You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, October 1st 2012, 10:11am

China's withdrawal from the League

22nd September 1942
Lee Kuei-Tan, leader of the chinese representatives to the League of Nations, stood up from his chair to present a statement of his government:

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the league,

"The Government of the Empire of China has undertaken an extensive review of its international and global affairs policy since Bharat has left the League.

China has come also to the conclusion that the composition of the League of Nations is fundamentally wrong. As Bharat has already said, apparently plays in the award of permanent member seats military strength a more important role than a balanced design. Or why else is only ONE Asian nation a permanent member ? Or the two most populous nations remain non-permanent members. Also we want a League which is build by an equitable and balanced formula that would consider population, overall economic power, and regional balance. On this basis, I am instructed to report that also China shall resign its non-permanent postion on the Council effective 1 October 1942.

China's new foreign policy places a strong emphasis on strengthening China's interests and the strengthening of economic, diplomatic and military ties with some long time friends. China hereby officially waives all territorial claims related to the Spratly and Paracel Islands. China argues that it did not interfere in the internal affairs of other states, and other nations not to interfere in internal Chinese affairs. Currently existing alliances remain untouched from this course.

In accordance with these principles, I am instructed to report that China shall cease to recognize any real or hypothesized jurisdiction of the League over Chinese citizens, assets, territories, waters, and air space, effective 1 October 1942. League offices in China shall be required to terminate their operations as of that date, and subsequently relocate their personnel, assets, and equipment from China in an expeditious manner. Otherwise, apply from 1 January 1943 they are undesirables persons and will be expelled from the country.

Finally, I am instructed to report that China resigns its membership in the League effective 1 October 1942. Subsequent to that date, the Chinese mission to the league, including myself and all others, will be temporarily housed in the Chinese embassy in Geneve, until it is subsequently withdrawn to China."

"Thank you, Ladies and Gentlemen for your attention." after these words Lee Kuei-Tan folded the piece of paper and went slowly and majestic out of conference hall.

Monday, October 1st 2012, 8:58pm

Don't let the door...

September 22
Official statement of the Republic of France to the League of Nations:

Quoted

The Empire of China has stated their intent to withdraw from the League of Nations, mimicking the move by the government of Bharat. The French government denounces this action. Although both China and India have stated their objection to the makeup of the League, and their lack of participation among the Permanent Members, I must call attention to the complete and utter hypocrisy of this spurious position. Not once in their many years of membership in the League of Nations has either China or India made any request, any motion whatsoever to propose alternatives to the composition of the League. No official complaint about its organization has ever been voiced. This withdrawal is no principled stand of nations seeking equivalence with their counterparts, but a mere childish tirade by two nations which have, in the past, attempted to use the League to justify their own imperialistic ends. China claims that military strength is the only arbiter of a nation's presence in the Permanent Members, but this is an absolute lie. China has a larger standing military than any of the League's permanent members - nay, any two of them combined. And unsatisfied with that, China continues to arm and purchase new military equipment and raise more divisions. India's significant military strength is well-known as well, as one of the largest and most battle-tested armies in the last fifteen years, by which they've won for themselves an empire.

No, the Permanent Membership is not adjudicated by military strength. The Permanent Members are instead the founders of the League, the visionaries of its mission, and the most consistent adherents to the League's principles. Neither China nor India have become Permanent Members because neither of them have acted in the manner befitting a Permanent Member. Neither have shown any interest in becoming one.

Make no mistake, gentlemen. This is just another ploy by China and India in their cold war against the supposed evils of European imperialism. By making a dramatic departure from the League, with high language and noble-sounding overtures to peace, hope, and fluffy bunnies, India and China hope to score a moral blow against the ideals of the League of Nations. We are not fooled. China or India never once made overtures to change the League. They've simply invented the most compelling-sounding excuse to leave, a clever soundbite for the radios and newspapers.

Having thus withdrawn from the League, India and China have spurned the collaborative efforts of some of the League's most important projects. They have ended cooperation with the world on the Permanent Central Opium Board. They have ended cooperation with the Slavery Commission. They have terminated their participation to prevent the Trafficking in Women and Children. They've withdrawn from agreements giving oversight on intellectual collaboration, health, assistance for refugees, and labor. And most important of all, they have spurned the League's primary mission - preventing another world war through the efforts of international diplomacy.

By their departure, India and China have signaled their adherence to the previous principle - that might shall be the sole adjudicator of international disputes. Let us all hope, for the peace of the world, that their leaders do not choose to put this principle into effect.

Monday, October 1st 2012, 11:33pm

Japan's representative, Naotake Sato got up:

"Sir, I would like to point out to you that there were a lot more nations present when the League of Nations was founded than there are permanent members right now. It is not because they were stipped of their permanent membership, but because they were never given permanent membership in the first place. It should be noted that those nation were also founding members. They, too, were visionaries of its mission, and are consistent adherents to the League's principles, maybe more so than some of the permanent members of the League. Despite that, they are not permanent members.

"Having looked at that, I therefore conclude that that cannot be a valid qualification for becoming a permanent member, especially when the permanent members of the council were decided from the get-go. But neither is military strength as you have already pointed out. Therefore it has to be something else.

"Both India and China were founding members as well, yet neither of them were permanent members. While most share the belief that neither of them have acted in the manner befitting a Permanent Member, that is only true in the later years and not in the beginning when the League of Nations was founded. Back then, both of them were visionaries of the League's mission, and were consistent adherents to the League's principles, maybe more so than some of the permanent members of the League. But despite that, they, like others, were not made permanent members.

"As time passed, both China and India became more and more disillusioned. Both nations began to change. Their attitude towards the League of Nations began to change. They began to distrust the League of Nations, its intentions, its visions and its principles. More and more, every day, every week, every month and every year until it became too much and they decided to depart from the League.

"Which bring us to where we are now. To the League of Nations... and Japan... and a withdrawal from the League of Nations..."

Naotake Sato paused for a few seconds before going on.

"Sir, you speak of a cold war against the evils...

Aide whispering: "(supposed evils)"

"... the supposed evils of European imperialism. I am sure you are well aware of Japan's view of European imperialism. If it were truly about a cold war against the evils... the supposed evils of European imperialism as you claim, then it will be a fact that Japan will withdraw from the League of Nations as well. Another dramatic departure from the League, with high language and noble-sounding overtures to peace, hope, and fluffy bunnies..."

To aide: "(Fluffy bunnies?? Who in the French department came up with that?)

"... hoping to score a moral blow against the ideals of the League of Nations. But Japan is still here and if it were truly about the... supposed evils of European imperialism, then Japan would have left the League of Nations a long time ago.

"Sir, you speak as if it is the end of the world with those two leaving the League of Nations. Yes, they have ended cooperation with the world on the Permanent Central Opium Board, but that does not mean the end of the Permanent Central Opium Board. Yes, they have ended cooperation with the Slavery Commission, but that does not mean the end of the Slavery Commission. Yes, they have terminated their participation to prevent the Trafficking in Women and Children, but that does not mean that we cannot prevent the Trafficking in Women and Children. Yes, they have withdrawn from agreements giving oversight on intellectual collaboration, health, assistance for refugees, and labor, but that does not mean that oversight on intellectual collaboration, health, assistance for refugees, and labor is lost.

" Whether the intentions of China and India are good or bad, it does not change the fact that this is a free world and they have the freedom to decide what they want (up to a certain point). If they no longer wish to be part of the League of Nations, then so be it. Any attempts to stop them is an attempt to suppress this freedom and will make matters only worse. If we are not careful, that could destroy the League of Nations from within.

"As for spurning the League's primary mission - preventing another world war through the efforts of international diplomacy... The fact that both nations are no longer part of the League of Nations does not mean the end of diplomancy. Unless both nations sever all diplomatic ties, preventing another world war through the efforts of international diplomacy is still possible. It just won't happen here at Geneva in the presence of the League of Nations. Should there be a point where either India or China or both get involved in a war, as long as we, the League of Nations members, keep our heads cool, any such war will not evolve into something the size of the Great War. If it does, then we all fail with the League's primary mission.

"Despite what I have said, it is still Japan's belief that it is necessary to keep an eye on the situation regarding India and China. They should also be made well aware of the fact that, because they no longer are League of Nations members, the the League of Nations may not tollerate either one of them sticking their noses into League business. It was their choice to leave the League of Nations, but that does not mean they should try to undermine the authority of the League of Nations even more and be allowed to deal another moral blow against the ideals of the League of Nations.

"Japan recognizes that the League of Nations is not perfect. But I am quite sure that a lot will agree with me. It is better than nothing at all. While there were failures, the League of Nations has had successes as well. These successed should be an indication that all our efforts have not been in vain.

"Having said all this, we, Japan, would like to reaffirm our commitment to the League of Nations' visions, missions and principles as well as our faith and trust in the League of Nations, despite its flaws. Sure there will still be failures ahead on the road of the League of Nations, but there will be successes as well, and every success will be another victory for the League of Nations.(*) I thank you all for your attention."

(*) Mr. Sato would like to keep it positive, so does not say that every failure is another defeat for the League of Nations.

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 2:53am

The United States Ambassador to the League of Nations Mr. Edward Stettinius:

"Gentlemen, this is indeed troubling that within the space of a year two nations, which the government of the United States recognizes as being expansionist nations, and a threat to the status quo have left this august body. This body, which was formed after the most horrific war the world has ever seen, this noble congress of nations whose desire is for peace. Is peace not the aim of the Empire of China, and the Nation Whom the United States does not recognize as being One? They speak the words of harmony, and chastise us for not allowing them permanent membership. Perhaps the question should be, what sort of membership do they desire? For we are all here voluntarily out of our nations and peoples desire to see peace amongst the nations of the world. It appears that peace is not the aim of the Chinese government, nor the Unnamed Ones."

"The United States has long seen itself as the defender of the status quo, and fluffy bunnies of the world. It takes quite seriously any attempt by any nation to disrupt said status quo, which disrupts trade, industry, profits and frightens the fluffy bunnies. It should be noted that the United States also does not condone the European Empires, but it also does note that none of the "evil Empires" has been in a conflict since the 1920's, yet both China and the Unnamed Nation have used force against innocent peoples within the last five years. This sort of behavior is not something the United States or fluffy bunnies can condone as behavior becoming of nations that wish to show themselves as mature, responsible nations ready to take a more active role in the world."

"I thank you all for your attention, and your concern for the fluffy bunnies."

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 3:05am

As an OOC comment, I think we might have been willing to consider reorganizing the membership of the various bodies - IF there had been any discussion about it. Instead, China and India just announce they're quitting - no complaints, no suggestions for improvement, no requests for change, after having played games with the League for years, if not decades. What with the simultaneous meta-discussion about readjusting factory counts to give India and China more factories, I have to ask - Rocky and Parador, are you quitting the League because of IC, or OOC frustrations?

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 4:26am

Let's see :

Kingdom of the Netherlands :
I make this plea to the Honorable Lee Kuei-Tan, to convey to his government. The presence or absence of nations in the Permanent chairs is not the primary reason for this league. This league serves as a permanent forum for issues great and small to be discussed. That this is so done can be derived from the label "talking shop". From these humble origins it is far easier to coordinate nations towards worthwhile international goals, such as the Commission on Slavery. So I urge the honorable Lee Kuei-Tan to press on his government that their continued presence is welcomed with open arms.

Kingdom of Belgium :
I'm quite concerned about these fluffy bunnies, are they in peril? Should we form a subcommittee to examine them? In that event we should have specimens collected from the wild, at least one stuffed and mounted for each member of this assembly.

Grand Duchy of Luxembourg : The League is a gathering of Sovereign nations, equal to each other in their right to exist and exercise control within their own borders. That recognition, regardless of economic might or military brawn, is the first step in avoiding future wars.

Kingdom of the Kongo : We continue to find the stance of Bahrat, and now China, puzzling. No nation has suffered under the yoke of European imperialism as ours has, save perhaps Ireland, or the native peoples of the Americas.

At the Berlin Conference, my Nations fate was sealed. However, as devastating as King Leopold's reign of Horror was, it was international action which saw title bequeathed on our Queen. It was the Queens Guard that delivered us from the Force Publique, her contacts with the South Afrikans that saw the capital investments of SANTA, her contacts with Germany that saw settlers from Silesia bring life to the mines.

While international action by a small club gave rise to horrors for which we had no forum to fan the fires of morality, it was the novel by the Pole Josef Conrad and the report of the Irishman Rodger Casement that brought our plight to the view of a wider international audience.

Now, with the League, the Permanent Court of Justice, the Permanent Court of Arbitration, and the Hague Academy of International Law, there are forums to allow the aggrieved access to remediation without waiting two decades for a Savior Queen.

There is value in this body, in the opportunity to claim the floor and be heard by all the worlds nations. Withdrawal merely denies your governments the opportunity to be involved.

Kingdom of Saud : No Comment

Sultanate of Yemen (?) : No Comment.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Oct 2nd 2012, 4:27am)

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 9:12am

Mexico thinks that there is no such thing as fluffy bunnies and that all such bloodthirsty creatures should be terminated with extreme prejudice. A motion is hereby presented that task force be immediately formed to accomplish said task. (no comment is made on China or India, thought the Mexican rep is seen speaking to his counterparts in those two nations, something about cruisers is overheard)

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 11:40am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
As an OOC comment, I think we might have been willing to consider reorganizing the membership of the various bodies - IF there had been any discussion about it. Instead, China and India just announce they're quitting - no complaints, no suggestions for improvement, no requests for change, after having played games with the League for years, if not decades. What with the simultaneous meta-discussion about readjusting factory counts to give India and China more factories, I have to ask - Rocky and Parador, are you quitting the League because of IC, or OOC frustrations?

OOC:
Do not worry, i'm not frustrated. I just want to bring a little bit of "life" into the simulation. I my eyes, here is too much of the "peace, joy and pancakes" sentiment. Every country has nearly good relations with the others. Past enemies with insurmountable "obstacles" are suddenly allies. Therefore, I am willing to play the "bad guy".

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 3:02pm

The Yugoslav delegate to the League politely expresses the regret of his Government at the decision of China to depart from the deliberative body; his comments are brief, non-accusatory, and intended to soothe. Members of his staff however might be seen speaking with their Chinese counterparts on non-related matters.

For his part, the Philippine delegate says nothing, merely smiling at the act of theatre performed by China and the subsequent reaction of the League members. Cornered by reporters later outside the Hall, he was heard to say, “China’s actions speak for themselves, as they have always done. Ask the people of Olongopo if you wish to know the truth of it.”

The German delegate rises in his turn:

“The German Government regrets that the Chinese Empire has chosen to walk out of the League, but it is, alas, not surprised. In the last decade China’s preference for a bellicose solution to problems has been quite manifest – its incorporation of Tibet, the policy it has pursued towards the European enclaves on its periphery, its long-held designs on the island of San Hainando and its recent conflict in the South China Sea. Following the conclusion of the Treaty of Saigon, the German Government believed that the Chinese Empire had taken a new course, and had resumed commerce in the spheres of defence material and aviation. However, the continuing military buildup of the Chinese armed forces over the last two years has belied such hope; the insulting words offered here today are merely confirmation that China is bent on a military confrontation of unparalleled proportions. The German Government hereby gives notice that it is suspending all trade in defence and aviation materials – both civil and military – with the Chinese Empire until such time that the German Government is satisfied that Chinese policy has truly taken a different course.”

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 3:45pm

The British delegate gets up and echos the comments around the chamber, "It is self-evident that these two nations have sought self-exclusion and isolation from the world. They cannot live beside us so choose to run away and hide believing if they stay in some dark cave that we will not notice what misdeeds they do, nor have to power to compel them to act in a humane and civilised way. They have spurned not only the central function of this body but also all the smaller Committees that have done so much good humanitarian work to stamp out slavery and to improve conditions and medical care. Well, we will not stop this work. We will carry on as before on our great civilising works. The lack of any offical complaint or proposals to re-adjust the Permament Members belies their core reason, the desire for world diplomatic impact on par with the Great Powers, on the basis of pure population is sheer fallacy if the diplomatic groundwork is not behind it. Bharat and China have consistently found themselves in wars, they have installed puppets and exported a brand of their own violent imperialism and have shown a disregard of international law or agreement time and time again. They have not shown any capable means of self-control or diplomacy to be fit to be Permament Members. Population numbers have nothing to do with the matter - moral diplomacy does."

The Argentine delgate says very little except to note, "It's very sad. Very sad. Humankind has a long way to go before harmony can be reached amongst each other. We only hope no further nations feel it is a clause to get off the hook by trying to escape the League. Each of its members have alliances and ties that have long reaches. As my German friend has shown, the ability to withhold commerical interests is a powerful weapon. One must hope the League can only learn from this episode."

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 4:18pm

Quoted

I announced the Bharati withdrawal months ago...

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 11:14pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor

Quoted

I announced the Bharati withdrawal months ago...

And yet I've felt - perhaps incorrectly - that it has been something of a consistent theme, both in character and out. I recognize that there are valid reasons it comes up, but I want to make sure that we're not inadvertently frustrating you and Parador with this issue.

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 3:20am

I'm frustrated with things, but none of that is new and there's no reason to rehash them here.

So far as the Bharati withdrawal is concerned - it's consistent with my approach to Bharati foreign affairs, and does not reflect a momentary surge of OOC frustration.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 5:35pm

The SAE mission to Geneve admits to be taken by surprise. China's withdrawl was not expected nor communicated to the SAE before and the SAE regrets the move.

However, even more suprising are the rather fierce if not violent responses by other nations who claim themselves on moral high ground but condem China, and India, for their move without showing a minimum of respect - respect that should be the very core of any action here in Geneve. Instead, speaches like that of the French reveal how the European powers still look down upon the people in Asia.

If the League is meant to be an open forum for free nations the SAE must seek these members to overcome their attitude and take the Chinese decision for what it is - a formal withdrawl but no cut of diplomatic ties - and not for what it actually is not - a declaration of war. A formal excuse to the people of China, and India, may be a minimum to regain what respect France and others have lost by their very own misplaced reaction in the face of other members of the League that do not belong to their respective power blocks.

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 5:54pm

Russian Federation delegate...

has nothing to to say.

Mobilization Directorate of RF General Staff is tasked to evaluate whether present pool of trained reservists would support creation of two additional Inactive Armies.

Personnel Directorate of RF General Staff is tasked to evaluate feasibility of creating skeleton staff for two additional Inactive Armies.

Military Engineering Directorate of RF General Staff is tasked to evaluate feasibility of establishing facilities for two additional Inactive Armies in Siberian Military District.

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 7:19pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
A formal excuse to the people of China, and India, may be a minimum to regain what respect France and others have lost by their very own misplaced reaction in the face of other members of the League that do not belong to their respective power blocks.

OOC: says the nation that shares the same power bloc as India!

IC: Atlantis is dismayed that China would join India in turning its back on one of the few venues where they can both voice thier opinion and invoke change, now they can do neither lest they use the barrel of the gun.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 8:24pm

OOC : I just find it amusing. I don't think any disputes have actually gone to the World Court or the Court of Arbitration, so to the Dutch POV, they haven't exactly been using the system except when it suits them. Yet the Dutch & Kongo responses to China's departure were among the nicest :)

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 8:37pm

OOC: I thought the French response was very polite - it just pointed out the facts of China's hypocrisy. China supposedly left the League due to their dissatisfaction about the makeup of the permanent members, and yet China never made any complaints about the object of their dissatisfaction. If it was such a problem, then you'd think they'd have taken an intermediate step or two between "twenty years of supine acceptance" and "ragequit!"

This of course leads France, and most of the rest of the world, to suspect that India and China's reasons for departure are because they no longer believe in the world peace mission of the League of Nations, or are preparing to act contrary to that peace.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 9:36pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
OOC: says the nation that shares the same power bloc as India!

Well, you are turning a bling eye on this: It's the nation that is in the same power block with the European nations of the Netherlands and Nordmark, says the nation that is good friend with Britain. ;o)

Friday, October 5th 2012, 2:21pm

Conversation between Lee Kuei-Tan and the chinese ambassador in the office of the Chinese Ambassador in Geneva

"Germany has, in response of our withdrawal from the League,put all economic relations on hold with us, Lee Kuei-Tan" the ambassador said surprised

"It is very sad, that Germany has changed from our once-important economic partner to a country, that looks on our actions only with evil eyes. On what grounds they have declared this step?" Lee Kuei-Tan asked

"They saw us as warmongers, as belligerent aggressors working towards an armed conflict, because we have operated in the past two years an extreme military upgrade. Will you not go back to the meeting to argue against these points ?"

"Why should i do this ? I do not think I can change the opinion of Germany or other nations and whether they will believe my words, I doubt it.

Have we breached the Treaty of Saigon ? NO !

Have we broken the neutrality agreements with France and Russia ? NO !

Have we violated against the Indochine protocol ? NO !

Have we done anything violent or anything that justifies this behavior of others ? NO !

We have just announced our withdrawal from the League and look at them, and how we are treated. The behavior of the other nations shows clearly what they think of us.
Has a country another opinion, it is treated like a leper. And these nations calling themselves civilized.
"