You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, May 27th 2011, 11:29pm

US Navy Expansion

Following up a question I was asked elsewhere, I consulted the web site US Shipbuilding History .

This site has a great deal of tabular information on ships built in the United States and in Canada. I recommend it for anyone seriously interested in historical naval construction. The site also has information on merchant shipbuilding.

The question asked pertained to the difficulty of finding crews. I've abstracted the major warships delivered to the US Navy in 1941 versus 1942 to illustrate that a navy can undergo significant expansion when there are sufficient resources allocated to training and provision of crews. Fleet auxiliaries, amphibious shipping and minor combat types are excluded.