You are not logged in.

Thursday, July 29th 2004, 5:18pm

Filipino News Q1/24

Filipino News Q1/24

The Manila Times
8 January

The Filipino delegation has returned from attending the ceremony regarding the first Indian battleship, Akbar. Commodore Garcia, head of the Filipino naval contingent, stated that it was "a magnificent feast, with the most sublime delicacies. It is my opinion that the curried lamb, although spicy, was the best dish on the menu, and the wine was superb..."

The flight home was slightly delayed by an oil leak in one of the engines of the Vickers transport plane, which was repared during a scheduled stop in Bangkok.

The Manila Times
11 January

Police are baffled by the escape of the man, as yet unidentified, who was being held on charges of attempting to assissinate the chief of the Marina de Filipina, Rear Admiral Juan Diego de la Vega, during a speech at Butuan Shipyard last October.

Captain Sebastian Moran of the Manila Police stated that the cell was locked, there were no signs of tampering, and no "secret doors", yet the man was gone...

The Manila Times
15 January

Yesterday at Puerto Princesa, the Marina de Filipina's first submarine, "S-1", had its keel laid in a small ceremony.

MdF Director of Operations Commodore D. Lopez Garcia stated that the "S-1" is loosely based on a German design from the Great War, and will be used as an experimental boat, to determine what tactics work best in the constricted waters of the Philippines.

The Manila Evening Times
20 January

Today a small Italian flotilla, centered on the aircraft carrier Francesco Morosini, arrived in Manila Bay. The occasion is the delivery of the light cruiser Cíudad Rodrigo and a quartet of destroyers, which were recently purchased by the Filipino Navy.

The Italians will be spending a few days in port, and we invite them to sample the delights of Manila during their stay.

The Manila Times
30 January

The Filipino Navy announced today that they will be holding a joint naval exercise with the Indian Navy in mid-March, in India's Andaman Islands.

The Filipino Navy will be sending the cruiser Luzon, light cruisers Palawan, Leyte, and Cíudad Rodrigo, the four Italian destroyers that were delivered last week, and the newly commissioned torpedo boat T-1.

In addition, the D-class destroyer D-6, rendered surplus when the D-class was determined to be dangerously unseaworthy, will be equipped with wireless equipment for remote control, and will be sunk as the climax to the exercise.

The Manila Envelope
1 February

...it is this writer's opinion that the Government is rushing into an ill-advised alliance with the Indians. Given the past history of our country it is my opinion that we would be best served by a policy of strict neutrality, and that foreign powers be told to keep their hands off the Filipinos!

The Manila Times
2 February

Captian Sebastian Moran of the Manila Police has annouced that two people are being sought for questioning regarding the dissapearance of the man who attempted to assissinate Admiral de la Vega.

"We are seeking...an Englishman, brown or blonde hair, wearing a brown coat with a sprig of celery on the lapel, and a señorita, with brown hair...they were seen in various locations around Manila during the time of the dissipearance, but not before or since, and therefore we wish to determine whether or not they had any connection to it..."

The Manila Times
15 March

We have learned that the Filipino Government will be sending a delegation to Edo sometime in the next few months, to discuss a strengthing of relations between our country and Japan...

The Manila Times
29 March

The Filipino fleet arrived today, returning from the joint exercise with the Indian fleet that was held a few weeks ago. The navy declines to comment on the results of the exercise, stating that any lessons learned from it would be 'tactical secrets', but the smiles of the sailors indicate that, at least for us, it was a successful exercise, indeed.

finis

Thursday, July 29th 2004, 8:56pm

"The Manila Envelope".......GROAN!!!!

Friday, July 30th 2004, 3:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
"The Manila Envelope".......GROAN!!!!

A fine name for a tabloid, dontcha think? ;)

P.S. - Kudos to anyone who can spot the sci-fi TV-show connection in my post. ;)

Friday, July 30th 2004, 3:27pm

I get a sense that Doctor Who may have been in Manila, but wouldn't better a significant sum of money on it.

Sunday, August 1st 2004, 4:30pm

News heard at Radio Netherlands, dated 2/2/1924, confirmed true by the Dutch Ministry of Defence, confirm that a part of the Dutch Pacific Fleet will be on maneouvers in March 1924, around the Nicobar Islands, on the Indic Ocean.

Some rumours speak about the dutch fleet "keeping a constant eye open" over the recently announced indian/phillipino manouvers to be held in those same dates around the former dutch Andaman Islands, extreme denied by the Government.

Sunday, August 1st 2004, 4:58pm

Quoted

I get a sense that Doctor Who may have been in Manila, but wouldn't better a significant sum of money on it.

Kudos to the Doctor for identifying the Doctor. ;)

Monday, August 2nd 2004, 3:07pm

Quoted

Some rumours speak about the dutch fleet "keeping a constant eye open" over the recently announced indian/phillipino manouvers to be held in those same dates around the former dutch Andaman Islands, extreme denied by the Government.

If true, they must have gotten an eyefull, seeing as of the Filipino ships, two had just been commissioned the previous month, and five more just received from Italy late in the month before!

Monday, August 2nd 2004, 6:45pm

Quoted

Kudos to the Doctor for identifying the Doctor. ;)

Well, the last time I saw the Doctor was on "Top Gear", but before that... I think many years have passed since I last saw it on TV.

Who will be the next victim to visit the Wesworld?
:-)

Monday, August 2nd 2004, 7:12pm

Quoted

Well, the last time I saw the Doctor was on "Top Gear"

Is that Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson? If so, i pity you Netherlanders.

Monday, August 2nd 2004, 7:28pm

Quoted

Is that Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson? If so, i pity you Netherlanders.

No, it's Top Gear with Richard Hammond, James May, that weird tall guy, and the Stig.
:-)
(To be honest, I only know one "Top Gear" and it should be the one you know as well)

Actually, I like it. Something I cannot say about some of the rubbish I see on TV (wether it is on Dutch TV or on the BBC or on German TV or French TV or Italian TV or Belgian TV). Still the best stuff comes from my DVDs.