Seafox K4304 craned onto the quayside to be taken away for repair. No word on replacement aircraft yet. Chief Petty Officer N. Cornell had recourse to restore order after card game below decks got out of hand this evening.

7 October
Captains wife came aboard and had lunch in the Officers Mess. NAFFI stores arrived today along with fresh potatoes. More complaints about the rock cakes for tea received, 'I can't chew these with my dentures in or out!' and 'I'd rather chew on the flagstaff'.

8 October
Seamans Mate Tim Harding fell off a ladder while painting and broke his left leg. Taken ashore for treatment at the local hospital. Most of the day was spent in inspecting the double keel spaces and fuel bunkers.

9 October
Admiralty messenger arrived at 14:05. Rumours rife about new sea duty. Captain announced over Tannoy that all shore leave is cancelled. More rumours. Aircrews arrive back from leave.


Friday, July 19th 2013, 2:46pm

10 October
Stores and fresh water taken on board and this afternoon the oil tanks have been filled to capacity. Weather getting cold now and the crew hope it will be a tropical assignment. Remaining Seafox has its engine tested. All ok. Documentary and training films tonight in the starboard hangar.

11 October
Left harbour at 10:04. Headed into the North Sea. At 10:40 Captain addressed the crew and confirmed our destination as Gibraltar. First time the ship has been that far south since last March. Weather good.

12 October
Sailed through the English Channel today, westerly wind force four. Full lookouts in crowded waters with heavy traffic about. Passed HMS Vivacious at 10:40. At 12:46 passed French destroyer Navarin, colours dipped in salute.

13 October
Arrived at Gibraltar at 11:07. Anchored in the anchorage beside HMS Infidel. HMS Kelly from the Clyde arrived at 12:14. Captain and First Officer left ship at 12:19 via launch to visit HQ ashore. Supplies of oranges brought aboard courtesy of HMS Kent. Officers ferried to HMS Kent for a dinner party this evening. Those who have accumulated most topside time during the voyage were given a two hour shore pass.


Saturday, August 3rd 2013, 2:40pm

14 October
Left anchorage with HMS Infidel and HMS Intruder at 07:40 to head southwest and rendezvous with carrier HMS Triumph and cruiser HMS Norfolk currently on patrol. HMS Kelly and HMS Imperial will form an opposing attacking force with destroyers HMS Hasty, Hereward and Hostile. The object is to get carrier safely into Gib without damage by evading the enemy force. High speed unit manoeuvres practised en-route beyond the shipping lanes. HMS Norfolk spotted at 12:09. Joined formation to port of HMS Triumph along with HMS Intruder. Force altered course to northwest at 13:14 and then headed south at 14:20. Anti-submarine zig-zag practised for three hours. At 17:12 enemy force spotted by HMS Triumphs Barracuda scouts, force alters course northeast then at 18:56 due north. Frequent changes during the night. Sea a little rougher but conditions below decks very warm.

[SIZE=1]HMS Kelly[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]HMS Norfolk[/SIZE]

15 October
At 04:30 HMS Infidel detached to form a scouting screen to the east. Air patrols up at first light. HMS Infidel radios contact report some thirty miles south at 05:14. Four bombers get off Triumph and force commander then decides to make a high speed dash for the Rock. HMS Intruder sent to reinforce Infidel which has now opened fire on enemy force at 05:34. Once bombers airborne from Triumph, captain manoeuvres us behind her to take up covering position on her starboard quarter. Force increases speed to 30 knots. Bombers claim two bomb hits against HMS Kelly and they return to land at Gibraltar. At 06:20 HMS Norfolk detaches to give support to Intruder and Infidel. At 07:05 the Rock is sighted and we safely bring carrier to within coverage of shore guns to claim the win! HMS Infidel is claimed sunk but HMS Herward is also claimed badly damaged and dead in the water. Ship anchors in anchorage at 08:40. HMS Kelly alongside to port and HMS Intruder to starboard. Captain and officers go for debriefing aboard HMS Triumph at 10:00. Starboard watch given two hours ashore this evening.

16 October
Day at anchor. Chief Engineer complied defect list  34 faults. Captain and most of officers at briefings and table top exercise ashore all day. Crew getting the chance to get some sunbathing in. Most of the other cruisers and destroyers depart before nightfall.

17 October
Men awoken before dawn, left harbour at 05:24 and headed due west into the Atlantic. Admiral Sir Harold Burrough (Flag Officer Gibraltar) is aboard with the judging panel to see how we perform. Our task is to simulate a raider and attempt to pass a patrol line approximately 190 miles west of Gib and some 80 miles deep. After sailing northwest for six hours at 20 knots we turned south to begin our escape run. The Captain has decided to rig a canvas dummy third funnel to perhaps fool an opposing ship long enough to slip away, we might get mistaken for a County class cruiser with any luck. The rigger and his men get to work right away. The ship is under battle conditions nearly all day with the crew on standby for action stations. During the night we passed a couple of cargo steamers but no enemy vessels spotted. Still sailing due south.

18 October
At 03:24 turned northeast and began heading towards North African coast. At 05:40 crew brought to action stations. Dummy funnel raised using aircraft crane at 06:15. At 09:43 shoreline spotted. Then turned west for forty minutes and then north before resuming northwest. A weak weather front is moving in from the south and at 11:50 we turn south to head into it before using it to screen our movements further west. Squally weather all afternoon but weather front is moving slowly and we are wasting time. Captain decides to make a daring dash for safety at nightfall. A destroyer is briefly spotted at 15:04 heading southeast around nine miles away but fails to see us. Crew come to action stations. We disappear into a squall in time. By 18:00 seas a bit rougher. Canvas funnel lowered. 18:30 speed increased to 30 knots, by 19:40 we are roughly half way through the exercise patrol area in the bottom third segment. The dummy funnel is raised at 19:51. Weather has improved as we outrun the weather front. 20:19 starshell spotted to the north off the port bow, about 12 miles. Course altered to starboard. 20:57 starshell burst nearby off the starboard beam. Hurriedly a Vice Admirals pennant is raised to bluff us as HMS Norfolk. Cruiser spotted around six miles off the starboard beam. Signal is flashed from enemy to identify ourselves. Return We are Norfolk. Pursuing contact heading northwest. After a short pause another starshell is fired and Captain then orders hard port turn and smoke, X and Y turrets fire a salvo at enemy, believed to be an I class cruiser [these vessels have RDF]. Enemy opens fire at 21:09 and turns to follow. Full speed and course change to northwest, X and Y turrets continue firing. Enemy firing with forward turret (B), we maintain a slight lead and begin moderate zig-zag to spoil aim. At 21:29 a destroyer appears off the port quarter and opens fire. In the wind our flimsy canvas funnel breaks free and flies off into the Atlantic! Secondary guns engage destroyer which breaks off. Enemy cruiser continues firing and has brought three turrets to bear. Judged to have received three hits. Captain orders torpedoes to be fired. A turn is made and the torpedoes are let loose at 21:43 but at 21:45 destroyer appears at high speed off the port bow at three miles distance. Torpedo evasive action taken and B turret engages destroyer. These turns though allow enemy cruiser to close and now under heavy bombardment from all her guns. Half of our armament judged knocked out and speed cut by six knots. We fight it out but another cruiser, ironically HMS Norfolk appears off the bow at 22:01 with another destroyer and the game is up. We surrender. Anchor at Gib at 00:05

19 October
Exercise debriefing held aboard ship between 10:00 and 12:30. Captain pressed the need for RDF sets aboard the L class cruisers. Gunnery crews given two hours ashore this afternoon and engineering crews this evening.


Saturday, August 3rd 2013, 5:41pm

An exciting set of wargames.

Likely the French coast artillery gunners in Tangier watched a bit of the first through their big scopes. "Jolly good show, eh wot?"


Wednesday, August 14th 2013, 4:22pm

20 October
Leave harbour at 10:05. Await HMS Kelly to join us and then we set course for Blighty. Crew morale dampened by exercise failure but we gave the Med fleet crews a run for their money. Chipping and painting and deck scrubbing begin in earnest. Gun turrets fully cleaned.

21 October
Enter the Channel at 03:40. HMS Kelly departs our company at 04:50 for Portsmouth. More cleaning. Fog at 08:30 to 10:50 so speed reduced to ten knots and extra lookouts forward.

22 October
Conditions in the North Sea rough. Water ingress forward due to loose deck hatch. Some electrical damage caused and lights fuse in four compartments. Arrive at Rosyth and dock at normal berth at 15:15.

23 October
Electricians busy fixing various faults around the ship. Shore leave for starboard watch for six hours today. Three men hospitalised ashore with food poisoning.

24 October
Boat crews given deck handling and rowing practice. Fairey Seafox craned ashore. Port watch given six hours shore leave. Fresh fruit supplies arrived 15:00.

25 October
Port torpedo tubes serviced after hydraulic leak found. Two sailors of port watch before the Captain on charges of fighting in the Red Lion last night. Pay stopped.

26 October
Task of painting ships hull begun, chipping rust and so on. Crews unhappy since the weather is quite cold. NAFFI stores arrived.

27 October
Typical day. Painting continues. Captains wife came ashore for lunch in the officers mess. This evening there was a squadron officers party aboard HMS Latona.

28 October
Chipping and painting order of the day. Second funnel touched up. No.3 generator broke down 23:04.

29 October
Still painting. Work on the generator occupied the engineering crews all day but still not fixed.

30 October
Work begun on painting starboard hull. Ship moved away from the dock. Generator working again at 11:30. All 3.7in gun mounts given yearly servicing routine by gun crews. Two defects found.

31 October
Painting goes on. One 3.7in gun defect fixed. Tonights film is an American western. The Padre has opened a small library for the men to ease boredom and improve their minds.


Sunday, September 1st 2013, 5:35pm

1 November
The ships hull is repainted and the remaining 3.7in gun defect was also fixed today. The 6pdr anti-MTB guns have been serviced. In A turret shore engineers have been replacing some wiring. The officers mess beverage stores were restocked today.

2 November
Stoker Shorty Long given leave to travel to Portsmouth to fight his next bout for the 1944-45 Home Fleet Featherweight Boxing Cup. The match will be against Petty Officer Howely from HMS Chichester. Normal routine all day. Seamans Mate Tim Harding back aboard, leg still in plaster but on light duties.

3 November
Educational films shown today and anti-gas drill carried out on the fantail. Fresh fruit and veg brought aboard. Stoker Shorty Long won his match last night, knocking out PO Howely in the fourth round.

4 November
Pom-pom firing drills during the morning. The damage control parties went ashore for training in cofferdam techniques. Stoker Long came back to a warm welcome at 16:00. All officers and crew came aboard and rumours of sea duty circulated the ship this evening.

5 November
After refuelling the bunkers the ship left harbour at 12:07 and headed north. Weather very cold with sharp wind. Captain informed the crew over the Tannoy that we have been detached to Scapa Flow for several weeks. Arrived at Scapa 20:40 and anchored for the night.

6 November
Left anchorage at 06:30 for patrol duty. Sailed box searches all day until returning to Scapa at 16:50.

7 November
Left anchorage for patrol duty. 3.7in dummy gunnery practice during the afternoon. We remained at sea all night.

8 November
Continued patrolling. So far weve seen ten Scottish and nine Nordish fishing vessels. Torpedo crews given exercises with full speed manoeuvres after dinner with reloading exercises. Wind getting to Force 5 and seas choppy. Very cold but heating system working well.

9 November
After another night out on patrol we spotted a distress flare about six miles southwest at 08:12. Course altered and found a Nordish trawler in difficulties. Signal lamp Morse messages ascertained the fishermans engines had flooded. Wind was now Force 6 and seas quite high. Skilfully the Captain and the Coxswain eased the cruiser alongside and we managed to get a line aboard the fisherman. We began towing her to Shetland, around sixty miles southeast. At 11:30 the tow broke and we successfully managed to get a new line across at 12:24. Arrived at Sullom Voe at 19:36 and dropped tow. We anchored for the night.


Saturday, September 7th 2013, 3:39pm

10 November
Ship left Sullom Voe, up the Yell Sound towards Scapa Flow. Weather improved slightly. Passed HMS Zorro out of Scapa heading north at 11:51. We arrived at Scapa and anchored. Light snow overnight.

11 November
Decks cleaned and ship left anchorage at 09:40 for patrol duties. Returned at 16:05. No one keen to take shore leave due to the barrenness ashore! More complaints about the Rock Cakes, "I could hammer rivets with these" and "bung these in the AA guns the next time the RAF buzz us!".

12 November
Day at rest but no rest for the crew! Cleaning and keeping warm the main priorities of the day.

13 November
More snow today. Visibility bad and planned patrol called off. Crew scraping ice and cleaning ship. Seaman Knowles fell overboard at 15:07. Chief Petty Officer N. Cornell stopped a couple of other sailors diving in. The port whaler was lowered in double-quick time and the crew fished out Knowles. He was suffering from signs of hypothermia and a Sunderland was ordered which arrived at 16:54 in the darkness. Knowles was transferred by boat and the Sunderland flew him and the Medical Officer plus an orderly to the mainland for urgent treatment.

14 November
Ship left the anchorage with HMS Zorro for patrol duties at 07:12. X turret gunnery crew given practice and some steering trials were completed during the afternoon. We returned with Zorro at 17:01. A letter of thanks arrived from the Nordish fishing boat with a crate of Nordish beer with the routine mail!

15 November
Day at anchor. Emergency generator tests carried out. Tonights film was another American western. Word from the hospital is that Seaman Knowles is recovering well.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hood" (Sep 7th 2013, 3:39pm)


Sunday, September 22nd 2013, 11:47am

16 November
Left anchorage at 08:05 and set course due north. Began patrol of fishing waters and sighted three British and two Nordish fishing vessels. Kept clear of fishing grounds due avoid fouling nets. Routine patrol.

17 November
Ice watch begun at 05:30 and since then ship's crew busy chipping ice off the topworks to ensure stability. Very cold. Ship's heating plant at full belt and still several areas are cold. Sighted four British fishing vessels and four Nordish and one German fishermen.

18 November
Continued course north-west during the night, around 120 miles north of Iceland coast, at 08:35 course altered to south. During the afternoon a box search was practiced, Nordish destroyer seen in the murk around six miles off the port bow but soon disappeared into a squall. Seas rougher, ice still an ever present danger, men now soaked and freezing. Many of the sailors are thoroughly fed up.

19 November
Patrol continued into the Atlantic, rumour has it we will return to Cromarty rather than Scapa. Crew looking forward to the better amenities there and hopes of shore leave. Ten various merchants and fishing vessels spotted. Weather improved from the later afternoon onwards.

20 November
At 09:03 Butt of Lewis, Isle of Lewis spotted, first land for days. Continued patrol down the west coast of Lewis, then North Uist, rounded Barra at the end of the afternoon and headed southeast towards Tiree.

21 November
During the night we passed Islay and Kintyre and we anchored in the Firth of Clyde of Arran at 04:30. At 09:40 we proceeded up to Greenock. Owing to heavy traffic we did not arrive at the port until 12:18. Tied up at the quay and fresh food and more fuel taken aboard. No shore leave given, apparently we are returning to Scapa via the Outer Hebrides on patrol. Tonight the fed up matelots chucked the entire consignment of foul rock cakes into the dock. All sunk without trace.


Tuesday, October 1st 2013, 2:13pm

22 November
Left anchorage at 08:17. Headed south into the Firth and proceeded at slow speed through shipping lanes. Skirted around west coast of Arran and then headed north. Weather fair, sea state three. Course set due north at 15:14. Most of night spent at 15 knots around fifty miles off Islay headed north-east.

23 November
Continued north-east, now clear of Western Isles. Weather worsening and pressure dropping, stormy by lunchtime with green seas over the bows. Visibility poor and only one merchant vessel seen, believed to be Nordish. Progress is slow with following seas.

24 November
Weather bad all night and finally at 05:20 the Orkneys are spotted and we begin to plot a course for the anchorage at Scapa. Seas improve once we get into leeward waters and the ship finally anchors at 09:26. Chief Engineer and repair parties active on the forecastle the rest of the morning checking the damage caused by the storm but weve weathered it surprisingly well. Much cleaning and tidying up below decks and swabbing out.

25 November
All day spent cleaning and scrubbing. Rainy day. At 15:03 Captain and first officer go ashore via Captains boat. At 16:30 battleship HMS Lion and destroyers HMS Grenade and Gipsy arrive. Captain returns at 17:14.

26 November
Left anchorage at 11:14. Planned gunnery exercises scrubbed due to weather which is still bad. We are heading home, course south and the entire crew is looking forward to some shore leave. At 21:50 we anchor in the Clyde next to heavy cruiser HMS Edgar.

27 November
Ships crew mustered at 09:30. Week leave passes handed out among the crew and others get 48 hour passes. Those staying behind are the usual melancholy souls by teatime. Ship is moved to normal berth at 15:20. Captain goes ashore for weeks leave too. First Officer in charge.

28 November
Food and stores brought aboard. Planning begun for Christmas parties and decorations. Seamans Mate Tim Harding now out of plaster.

29 November
No.2 generator fails during testing. Chief Engineer and his boys are kept busy. The standby-chefs food seems quite good compared to the normal. Fairey Seafox K4315 is assigned to the ship and winched aboard during the afternoon. Training films shown this evening.

30 November
Saint Andrews Day. Crew took part in town celebrations, some of the Port watch paraded through Rosyth. Stoker 'Shorty' Long given leave to travel to Campbeltown to fight his next bout for the 1944-45 Home Fleet Featherweight Boxing Cup. The match will be against Signalman Ted 'Brassknuckles' McGinty from submarine HMS O2. Both funnels undergoing painting. Some welding is undertaken on the foremast and new cabling is being added in the radio room. Generally still a busy ship!


Thursday, October 3rd 2013, 5:20pm

1 December
Static pom-pom gunnery drills in the morning, boat crew training after lunch and extended PT and aircraft recognition during the afternoon.

2 December
Seaman Knowles back aboard and fully recovered. Fairey Seafox K4315 craned into the water and back aboard for practice. Engine test runs carried out at 15:20. Stoker 'Shorty' Long defeated Signalman Ted 'Brassknuckles' McGinty in the penultimate round in what was a close and tough match of boxing.

3 December
Crew returning from leave. Captain back on duty. Results from last leave are two weddings, three engagements and one birth. Black eyes and broken noses less than usual. Rumours of a deployment to the Far East circulate.

4 December
Those due leave who missed the first round of leave get their week passes today. Practice gunnery drills in A and B turrets during the afternoon. Most of the regular galley staff are back, food noticeably gets worse.

5 December
The manufacture of paper Christmas decorations begins. Some equipment was taken aboard today from the quayside. Rumours speculate it is tropical kit.

6 December
Planning for the Flotilla Christmas Party has begun. Two seamen before the Captain for smuggling whiskey aboard during our visit to Cromarty. Both lose a weeks leave and fined a months pay, the stock has been impounded.

7 December
Fresh fruit and stores brought aboard. The tropical kit turns out to be wine cooler for the officers wardroom. The Captains wife came aboard today for an hour.

8 December
Boat drills, evacuation drills and battle damage drills take up the entire day plus the usual scrubbing and cleaning.

9 December
Ships laundry announces it has finally caught up with all its duties. Fresh hammocks have arrived today for the stokers. Tarpaulins arranged over the open bridge to give cover. No.3 boiler is tested today.

10 December
Crew returning from leave, full ships company mustered at 18:00. The 2pdr pom-poms are serviced during the morning.

11 December
In addition to normal cleaning and maintenance jobs, Fairey Seafox K4315 is given an engine run during the morning and during the afternoon the Admirals boat is given a run around the harbour.

12 December
Ships company busy with the important task of decorating the ship. Paper banners and paper chains around the lower decks, no less than five Christmas trees are decorated and the Captain allows fairy lights along the superstructure aft. Carol services begin.

13 December
Christmas food supplies arrive and eagerly loaded. Ships choir goes ashore this evening to sing in the main Chapel in Rosyth.

14 December
Two new Midshipmen, R.T. Fowler and T.M.B. Dunston arrive aboard as new postings. Battle damage exercises around the forward barbette spaces are hampered by Christmas decorations and piles of presents. This afternoon parcels and mail arrived.

15 December
The event of the day was the Flotilla Christmas Party. All the officers of the 20th Cruiser Squadron, including Rear Admiral P.L. Vian, have a party hosted in the officers wardroom while the ships companies have a party hosted in one of the empty storerooms in the harbour. The festivities began at 15:00 and ended at around 04:00 sometime unofficially. Men from the 12th Destroyer Flotilla trying to muscle in on the party led to some good-natured fracas but the Captain (D) was welcomed aboard our fine ship to join the officers party but left minus his hat or trousers.


Saturday, October 19th 2013, 5:04pm

16 December
Chief Petty Officer N. Cornells booming voice was too loud for anyone aboard today. Routine duties carried out gingerly. Admiralty paper regarding the 'Increasing Rates of Alcohol and Alcoholism aboard His Majestys Vessels' was delivered today.

17 December
Fresh stocks of liberated booze found their way aboard. Rear Admiral P.L. Vian wished to make use of his boat but was told it was unserviceable. On insisting an inspection be made he found it contained twenty barrels of ale. As the unfortunate supply officer, Lt. Carmichael, could not find any documentation or offer any explanation of how the barrels got aboard he was fined two barrels. The Admiral decided to drive across the harbour after all. There was an officers Christmas party this evening, well lubricated by two barrels of ale.

18 December
Routine normal. Tons of brussel sprouts and carrots arrived today. Rear Admiral P.L. Vian left the ship for London at 14:30. Captain investigating how eighteen barrels of ale got into the cells.

19 December
Dummy AA practice for the starboard 3.7in gun crews in the morning and for the port crews in the afternoon. Noted with some happiness that HMS Latona has left harbour for patrol work up north rather than our ship. Ship's choir goes ashore this evening to sing in the main Church in Rosyth.

20 December
Casualty evacuation drills, part of these were hampered by the discovery of fourteen kegs of ale in the infirmary. Chief Petty Officer N. Cornell had an unusual accident, he fell off his bicycle into the harbour while delivering the Captains report to the harbour commander. Ships choir goes ashore this evening to sing in Rosyth.

21 December
Those with wives and children ashore given Christmas leave. The senior harbour officers came aboard this evening for a few drinks. Ships choir goes ashore this evening to sing at Rosyth Hospital.

22 December
Thirty turkeys arrived today, plus nine geese, twenty pork joints, sixty chickens, fifty beef joints and eight hundred sausages. The cook has put his finishing touches to his famous Christmas pud.

23 December
Electrical officer spent most of the morning investigating why the fairy lights have fused. Fully repaired they were switched on at 16:30 by the Captain. Ten kegs of beer discovered in the emergency generator room at 10:46 by the Chief Engineer. Before his wrath could descend they barrels seemingly moved to the port-side AA director control room. Most of the ships company still aboard went ashore this evening to drink and by merry. Ships choir sang at the Navy Chapel this evening and entire company attended services.

24 December
Christmas Eve. During the morning normal cleaning routine, final decorations put up. Last Christmas mail arrived at 10:08. Captains wife and most of the officers wives came aboard at 14:00 for a Christmas lunch in the officers wardroom. A good tea was served to all the crew this evening and the Captain and his wife made the traditional Christmas rounds of the ship wishing all the crew Christmas tidings. As is custom, the youngest sailor in the ship, Boy Seaman Ted Geddings (just 16 years 1 month) dressed up as a Captain to meet the Captain. Father Christmas (Telegraphist Sidney Jones ) arrived aboard, bounding up the gangplank to distribute good cheer to all. Choir service aboard this evening. A few drinks in the officers wardroom rounded off the evening and the Captain and his wife departed at 21:45.

25 December
Christmas Day so no routine or chores today, instead the ships company got down to much eating and being merry and exchanging gifts and carol singing. Twenty empty kegs that once contained ale dumped overboard at 23:48.


Sunday, October 20th 2013, 3:35am

I presume that His Majesty's ships are still wet, and that the daily ration of watered rum is still available. If so, why the fascination with ale? ;)


Sunday, October 20th 2013, 5:52am


Originally posted by BruceDuncan
I presume that His Majesty's ships are still wet, and that the daily ration of watered rum is still available. If so, why the fascination with ale? ;)

Have you ever compared watered down rum to ale? ;)


Monday, October 21st 2013, 3:46am


Originally posted by Sachmle


Originally posted by BruceDuncan
I presume that His Majesty's ships are still wet, and that the daily ration of watered rum is still available. If so, why the fascination with ale? ;)

Have you ever compared watered down rum to ale? ;)

Perhaps, but they're in Rosyth. Scotch I could see; but ale would be a comparatively rare commodity I think, compared with the ubiquitous water of life. :D

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

  • Send private message


Monday, October 21st 2013, 7:11am

Neat thread, 6 days left, but I think I'm not jumping the gun to say "well done".


Thursday, October 24th 2013, 4:08pm


Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
Neat thread, 6 days left, but I think I'm not jumping the gun to say "well done".

Many thanks Kirk, although you are jumping the gun a teeny bit since this story is a June-June year so we're only half way through! :D

26 December
Running normal routine again, decks scrubbed, lower decks aired and inventory taken of stores. The 'Buffer' (Chief Boatswain's Mate) has been a worse than usual mood today and many have suffered the edge of his tongue.

27 December
Gunnery drill practice order of the day, during the morning for A turret and the portside 3.7in gun crews. In the afternoon Y turret and the starboard side 3.7in guns.

28 December
Gunnery drill practice order of the day, during the morning X turret drills and for the starboard 3.7in gun crews. In the afternoon B turret and the portside side 3.7in guns. Ships cat went missing but eventually found in a pile of uniforms in the laundry. Christmas leave sailors came back aboard today.

29 December
Ships company given mass PT on the dockside today in batches, repainting work around B turret begun. Gunnery practice for X turret dummy drills and for pom-pom crews. Inspection of the magazines and the Chief Engineer began testing flooding systems and emergency lighting.

30 December
Gunnery drills for the pom-pom and machine-gun mount crews. Main directors serviced and table gunnery exercises carried out this afternoon. Two training films shown this afternoon and this evening further technical classes took place. Emergency generator tests carried out satisfactorily.

31 December
More stocks of food and drink came aboard this morning for the New Years celebrations. Whiskey was brought aboard today, the 'Jimmy' (First Lieutenant) passing it through without comment. Much celebration tonight to see in the New Year. No one in the brig this year which must be a record for the Lancaster! All in all it has not been a bad 1943 for the ship.