You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, June 28th 2013, 5:50pm

Argentine Aerial Developments 1944

There are a few new types entering service and/or development this year.

The Air Force has completed deliveries of 232 refurbished Junkers Ju-88s from Germany, 55 are equipped as torpedo bombers. Under the new designation policy these are the Junkers B-04 Ju-88.

FMA I-02R
This is a modified I-02 fighter with a ventral camera mounted in the rear. Two machine guns are removed to save weight. FMA has developed a special retrofit package with electrical lens heater etc. for the camera of British origin. All 24 conversions will be carried out by service personnel during overhauls throughout early 1944.

I.Ae 24 B-01 Calquin (Golden Eagle)
Designed 1942 as a fast light bomber. First flight June 5 1943. In July 1943, 144 were ordered and deliveries began in January 1944 but the order was halved in favour of the B-02 in late 1944.
Dimensions: span 16.3m; length 12m; height 3.4m; wing area 38 sq m; wing loading 189kg/ sq m; power loading 3.42kg/hp
Structure: wooden monocoque fuselage plywood covering developed by Instituto Aerotechico and Entel. The fuselage is constructed as two separate halves which are subsequently joined together. Wooden tail and tailplane construction with plywood covering (the plywood is entirely produced by the Instituto Aerotécnico). Rudder and elevators wooden framed with fabric covering. Mid position wing with two wooden carry-through spars and stringers wooden framed ailerons with fabric covering, wooden slotted flaps and two landing flaps. Retractable main undercarriage with hydraulic brakes and twin oil-air shock absorbers on each leg and a retractable tail wheel.
Weights: empty 5,340kg; max weight 8,164kg and payload 1860kg
Powerplant: 1200hp Ripon R-1200-010A supercharged radial engines with Hamilton Standard Hydromatic 23-E-50 propellers
Performance: max speed 273mph; cruising speed 236mph; range 708 miles; rate of climb 2,460ft/min and service ceiling 32,800ft
Capacity: pilot and navigator/ bomb-aimer seated side-by-side in an enclosed cockpit with ventral door
Armament: Four 13mm Browning HMG (capability to be replaced by 20mm cannon) in lower nose, bomb bay for 800kg bombload and 12x 75mm rockets underwing
Equipment: full controls and navigation equipment including a radio receiver/transmitter, HF/DF set, naval co-operation beacon and Sperry autopilot, two cameras can be fitted in cabin floor, one flare chute, two rescue dinghies and mechanical bombsight

I.Ae 28 B-02 Calquin

The second I.Ae.24 prototype was converted with two 1,760hp Rolls-Royce Merlin XII V-12 engines during July 1944 and first flew with these new engines on 24 October 1944. Performance tests went well and orders for 144 were soon placed and entry into service began during the summer of 1945.
Dimensions: span 16.3m; length 12m; height 3.4m; wing area 38 sq m; wing loading 249kg/ sq m; power loading 2.68kg/hp
Structure: wooden monocoque fuselage plywood covering developed by Instituto Aerotechico and Entel. The fuselage is constructed as two separate halves which are subsequently joined together. Wooden tail and tailplane construction with plywood covering (the plywood is entirely produced by the Instituto Aerotécnico). Rudder and elevators wooden framed with fabric covering. Mid position wing with two wooden carry-through spars and stringers wooden framed ailerons with fabric covering, wooden slotted flaps and two landing flaps. Retractable main undercarriage with hydraulic brakes and twin oil-air shock absorbers on each leg and a retractable tail wheel.
Weights: empty 5,840kg; max weight 9,464kg and payload 3500kg
Powerplant: two 1,760hp Rolls-Royce Merlin XII V-12 engines with de Havilland 4/4400/5 3.66m diameter four-bladed hydromatic constant-speed control propellers with auto-feathering and clocked rotation
Performance: max speed 366mph; cruising speed 310mph; range 1,105 miles; rate of climb 2,850ft/min and service ceiling 33,000ft
Capacity: pilot and navigator/ bomb-aimer seated side-by-side in an enclosed cockpit with ventral door
Armament: four 20mm Orkileon in lower nose, bomb bay for 1000kg bombload and 12x 75mm rockets underwing
Equipment: full controls and navigation equipment including a radio receiver/transmitter, HF/DF set, naval co-operation beacon and Sperry autopilot, two cameras can be fitted in cabin floor, one flare chute, two rescue dinghies and mechanical bombsight

I.Ae.30 I-03 Ñancú
Designed by Luis Barron and his team during 1944 to meet the need for a long-range fighter. The I.Ae. 30 is an all-metal fighter, powered by two Rolls-Royce Merlin V-12 engines. The armament is designed for both attacking enemy bombers and ground attack. By the end of 1943, a contract was received for three prototypes. The first should fly in mid-1945.