You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, November 5th 2012, 5:53pm

Royal Egyptian Army

Royal Egyptian Army

In 1946 there are around 33,200 officers and men in the Egyptian Army and 1,200 Royal Guards. The Royal Guards provide a bodyguard for the King and security for the Royal palaces. A British Inspector-General oversees general military co-operation with the British Army and the British Military Mission trains and equips the Royal Egyptian Army along British lines. The British Military Mission effectively has command control over the Egyptian armed forces.

Currently the Egyptian Army has twelve Infantry Battalions organized into I (Cairo), II (Egypt-Italian border), III (Southern Egypt/Sudan area) and IV (Alexandria) Brigades, two Cavalry Squadrons (based in Southern Egypt), one Armoured Regiment with 43 Cruiser Tank Mk V Crusader (A15), 40 Vickers Valentine and 12 Light Tank Mk VI Tetrarch (A14) (attached to I Brigade), three Artillery Regiments equipped with 25pdr field guns (one attached to each I, II and III Brigades) and one engineer company.

Standard weapons include the .303in Rifle No.2 Mk III, Short Magazine Lee-Enfield and .303in Vickers machine-guns and .303in Vickers ‘K’ LMGs. Four motorised MG companies are equipped with Carrier Machine Gun No.1 Mk I. The Royal Guards have eight Daimler Scout Cars and eight Daimler Armoured Cars. Nearly all equipment is based on standard British Army kit. All units are organised on British Army lines.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hood" (Nov 5th 2012, 5:58pm)