You are not logged in.

Tuesday, June 26th 2012, 11:38pm

I kinda forgot about mortise-and-tenon when I was writing, even though that's what was usually used on tririmes and Byzantine dromons.

Wednesday, June 27th 2012, 6:13pm

June 2
The cruiser Indochinie and her task group departed Manila today at the completion of a week-long port call. Capitaine de Vaisseau Jean-Pierre Courtois and the task group's senior officers dined as guests of Filippino Admiral Sebastian Casca at the Officers Club of the Cavite Naval Station, while enlisted men received shore liberty to tour one of the great cities of the Pacific Rim.

Indochinie's task group will be returning to Suva.

June 5 - Le Matin
Henri Ziegler has accepted the job of director for the Centre d'Essais en Vol (CEV). As assistant director of the CEV since 1938 and a graduate of the prestigious École Nationale Supérieure de l'Aéronautique, Ziegler has many years of experience in the aeronautical field.

June 6
Alsthom unveiled a new prototype diesel-electric locomotive proposed for use on French railways. The prototype, a B-B unit powered by a V-12 diesel engine, will be trialed on the Chemin de Fer du Nord. Alsthom hopes to compete with the Swiss Sulzer company, which currently controls most of the European diesel and electric locomotive market.

Wednesday, June 27th 2012, 10:00pm

Magnificent work Brock. A true masterpiece of historical fact, fiction and counter-factual.

Wednesday, June 27th 2012, 10:06pm

Thank you! :)

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 3:34am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Magnificent work Brock. A true masterpiece of historical fact, fiction and counter-factual.

Indeed, something else to flesh out Atlantean history. Well writen Brock!

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 3:35am

Thank you very much. I'm glad you approve of it. :)

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 5:41am

June 11
The first VB.20 heavy fighter was accepted into service today by the Armee de l'Aire.

June 14
Large crowds are attending the Tall Ships Race port call currently underway at La Rochelle.

June 15
Prime Minister Monnerville's Conference for the Development of Colonial Africa began today in Paris. The conference aims to bring together native leaders with French colonial governors and authorities to chart a broad course for economic and social development in the African continent.

The opening ceremonies were marred when native Algerian leaders were denied entry to the conference on the grounds that Algeria does not constitute a part of Colonial Africa. One French government spokesman vehemently replied to a foreign journalist's questions by shouting "Algeria is France!"

June 16
Senegalese and Malian workers on the Dakar-Niger Railway began a strike today, requesting equivalent pay to the white railway workers. According to sources in Senegal, the strike was called to coincide with the Conference for the Development of Colonial Africa, in order to call attention to the inequalities of native black workers.

Friday, June 29th 2012, 7:06am

Brest, France; June 16
Contre-Amiral Philippe Cassady opened the folder and glanced at the two senior captains sitting across the desk from him. "I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with you two. I think you like inventing these impossible situations for me to solve."

Capitaine de Vaisseau Victor Marais of Strasbourg had the impudence to smile. "The training results, sir?"

"The training results," Cassady replied. "Yes, let's discuss these training results. You're supposed to pass proficiency tests after you have two months of at-sea training. Not before training starts."

Dunkerque's Capitaine de Vaisseau Pascal d'Arz leaned forward. "I'm afraid I don't see the problem, Admiral."

"Oh, you don't do you?" Cassady said, exasperated. "I just have to work out what to do with the squadron for the two months we're supposed to be taking at-sea training."

"We could stay in Brest and save fuel," d'Arz answered.

"That would go over well with me," Cassady said. "But we've budgeted for at-sea training, and it's my job to explain to Admiralty West why we're not going to be using it." He sighed and looked thoughtful. "This would be all so easy if you gentlemen weren't overachievers and if your crews weren't so efficient. But we really need to take the next two months cruising."

Marais looked sly. "What if we made some foreign port calls, sir? Maybe... Duecalion, Rio, Guadeloupe, Miami or New Orleans?"

"But that's not the way things are done," Cassady protested.

"Why not, sir?" Marais persisted. "My men have worked hard for six months preparing for evaluations. We blew through the tests before we even took our at-sea training. If we get stuck going to sea now for more training, morale will suffer. Let's reward the men for exceeding our expectations, sir - let's do port calls."

d'Arz jumped in. "We'll still get the at-sea time, but the sailors will enjoy some good port calls in foreign locales."

Cassady sat thoughtfully for a few moments before picking up his phone. "Give me Admiralty West." Fifteen minutes later, he hung up and looked at his two captains. "All right, gentlemen. Admiralty West approves, so long as you carry out training in transit."

"That's more than fair enough, admiral," Marais replied, without the hint of smugness in his voice.

"And if the Foreign Ministry has to bail some of your men out of foreign jails, you're going to end up posted to Kerguelen."

"Now that's the Admiralty West that we've come to know and love," d'Arz said dryly.

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 3:46am

June 22 - Transcript of Announcement at Joint Press Conference
[SIZE=1]Present at the Joint Press Conference are French President Paul Theisman and Minister of Foreign Affairs Jean-Pierre Murail; Chancellor Konrad Adenauer and Foreign Minister Heinrich Bruning; Atlantean Prime Minister Agapetos Lyroios and Foreign Minister Leontiois Alexos; Russian President Grigory Pavlovich Ivanov and RF Foreign Minister Maksim Maksimovich Litvinov; and Chilean Foreign Minister Rodrigo Perez.[/SIZE]

Theisman: "The Republic of France has the honor of announcing the accession of the Deutsches Reich to full membership in the Franco-Atlantean-Russian Alliance organization, effective immediately, as of this date of June the Twenty-Second, in the year of our Lord Nineteen-Forty-Two. By the unanimous vote of the six member states, we intend to reform our treaty organization into the Grand Alliance.

"The purpose of our association remains unchanged from the original Franco-Atlantean-Russian Alliance, signed two decades ago in Paris. We have resolved to stand together to strengthen the cause of peace in Europe and around the world, and to prevent, so far as we are able, the repetition of the death and destruction inflicted upon Europe and the world by the Great War. The power blocs, deftly played off against each other for centuries, have given us the war to end all wars. The scars of that war remain with us today and have filled us with the resolve to declare Never Again.

"Germany's ascension to the membership of this Grand Alliance is a triumphant vindication of our lofty goals. Though the Great War pitted us against each other, we have both suffered in victory or defeat. I have seen this suffering with my own eyes, and throughout my life I have sought to bring about national reconciliation. Now, Germany will stand alongside us as a full peer and partner, an example to the world."

Adenauer: “The reception of Germany into this Grand Alliance signals to the world that the memories of the Great War have finally been laid to rest; that hatreds bred for generations are now forgotten. I have said on many occasions that Germany desires to be a force for peace in the world; the gathering together of these six great nations is by far the greatest guarantor of peace in Europe, and throughout the world, that has yet been seen. I believe that I can say with certainty that we stand at the door of increased prosperity for the people of our nations, brought about by cooperation and harmony.

“President Theisman has spoken most eloquently regarding the goals of the Grand Alliance – the strengthening of the peace and security of Europe and the furtherance of peace elsewhere. There may be those who may doubt the sincerity of those assembled here today to sign the treaty that sets forth those goals. To them I would say – judge us by our actions and not by the prejudices of your own interests.”

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 7:13am

Intriguing.

In a statement from the White House, President Wilkie mentions "The vast majority of the major wars since the fall of Rome have been in Europe involving in some way France or a French state, and Germany or German states. It may have taken nearly 1500 years, but if Frenchman and German can work together for the betterment of both, then perhaps that should inspire us all to attain such a lofty goal of peace and prosperity."

Tuesday, July 3rd 2012, 3:28am

June 19 - Le Nouvel Economiste
The Conference for the Development of Colonial Africa closed today in Paris. Hosted by Prime Minister Gaston Monnerville, the conference brought together veteran Colonial administrators and native regional leaders to set out a broad economic plan for the development of West African regions. The conference set out a number of goals for the improvement of infrastructure and education.

One of the major projects proposed at the conference was a railway connection linking together the Dakar-Niger Railway, the Conakry-Niger Railway, and the Abidjan-Ougadougou Railway, creating a proposed West African Railway system. By linking the three isolated railway systems of West Africa, supporters of the project hope to improve movement of internally-traded goods and facilitate the movement of passengers. The discussion of railways was heightened due to the start of a major strike by native workers on the Dakar-Niger Railway in Senegal. Several Senegalese leaders, speaking on behalf of the strikers, highlighted the conditions of native workers and suggested the inequalities enforced by the railway management be redressed before any new construction be considered.

Also proposed was a major irrigation project for the banks of the Niger River in Mali, specifically between the cities of Ségou and Mopti. This project is intended to encourage the growth of rice, sugarcane and other staple food crops, taking advantage of the water resources available along the river. Other agricultural infrastructure projects were suggested,

The improvement of educational infrastructure was one of the hottest topics of the week. French religious societies have taken the lead in setting up primary, secondary, and university level educational institutions, highly praised by both colonial administrators and local leaders alike. Despite the success of these new institutions, their number is still insufficient for the number of students seeking admission. Prime Minister Monnerville agreed to propose measures to support and encourage religious groups in the creation of new schools. Monnerville also suggested seeking out religious and missionary organizations from outside France, with American, British, and German groups specifically mentioned.

Friday, July 6th 2012, 3:26pm

July 1, 1942

Quoted

To: Minister of Foreign Affairs, Republic of France

Dear Sir,

As you know, our nations signed a treaty of non-agression on Jannuary 10, 1930. This treaty included provisions for the French construction of infrastructure in Persia, and emergency basing rights for France. This treaty was concluded for a period of ten years, with no explicit clauses related to automatic renewal.

Please be advised that the Government of Persia takes the position that the treaty expired on January 9, 1940.

Consistent with Article III, Paragraph IV, it is the intention of the Government of Persia to repay one half of previous French infrastructure investments. This sum [OOC: 0.8 IP, versus 1.5 IP previously invested] is proposed to be repaid in the following installments:

Q4/42: 0.4 IP
Q1 - Q4/43: 0.1 IP per quarter

The Government of Persia apologizes for the lateness in attending to this matter, and asks if this timetable is acceptable to France.

Sincerely,

Etc., etc.

OOC: Cross-post from the Persia thread. I can delete if requested.

Wednesday, July 11th 2012, 8:02pm

June 19
The cruiser Indochinie arrived in Sattahip, Thailand, to begin a week-long port call.

June 20
A number of Arab protesters gathered in Algiers today to march and protest the barring of Algerian native leaders from the Conference for the Development of Colonial Africa this week, with an estimated five hundred people gathering to protest.. Ahmed Ben Messali Hadj, the founder of the Algerian nationalist group Étoile nord-africaine, spoke to reporters on behalf of many of the marchers. "They say our Algeria as part of France, but we see otherwise. They deny us access to the corridors of power, and we protest." [1]

A spokesman for Prime Minister Monnerville addressed reporters about the protests. "Algerie is governed differently than the other colonies and protectorates in Africa. There is no reason to include them in such a conference, as they are not a colony."

June 22
The Salon des Tuileries, an art and sculpture show, opened today in Paris.

June 23 - Paris-Soir
Public reaction to yesterday's announcement of the creation of the Grande Alliance has varied substantially. Some veterans groups and pro-nationalist organizations have protested Germany's participation, but opposition has proven to be unorganized and relatively muted. Some veterans groups, however, have welcomed the move, with the president of the Organisation nationale des anciens combattants, writing in a letter to the editor, "There is no victory more complete than to turn an enemy into a friend."

----------------------------------------------

- Note [1]: Historically, France regarded Algeria as an integral part of France, not as a protectorate, colony, or mandate: hence "Algeria is France". In theory, France would regard Algeria like the United States would regard California: a region with an individual culture but still part of the whole.

Friday, July 13th 2012, 9:06pm

June 29
The battlecruisers Dunkerque and Strasbourg departed Brest today to conduct at-sea training and make port calls.