You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, July 16th 2004, 10:46pm

10 October 1923

Diplomatic communication from the government of France to the government of Germany:

The following communication has been given by M. Aristide Briand to the German Ambassador to France, and by the French Ambassador to Germany to the German Foreign Minister.

From M. Aristide Briand, Foreign Minister of the Republic of France

"I have the honor to state that during our recent victorious campaign, we insisted on the importance of healing the wounds of the recent war. Our opponents in their time in power, insisted on aggravating them, to, as we all have seen, their personal profit. Their example has reinforced the determination of our government to give substance to this committment. The government of France propose a meeting with the government of Germany to discuss issues that have been the cause of recent tensions in Franco-German relations. Chief among these issues are reparations specified by the Treaty of Versailles. The French government takes account of Russian President Kerensky's observations in May, 1921:

quoted here

And finds it is in a position to agree with them.

I have the honor to propose that this meeting occur quickly, at a suitable location, and I await the reply of the German government."

Saturday, July 17th 2004, 5:22am

11 October 1923

German Foreign Affairs Minister Friedrich von Rosenburg delivers this note, and a bottle of schnapps, to the French ambassador to Germany the following morning:

"On behalf of the Government of Germany I wish to express my thanks for your correspondence of 10 October. I have spoken with Chancellor Cuno and Finance Minister Luther, both of whom agree that a discussion on reparations and other issues could prove beneficial for both of our nations.

"In light of your recent electoral triumph, we invite the Government of France to select a time and location once it has concluded the transitional phase of its term. Chancellor Cuno will be available for much of the next several weeks."

Sunday, July 18th 2004, 1:44pm

Rouen, 25 October 1923?

French Foreign Minister Briand gives the following note, and a bottle of Chateau-Lafite, to the German Ambassador:

I have the honor to thank the Government of Germany for their reply to M. Briand's note of 10 October 1923.

I have the honor to state that the Government of France would like to suggest the city of Grenoble, on 25 October 1923.

(Addendum, not for publication, added personally by M. Briand immediately before handing the note to the German Ambassador)

The alpine air this time of year may be useful for cooling the reaction from certain elements in both our countries, and may facilitate the security of the meetings.

Monday, July 19th 2004, 2:28pm

"The time and place as suggested are acceptable to the Government of Germany. It is recommended that our respective Foreign Affairs departments develop a draft agenda for the meeting as soon as practical, such that participants can be briefed beforehand.

"The Government of Germany looks forward to the Grenoble meeting and hopes for a mutually satisfactory discussion."