You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, May 14th 2003, 4:32pm

Saved thread - curious

Quoted

thesmilingassassin
Spammer wanna be
(4/16/03 8:30:49 pm)
curious
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm curious to see how we will come up with aircrat designs. So far i've only been able to fudge dementions and engine power as wellas an armament but no real science behind the design.

aowwt
Administrator
(4/16/03 10:26:33 pm)
Re: curious
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well we have ricks program but i will have to figure out a better form of it for us to use.
Lessons for modern warfare:
"human intel is necessary, always be on the look out, and expect the unexpected"

Come to the Wargamer Forum at JPs Panzers Board

Rooijen10
Spammer wanna be
(4/17/03 7:04:19 am)
Re: curious
I've found out that the planebuilder is not as easy as Springstyle. At a certain point my 'maximum take-off weight' was lower than my 'empty weight'. Back to the drawing board, I guess...

Walter

King of Riva
Spammer wanna be
(4/17/03 8:16:37 am)
SAE planes
I´m not using planebuilder. I played around with that tool and...found it crappy.

For this SIM I will rely on well known ressources: books. There were so many planes around in the real world historically that I see no reason to create my own.

So some of the planes used in the SAE/RSAN are common types like Fokkers etc. while others will be renamed and called "southafrican" but resemble that were actually around in those days but not that well known.

Just one example: When it comes down to a standard monoplane fighter for the early/mid 30s, I´ll use the Heinkel He 112, of which a seaborne version will also be introduced (think of some kind of south african Seafire). The plane was a good one with a huge potential but the Germans were too stupid to see it and decided to go with the cramped Me 109 (still a good fighter, though).

Rooijen10
Spammer wanna be
(4/17/03 9:38:27 am)
Re: SAE planes
I have been thinking about using data based on existing planes rather than the Planebuilder and slightly adjusting it. So you have for instance a plane built by South Africa called the SAAI-42. :-)
The SAAI-42 would be something like a Heinkel He 112 so you use the data of the HE 112. Add a few kilometers range or increase its speed a bit. As long as you don't change it too much, I think it wouldn't be too unrealistic.

(SAAI = South African Aircraft Indusry. However 'Saai' is also the Dutch word for 'boring'.)

Walter

thesmilingassassin
Spammer wanna be
(4/17/03 5:09:31 pm)
lol
Nothing boring about a squadron of HE-112's swarming around your base strafeing it!! I was thinking the same thing and actually the HE-112 was something i considered! I may wind up incorperateing some american and british designs though.

King of Riva
Spammer wanna be
(4/17/03 7:38:03 pm)
For several reasons...
...german designs fit me best. First of all I have more references about them as of others (as with the ships, btw) and second in some parts of the SAE there are many people of german origin which run industry and have good relations to Germany.

But the main reason really is that I have more infos on german stuff than of anything else together.

thesmilingassassin
Spammer wanna be
(4/17/03 7:49:18 pm)
To me the most interesting german design...
...was the HE-100 designed to suceed the HE-112 after it lost out to the BF-109 as the main german fighter. Shortage's of the DB 601 engine resulted in a very small number being built. All the pre-production aircraft were sold to either the USSR or Japan and the 12 production aircraft basically were used to defend the Heinkel factory. My favorite german plane is the Heinkel HE-111, i just like the look of it, and the HE-177 looks like a 111 on steroids.