You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 1:54pm

Maintenance suggestions

I'm starting this thread because I agree with HOo, one flaw in the current sim is that there's no charge for maintenance, nothing to stop a country from building and building and building. Until a ship needs a refit, it's effectively "free" once it's built.

A simple suggestion for maintenance - ships cost 2-5% of ships cost per quarter (exact value to be determined). This is to cover maintenance, salaries, etc.

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 2:12pm

I understand what HOo is saying here but isn't this covered under the current infrastructure rules?

It is mentioned that day to day running equals 99-96% damage, ie up to 4% percent damage caused.

Ships over refit time lose combat effectiveness points. A manual refit would solve these problems. Since the tonnage is so small to rectify these things and no docks needed is there much point is adding more complex equations to work out which ships need repairs? In large navies the percentage would have to increase, GB USA etc have huge fleets and the bills would be immense compared to a small nation like Persia.

Maybe ships should be refitted every five years (25% cost refit)?

Ubiwan

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 2:21pm

I think exactly the same as yo Hrolf ! Thus it is prevented that ships shoot such as mushrooms from the soil.

A fleet must be supplied. And if this meant that dozens of ships must be scrapped , then it is like that!

But we have also to modify the manual, because with the existing rules we have a lot of problems.

I think costs per quarter are better (and more realistic) than a refit every 5 year.

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 2:41pm

Hood,

It's not so much repairs as general upkeep of the ships, operations costs, and crew training and salaries, without which the crews either mutiny or are nearly useless.

All,

Another addition could be made to the previous simple system: ships with higher tech gear could pay more for their maintenance. For example, a ship with radar could pay an additional 1% per quarter, as could a ship with sonar, or one with large self-loading guns. A ship with all of these features could pay extra maintenance on all of those expensive new toys that SS really won't charge us for.

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 4:39pm

Somewhere in this forum, Roger (Alt_Naval) initiated some discussion on this topic - may be worth a look.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 4:47pm

Yeah, Roger had some good ideas but I never fully understood his math, IIRC. :o/ Silly me.

No tech trees here, so no higher costs for higher tech. That´s too complex and not part of SS.

[Even though this could some some nations to come up with too many innovations......]

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 4:53pm

Quoted

Yeah, Roger had some good ideas but I never fully understood his math, IIRC. :o/ Silly me.

Don't worry, Hooman. I had the same difficulties with his Math. ^_^;;

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 4:53pm

Inconceivable!

Wednesday, August 2nd 2006, 4:58pm

Yes Roger has made several posts on this issue. I agree maintaining ships sholud cost something, but how much?

We could have increasing costs as the ships age (discounting 50-75% refits which would restore the vessel to new)

We could simualte costs by frequent small refits (5-15% cost)

We could use the above scheme but if it took half of our points/tonnage each qaurter then smaller navies would be trapped with small navies, there would be no incentive to build others would lay up ships to avoid paying and in wartime costs may be massive.

I do not agree with including wages, after all we then would have to pay for spares, manpower both on ships and ashore, ammo, aircraft etc and fuel. How many nations here have enough oil for their fleets? How much is imported and at what cost.

IP and materials are produce of the economy, not expenditures taxes would pay for wages etc. We can't sim this and we could open a can of worms here, a complex can at that. I'm all for realism but we just have to ignore some things.

Just my thoughts on this issue, if someone comes up with a workable and simple plan then we could vote on it.